Poor Uni, High Grade Watch

User414413
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by joe_t_87)
everyone seems to of missed the point about the whole ethnic diversity

it has nothing to do with being p.c to please the government.

it's to do with the banks client base, more and more people and corporations from emerging economies are becoming increasingly important to IB revenues. thats why the banks are interested in interpersonal skills with ethnicities

nothing to do with the goverment. period.
China = LSE/Imperial

India, considering their are a lot of Indians at Oxbridge, Imperial, UCL etc and Birmingham (if worse comes to worst they can rely on that uni)

Africa, considering it's not that important, I would guess that the ~50 that end up in oxbridge, lse, imperial and UCL would suffice.
PrinceOfCats
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Time to stop taking minstrel boy's bait. You've been trolled.
Antzlck
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago

Also the reason why barclays come to the uni is because UEL is one of, if not, the most ethnically diverse universities in the country. They seek to take on students who have mixed with cultures from every corner of the world.

Places like oxford and cambridge are full of stuck up little white kids who live in their own worlds. They may think they have lived because they have been on the cliche Spa Travel package to thailand and south america but they've always had daddy to bail them out.
I'm at Imperial and absolutely get to 'mix with cultures from every corner of the world'. Yes, it's full of awful nauseating stuck up little white kids as well. So just because a uni is good, doesn't mean it's not diverse. In fact a good uni is going to attract students from all over the world, no offense but only the internationals who really haven't a clue will come over here to study at UEL. Unfortunately, there is a lack of BRITISH ethnic diversity at my uni, not the unis fault its due to the awful multi-tier education system we have in this country which effectively leaves vast amounts of young people on the scrap heap, then we imprison them and wonder why they turn to crime
Bramlow
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Diversity is mostly a HR agenda. The bankers don't really care. Their focus is still on getting the best people.

I don't think the "changing balance of power" is a major factor. Yes, the world is internationalizing but banks have been internationalized for years. Of course they want people in India who can navigate that culture. But that's why they hire people...in India!

If anything internationalization strengthens the importance of Oxbridge. In my experience, foreigners are even more enamoured by Oxbridge than we are, when in truth Chinese universities like Tsinghua and Peking almost certainly turn out brighter students.

But it doesn't make that much difference, really.

Bottom line: nothing has changed in the last ten years to make UEL an attractive place to recruit from.
Zweihander
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Bramlow)
If anything internationalization strengthens the importance of Oxbridge. In my experience, foreigners are even more enamoured by Oxbridge than we are, when in truth Chinese universities like Tsinghua and Peking almost certainly turn out brighter students
I watched a documentray a while back about a Chinese school, where there were 11 year olds doing calculus on abacuses, whereas primary school kids in Britian struggle to do basic numeracy with calculators. I'm surprised the banks even bother to recruit from UK universities, they should just outsource eveything to China.
Bramlow
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Zweihander)
I watched a documentray a while back about a Chinese school, where there were 11 year olds doing calculus on abacuses, whereas primary school kids in Britian struggle to do basic numeracy with calculators. I'm surprised the banks even bother to recruit from UK universities.
True enough, but the top Chinese universities are better than Oxbridge for a much simpler reason.

Oxford and Cambridge take students from the 17/18-year-old segment of a 60 million population (plus a few internationals). Tsinghua and Peking take on similar numbers from a population of 1.3 billion.

You can tell from the proportions that TsiPek are going to be much more 'elite' in their intake, which is why employers love hiring their grads.
WannabeCityBoy
Badges: 0
Report 8 years ago
You might find it a little more difficult to get through the "online applications" but I would not listen to the people above saying you have no chance. I was in the similar position but I have managed to slip in through smaller firms. I can tell you without a shadow of a doubt though, forget what you know, it will be via the relevant people you meet along the way that you get into the city.
WokSz
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I think when applying one should also remember that the Investment Banking world is not just the Bulge Bracket firms. There are tons and tons of smaller boutiques that also have positions available for students, and are sometimes for forgiving towards the type of University you went through. Granted, not all of them will give you the same deal exposure as BB or the elite Boutiques (Greenhill, Evercore) will, but it's better than doing marketing at Tesco.
WannabeCityBoy
Badges: 0
Report 8 years ago
You make an excellent point WokSz. You just have to look a little closer.
Einheri
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Zweihander)
You think you're better than a Oxbridge student just because your class is more ethnically diverse :facepalm2:
Don't disraspek da East Lundun massiv, blud.
ish90an
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
do you know any decent unis that take transfer-ins?
i have looked around but nothing seems obvious. I tried UCL but i guess that was aiming too high right?
Warwick, Manchester, Edinburgh and Glasgow do take in transferring students as far as I know(at least for my course). The best way is to contact your subject's department and ask.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (192)
27.79%
No (499)
72.21%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise