Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Affectation)
    Fingers crossed for you. Don't worry. I know what it's like to be rejected - I tried for Manchester first time round and got rejected after interview. So I worked extra hard second time round and thankfully got into Cambridge (stuff you Manchester!). It's just stupidly competitive now. But hopefully it's not too late in the year for you. I know that Manchester interview throughout the year if they're of any interest to you?
    If you need any advice, feel free to PM me anytime :-)
    Thanks . I suppose it's just down to the individual uni's criteria for accepting people and yeah it's really competitive isn't it! I've had a look on GTTR and seen there are a fair few lower primary courses still with places so I haven't given up hope for this year yet .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Figster)
    Oooh congratulations Laura. Hopefully see you in September!!! When did you have your interview? I can't remember anyone's names from when I had mine (18th Jan)...so sorry if we were at the same interview!! I've already got my degree so I think my condition must be to get more experience or something. Unless they've made a mistake and didn't mean to give me an offer at all. AHHH. Lol. Hopefully we'll get our letters from the uni soon and it'll all be cleared up. Thanks for replying
    Thanks! Congratulations to you too! I had mine on the 18th aswell lol in the morning? I was wearing a pink shirt and was number 2!

ReputationRep:
    helloooo,

just curious, what degrees are you all doing at the moment?
    I've been thinking about doing a PGCE for a while now, either a primary one or RS secondary (probably primary...) but am currently studying Philosophy and have been told I'd maybe have to do a 'subject enhancement course' before applying to do a PGCE. Thoughts? How much do you think they value work experience compared to degree subject? I realise both contribute, I'm just hoping showing interest through lots of work experience would maybe override the fact that my degree isn't in the national curriculum...? eeek.

congrats to everyone who has places wherever they are!! xxxxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laura2309)
    Thanks! Congratulations to you too! I had mine on the 18th aswell lol in the morning? I was wearing a pink shirt and was number 2!

Thank you haaha, yup, I was in the morning too. I was number 8 and was wearing a blue jumper. Lol! Where are you doing your degree atm?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gothicsausage)
    helloooo,

I've been thinking about doing a PGCE for a while now, either a primary one or RS secondary (probably primary...) but am currently studying Philosophy and have been told I'd maybe have to do a 'subject enhancement course' before applying to do a PGCE. Thoughts? How much do you think they value work experience compared to degree subject? I realise both contribute, I'm just hoping showing interest through lots of work experience would maybe override the fact that my degree isn't in the national curriculum...? eeek.

Heyy.

I actually graduated in June, I did Psychology so not national curriculum stuff either. So I really don't think your philosophy degree should be a barrier at all. I think they really value work experience a lot...I think that might even be the condition of my offer...to get more work experience...but haven't got the letter yet so not sure!!! I really wouldn't let your degree subject put you off applying for a primary pgce though, if that's what you really want to do. I particularly don't think it'd be a problem if you have one or two national curriculum subjects at a-level?

Good luck!!!

ReputationRep:
    helloooo,

I did Psychology and Sociology. I didn't think I'd stand much of a chance with that degree but have since found out that Psychology seems to be liked by unis and employers as much as something like English, Maths, Science, History, Geography etc. Good luck

ReputationRep:
    helloooo,

helloooo,

Hey, I applied for RS at Cambridge with a degree in PPE (philosophy, politics and economics) with 50% in Philosophy. The required amount of knowledge for a secondary subject is 50% or more of your degree in the chosen subject or one similar to it. Philosophy, being taught so much in RS/RE nowadays, and with the skills needed being so similar, counts. At least, I've been offered a place and have no conditions (as I've already graduated).
    Hope this helps
    as for Primary, I don't think you need any particular subject as long as you have the right GCSE's.
    Emily

ReputationRep:
    PEOPLE WITH OFFERS LOOKING FOR HOUSES-- THERE IS NOW A FACEBOOK GROUP- I think we just join it for now and they will send info about the university accommodation service soon!

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=...010523995&ap=1

ReputationRep:
    I just got an email inviting me for an interview in a couple of weeks for secondary RS!!

Am very excited!!

Anyone else (who is still reading this?!) already on the RS course?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Knowlsy)
    I just got an email inviting me for an interview in a couple of weeks for secondary RS!!

Am very excited!!

Yes, me! Had my interview in December, really didn't expect to get a place though. Good luck with your interview. If you've got any questions about it, don't hesitate to ask me

ReputationRep:

Am very excited!!

