Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Freddie_Sugden)
    what do you reckon i have got then?
    i reckong you would have got a A at minimum u still have a chance to get an a*, hopefully the grade boundaries will be lowered! just do better in phyics and chem x

ReputationRep:
    This exam was horrible! it was so harddd

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TooEasy123)
    it said something along the lines of "How does bile help with the digestion of milk? (2 marks)"

btw the question was not about 2 ways in which plants use energy from respiration. i remember it clearly: "Give 2 ways in which a herbivore uses its energy in respiration"
    Yeah thats right, thats what the question asked I just said Movement and Heat

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TurkeyMCB)
    The paper was hard and very strange..
    Here's what I wrote for some of the questions:
    Carbon Compound question: Amino acids (Proteins??) and Glucose
    Ice cold drink: More water available for sweat so more evaporation and more heat is lost so temp. of surface of skin increases.
    DNA question: It has small sections called genes which code to combine amino acids in a particular order to manufacture proteins.

Hope the grade boundaries are low..
    :/

in pink? how does sweating increase temperature?

i pure when you drink a cold drink your hyptohalamus(LOL) detects the drop in core temperature therefore contricts bloodflow to reduce heat loss by heat radation:confused:

ReputationRep:
    it said how do the sweat glands help increase the temperature (if my memory serves me right), your answer doesn't state how it might help, i might be wrong

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sendi_12)
    in pink? how does sweating increase temperature?

i pure when you drink a cold drink your hyptohalamus(LOL) detects the drop in core temperature therefore contricts bloodflow to reduce heat loss by heat radation:confused:
    surely if ya drink a cold drink, your sweat glands close to prevent heat loss by evaporation.

like sendi said, surely if ya sweat then ya temperature will decrease because of what i said above

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adil12)
    Yeah thats right, thats what the question asked I just said Movement and Heat
    hey adil can you remember the question about lactose..

well i was wondering, did the question say show how table 1 with pH levels shows lactase is not digested in the stomach?

or did it say something about lactase being the enzyme and how fast it broke something down with different pH levels

got a feelin i misread it lol cuz i basically did the test paper from back to front

ReputationRep:

well i was wondering, did the question say show how table 1 with pH levels shows lactase is not digested in the stomach?

or did it say something about lactase being the enzyme and how fast it broke something down with different pH levels

got a feelin i misread it lol cuz i basically did the test paper from back to front
    back to front does that help lol? and it was about a statement and prove it was wrong:

something like lactase is produced or works in the stomach of a dog

and i put its from from the table the optimum ph is 8 therefore it will denature the enzyme as the ph in the stomach is acidic, and i just wrote aloda shiz

ReputationRep:

It was just a short statement, something along the lines of 'Lactase is produced in the stomach' and then it asked you to explain why that statement is incorrect, using Table 1. I think all you had to say was the stomach is acidic and lactase worked better in a more alkaline pH.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sendi_12)
    back to front does that help lol? and it was about a statement and prove it was wrong:

something like lactase is produced or works in the stomach of a dog

and i put its from from the table the optimum ph is 8 therefore it will denature the enzyme as the ph in the stomach is acidic, and i just wrote aloda shiz
    i saw the sanky diagram things and couldnt be arsed to work the answers out so i did the back first. maybe bad idea cuz i did the last part of questions first without readin the info at the beginnin of the questions lol

i thought it said "lactose is digested in the stomach, use the table to show this statement is untrue"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lemony :))
    It was just a short statement, something along the lines of 'Lactase is produced in the stomach' and then it asked you to explain why that statement is incorrect, using Table 1. I think all you had to say was the stomach is acidic and lactase worked better in a more alkaline pH.
    yeah i know, i put about the alkali conditions working best etc. but then i put "this shows that lactose isnt digested in the stomach" will i lose a mark for that or is that right

ReputationRep:
    i almost forgot how to do the diagrams, i started counting each square, then i remembered it was the width of the arrows, i spent 5 mins, i still finished with 10 mins left o.O

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KoK)
    i almost forgot how to do the diagrams, i started counting each square, then i remembered it was the width of the arrows, i spent 5 mins, i still finished with 10 mins left o.O
    me too lol but luckily the width of each added up to 40 MJs (same as total energy in). i didnt know there was 2 questions on the very back of the paper until 5 mins left!!!!

ReputationRep:

It said something like "Lactase is produced in the stomach. Use the data from the table to explain why this statement is unlikely".

By the way what were your answers for the sankey diagram? The 2 maths ones?

ReputationRep:
    By the way what were your answers for the sankey diagram? The 2 maths ones?

20MJ and 1/10 or 10%

ReputationRep:
    Kool thanks I got the same
    And I am sure these ones are right too, but I just want to make sure if you guys think they are or not, for these questions:

For what herbivores use energy for I said movement and heat (2 marks).

Carbon compounds in plants I said proteins and carbohydrates (2 marks).

For the photosynthesis one I said number of bubbles produced and time taken to produce bubbles, e.g. per minute (2 marks)

ReputationRep:
    The paper was hard and very strange..
    Here's what I wrote for some of the questions:
    Carbon Compound question: Amino acids (Proteins??) and Glucose
    Ice cold drink: More water available for sweat so more evaporation and more heat is lost so temp. of surface of skin increases.
    DNA question: It has small sections called genes which code to combine amino acids in a particular order to manufacture proteins.

Hope the grade boundaries are low..
    :/
    Well I thought that as the heat is being lost from the surface of the skin, surely the temperature of the surface of the skin increases?

ReputationRep:
    Well I thought that as the heat is being lost from the surface of the skin, surely the temperature of the surface of the skin increases?
    If you lose heat, you are losing the hot stuff, so surface of the skin cools xD

ReputationRep:
    If you lose heat, you are losing the hot stuff, so surface of the skin cools xD
    Oh, but I just thought that the temp of your skin would increase as the evaporation of sweat heats it up. I don't mean the core body temperature. I most likely mucked that question up big time anyway.. :p:

ReputationRep:
    Oh, but I just thought that the temp of your skin would increase as the evaporation of sweat heats it up. I don't mean the core body temperature. I most likely mucked that question up big time anyway.. :p:
    Evaporation of sweat helps to cool the body man

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 26, 2010

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Aston University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.