Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JDOGG16)
    Heyy

I was just wondering whether people have started revising for the skills paper on Tuesday? And if so, what do you think is going to come up in it?
    Knowing how retarded the examiners are, Cold environments.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lyam)
    Nah I spoke about China reducing it's births by 338 milliom from 1979 due to approaching famine. I put about it's population rising 300,000,000 between 1950 and 1975 and having 1/4 of the worlds population in only 7% of arable land, but I didn't mention anything about the age of the structure, I don't remember if I put anything about them facing a huge aged population in 2025, but I don't think I did. And for Africa I spoke about the nation having a food surplus in 2005 and yet massive famine in areas like niger and Chad, suggesting it was due to distribution of resources, not lack of resources. so as you can see, nothing relating to structure = 0 marks. I feel pretty disgusted with myself tbh, if I wasn't so rushed i'd have read it better and maybe known what to put :/
    Yehh I see what you mean now.

But no way will it be '0'.

Youll get some marks for using Malthus and B. And hopefully some of what you said slightly insinuated structure

But then I suppose - they were testing us werent they then.

But apart from that - the health anoyyed me a bit too.
    As in they didnt ask for a CS although I put one in, and just briefly spoke about age, gender and wealth and its relation to access to health :/
    in bullet points

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kay :))
    Yehh I see what you mean now.

But no way will it be '0'.

Youll get some marks for using Malthus and B. And hopefully some of what you said slightly insinuated structure

But then I suppose - they were testing us werent they then.

But apart from that - the health anoyyed me a bit too.
    As in they didnt ask for a CS although I put one in, and just briefly spoke about age, gender and wealth and its relation to access to health :/
    in bullet points
    It said with reference to a local case study darling (:

ReputationRep:
    Rivers, Floods and Management
    OS map extract of Dentdale, N. Yorks.

Describe the long profile of the River Dee from one of its sources at to the bridge in Dent at . (4)
    Contrast the cross profile of the valley occupied by the river at with that at . (4)
    Explain why a river valley changes in its cross profile downstream. (7)
    Compare and comment on the economic and social effects of flooding in two contrasting areas of the world. (15)

Cold Environments
    Define the term 'periglacial'. (2)
    Outline the process of frost shattering. (3)
    Explain the annual changes in the active layer above the permafrost. (4)
    Describe the patterned ground shown in Fig 3 and explain its formation. (6)
    Discuss how a balance may be found between protection and development in Antarctica. (15)

Coastal Environments

Describe the characteristics of the waves shown in Fig 3. (2)
    Outline the effects of constructive waves such as those shown in Fig 3. (3)
    Explain the role of sub-aerial weathering in coastal environments. (4)
    Explain the formation of headlands and bays. (4)
    Discuss issues relating to a coastal area where soft engineering management strategies have been adopted. (15)

Hot desert environments and their margins
    Distinguish between arid and semi-arid areas. (2)
    Describe the characteristics of the vegetation shown in Fig 4. (3)
    Explain how vegetation of arid areas is adapted to the climate. (4)
    Describe and explain the different sources of water in hot desert environments. (6)
    Assess the sustainability of different strategies used to manage land use, including agriculture in contrasting arid areas of the world. (15)

Population Change
    Complete Fig 5 (partially completed DTM diagram) by adding appropriate labels to the diagram. (4)
    To what extent does Malaysia fit the DTM for the time period shown in Fig 6 (a table with BR, DR and total population for Malaysia from 1960 - 2007)? (6)
    Describe how the population structure of a country in stage 2 of the DTM is different from that of a country in stage 4. (5)
    Comment on the impact of different population structures on the balance between population and resources. (15)

Food supply issues
    What is meant by the geopolitics of food? (4)
    Outline the characteristics of an extensive livestock farming system. (5)
    Using Fig 7 (extract from a geog publication about coffee production) and your own knowledge, explain the problems for growers of switching to cash crop production. (6)
    Describe two contrasting approaches to managing food supply and demand. (15)

Energy Issues
    Distinguish between primary and secondary energy. (4)
    Desribe and suggest reasons for the changes shown in Fig 8 (graph of "energy mix for electricity production in the UK from 1990 to 2004). (6)
    For one non-renewable source of energy, summarise features of world trade in the commodity. (5)
    Discuss advantages and disadvantages of two contrasting approaches to managing energy. (15)

Health issues
    Distinguish between morbidity and mortality. (4)
    For one 'disease of affluence' summarise features of its global distribution. (5)
    Using Fig 9 (extract from the website of a tobacco TNC) and your own knowledge, comment on the role which the transnational tobacco corporations play in influencing world health. (6)
    With reference to a local case study, assess the relative importance of age, gender and wealth for the provision of health care. (15)

To remove any mistakes concerning questions (:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lyam)
    It said with reference to a local case study darling (:
    It did :|

Oh noe wait - the pop didn't init! (the sounds really funny online, say it fast) hahaha

ReputationRep:
    Did any of you do the energy section?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lyam)
    Rivers, Floods and Management
    OS map extract of Dentdale, N. Yorks.

Describe the long profile of the River Dee from one of its sources at to the bridge in Dent at . (4)
    Contrast the cross profile of the valley occupied by the river at with that at . (4)
    Explain why a river valley changes in its cross profile downstream. (7)
    Compare and comment on the economic and social effects of flooding in two contrasting areas of the world. (15)

Cold Environments
    Define the term 'periglacial'. (2)
    Outline the process of frost shattering. (3)
    Explain the annual changes in the active layer above the permafrost. (4)
    Describe the patterned ground shown in Fig 3 and explain its formation. (6)
    Discuss how a balance may be found between protection and development in Antarctica. (15)

Coastal Environments

Describe the characteristics of the waves shown in Fig 3. (2)
    Outline the effects of constructive waves such as those shown in Fig 3. (3)
    Explain the role of sub-aerial weathering in coastal environments. (4)
    Explain the formation of headlands and bays. (4)
    Discuss issues relating to a coastal area where soft engineering management strategies have been adopted. (15)

Hot desert environments and their margins
    Distinguish between arid and semi-arid areas. (2)
    Describe the characteristics of the vegetation shown in Fig 4. (3)
    Explain how vegetation of arid areas is adapted to the climate. (4)
    Describe and explain the different sources of water in hot desert environments. (6)
    Assess the sustainability of different strategies used to manage land use, including agriculture in contrasting arid areas of the world. (15)

Population Change
    Complete Fig 5 (partially completed DTM diagram) by adding appropriate labels to the diagram. (4)
    To what extent does Malaysia fit the DTM for the time period shown in Fig 6 (a table with BR, DR and total population for Malaysia from 1960 - 2007)? (6)
    Describe how the population structure of a country in stage 2 of the DTM is different from that of a country in stage 4. (5)
    Comment on the impact of different population structures on the balance between population and resources. (15)

Food supply issues
    What is meant by the geopolitics of food? (4)
    Outline the characteristics of an extensive livestock farming system. (5)
    Using Fig 7 (extract from a geog publication about coffee production) and your own knowledge, explain the problems for growers of switching to cash crop production. (6)
    Describe two contrasting approaches to managing food supply and demand. (15)

Energy Issues
    Distinguish between primary and secondary energy. (4)
    Desribe and suggest reasons for the changes shown in Fig 8 (graph of "energy mix for electricity production in the UK from 1990 to 2004). (6)
    For one non-renewable source of energy, summarise features of world trade in the commodity. (5)
    Discuss advantages and disadvantages of two contrasting approaches to managing energy. (15)

Health issues
    Distinguish between morbidity and mortality. (4)
    For one 'disease of affluence' summarise features of its global distribution. (5)
    Using Fig 9 (extract from the website of a tobacco TNC) and your own knowledge, comment on the role which the transnational tobacco corporations play in influencing world health. (6)
    With reference to a local case study, assess the relative importance of age, gender and wealth for the provision of health care. (15)

To remove any mistakes concerning questions (:
    Where did you find all of that!?

It actually doesnt look that bad :|

Just the time man - the time.