Did they give you an actual interview date? I got an email a few weeks ago saying I'm invited to an interview for Early Years but no date is set. They said to expect late February to early March. The wait is terrible!

ReputationRep:
    just found out I got an offer, I'm going to be doing a primary pgce.congrats to everyone with offers, good luck to those with interviews, if those with interviews coming up have any questions feel free to ask.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamesjjd100)
    just found out I got an offer, I'm going to be doing a primary pgce.congrats to everyone with offers, good luck to those with interviews, if those with interviews coming up have any questions feel free to ask.
    If you need to find accommodation there is now a fbk group I could add you too?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by baie)
    If you need to find accommodation there is now a fbk group I could add you too?
    Thanks that would be great, I've seen one group mentioned in this thread which I joined last night, I don't know if its the same one though? I've put Homerton as my first choice so know I wont get accomodation; although I wanted college accomodation I decided I would prefer the support Homerton offers pgce students over getting accomodation in college. Although i guess the house hunt that is going to have to start aint gonna be easy...

ReputationRep:
    Thanks that would be great, I've seen one group mentioned in this thread which I joined last night, I don't know if its the same one though? I've put Homerton as my first choice so know I wont get accommodation; although I wanted college accomodation I decided I would prefer the support Homerton offers pgce students over getting accomodation in college. Although i guess the house hunt that is going to have to start aint gonna be easy...
    yeah that's the same one. I'm in Cambridge all ready so I'm going to start viewing houses asap, and then advertise on that group when have found a house! hmmm. Good luck with it all and if you need any help/ a room let me know!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by baie)
    yeah that's the same one. I'm in Cambridge all ready so I'm going to start viewing houses asap, and then advertise on that group when have found a house! hmmm. Good luck with it all and if you need any help/ a room let me know!

thats really kind thanks very much, cool i'll make sure i keep checking the group

ReputationRep:
    Thanks that would be great, I've seen one group mentioned in this thread which I joined last night, I don't know if its the same one though? I've put Homerton as my first choice so know I wont get accomodation; although I wanted college accomodation I decided I would prefer the support Homerton offers pgce students over getting accomodation in college. Although i guess the house hunt that is going to have to start aint gonna be easy...

Can you add me too please? I also need to find accomodation!

ReputationRep:
    Has anybody seen the newsover the last 6 hours or so??

"The Government will also announce the abolition of the £6,000 bursary for those training to teach English, geography, history, classics, business studies, religious education, design and technology, information and communication technology, art, dance, music, drama and media studies."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education...-training.html (i don't usually read the telegraph, especially these days, but their article had all the subjects listed unlike the guardians...)

From my reading, this suggests that bursaries will be cut for students on courses in 11/12, though it doesn't make it absolutely clear. I think golden hellos are definately gone though...

I assume it wasn't just me who was relying on a bursary to pay for much of my rent and food?? This has really got me in the mood for my interview next week i doubt i'll be able to afford it if i even get a place...

ReputationRep:
    From my reading, this suggests that bursaries will be cut for students on courses in 11/12, though it doesn't make it absolutely clear. I think golden hellos are definately gone though...
    Yes, bursaries are cut for most non-science subjects for 2011/2012 and all golden hellos are gone. The letter from Michael Gove that outlines what bursaries are available can be found on the Department for Education's website. http://www.education.gov.uk/inthenew...ies-for-201112

If I get a place, I was also counting on this . Best of luck at your interview, though! At the very least, hopefully they raise loan eligibility to compensate for this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tem11)
    Did they give you an actual interview date? I got an email a few weeks ago saying I'm invited to an interview for Early Years but no date is set. They said to expect late February to early March. The wait is terrible!
    Yeh I got a date, presumably there are a few RS people ready for an interview, whereas maybe they are still waiting for a few more early years to hold a day interviewing for just that? Have they given you anything to prepare?

(Original post by tem11)

If I get a place, I was also counting on this . Best of luck at your interview, though! At the very least, hopefully they raise loan eligibility to compensate for this.
    Thanks!! I'm hoping we get something to compensate too... Even though I abhor the thinking behind it, I'm less concerned about having more student loan debt, just more concerned that I will be able to pay my rent, buy food and have enough money to maybe socialize a few times in the year!!

I'm so caught up worry about this that I'm not putting the attention into preparing my presentation that I should be doing... hmmm...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.