ReputationRep:
    It did :|

Oh noe wait - the pop didn't init! (the sounds really funny online, say it fast) hahaha

Nah population didn't ask for one, if I had understood the population question i'd be confident for an A right now

ReputationRep:
    Where did you find all of that!?

It actually doesnt look that bad :|

Just the time man - the time.
    I ****** up the tobacco question xD it doesn't look bad as individual questions, now that I actually know what they mean, but when every minute counts and you're writing faster than you can speak you tend not to spend too much time processing data. Cold environments questions small questions were so loverly (:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lyam)
    Nah population didn't ask for one, if I had understood the population question i'd be confident for an A right now
    Arr. Look don't worry.
    Regardless - if you get SOME marks that will help you.

As long as others, well most was ok, then itll be fine, i hope.

Hopefully the grade boundaries will go down or STAY DOWN haha

How were people in you knew about it?
    Just sit tight and wait for Auguest and focus on the other exams for now

Thats like me, but who knows. I cant sit her estimating forever.

Just have to wait really.

ReputationRep:
    Arr. Look don't worry.
    Regardless - if you get SOME marks that will help you.

As long as others, well most was ok, then itll be fine, i hope.

Hopefully the grade boundaries will go down or STAY DOWN haha

How were people in you knew about it?
    Just sit tight and wait for Auguest and focus on the other exams for now

Thats like me, but who knows. I cant sit her estimating forever.

Just have to wait really.
    See I know you're right but it's so demotivating! It's not like I didn't know it all either, I knew the course like the back of my hand, hopefully the examiner will observe my abundance of facts and figures/knowledge (even on the pop. one) and be as generous as possible in areas where I might not have otherwise scored marks, to make up for my not scoring marks on the pop. one, if you get me . such as if I scored 5/7 on the patterned ground one they give me 6/7 :P I'm relying on good human nature!

ReputationRep:
    Energy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JDOGG16)
    Energy
    No-one in the country did the energy section looked easy though.

ReputationRep:
    Added my score up afterwards, and hopefully the grade boundaries will drop. The skills paper hopefully will go better!

ReputationRep:
    Haha, yer it wasnt too bad, much like the rest of the paper really, decent in places, not so decent in others.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lyam)
    See I know you're right but it's so demotivating! It's not like I didn't know it all either, I knew the course like the back of my hand, hopefully the examiner will observe my abundance of facts and figures/knowledge (even on the pop. one) and be as generous as possible in areas where I might not have otherwise scored marks, to make up for my not scoring marks on the pop. one, if you get me . such as if I scored 5/7 on the patterned ground one they give me 6/7 :P I'm relying on good human nature!
    I know it really is.

But I find after a while, you get back on your feet.

Yehh I know it was kind of annoying. Few landforms came up.
    And stuff - but in that sense it was easy.

Yehh Hopefully

Figures is a good thing

I wish you all the best though, and good luck with skills!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lyam)
    I ****** up the tobacco question xD it doesn't look bad as individual questions, now that I actually know what they mean, but when every minute counts and you're writing faster than you can speak you tend not to spend too much time processing data. Cold environments questions small questions were so loverly (:
    AHAH sameeee! I was russshinnng. but managed to add an example.

I know its so true.
    Arr no I did coasts

ReputationRep:
    AHAH sameeee! I was russshinnng. but managed to add an example.

I know its so true.
    Arr no I did coasts

HAve you got MSN? we could revise skills together (:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lyam)
    HAve you got MSN? we could revise skills together (:
    Haha that was incredibly poor.

I hardly go on msn now so it would be rather pointless :/

But we can speak on here?

Chi-Squared? :cool:

What college/school are you based @ btw?

ReputationRep:
    Haha that was incredibly poor.

I hardly go on msn now so it would be rather pointless :/

But we can speak on here?

Chi-Squared? :cool:

What college/school are you based @ btw?
    yeah we can, I just thought it'd be easier over MSN but i'm not too fussed, erm, I don't remember what Chi squared is, I was away that lesson, came back and my teacher didn't go over it with me so I just left it :L

I'm at Lincoln college in erm, Lincoln :P you?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 2, 2010

University open days

• University of East London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19
  • University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Aston University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.