The Student Room Group

Organ donation-Yay or nay?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
I am for it, and am signed up. I just think, I'm not gonna use my organs so why should I stop them saving some elses life?

No offence meant at all though to anyone who is against it, I understand how some people find the idea weird, and your beliefs would affect it as well.

By the way, your mum has no legal right to override the decision if you're an adult. But I think that if they see it as appropriate they might listen to her... I think it's more if she's causing a huge fuss or getting very upset about it then they might consider this and not use your organs, but in general they will use them. It's all on their website in the FAQs.
I agree with organ donation. Because when I'm dead, I'm not going to need my organs so why not give them to someone who really needs them? I would be glad that id be saving lives after im dead- even though i wont know.
Plus if i was ill and needed an organ- id be grateful if i got one.
I am going to offer my lovely organs when I die; I feel like I should, and I want to.

Original post by NS17
Organ donation should be opt out not opt in, you don't agree with then you're anti-life and morally up yourself. Truth of the matter is you don't need them when you're dead, why deny a life to someone in desperate need of something you don't have any use for any more?
Anyone who disagrees is ****, religion or no religion (in fact, using religion as an excuse not to is even more ridiculous).

Definitely agree with this. Opting out should be the option here. People don't bother to sign up, hence why hospitals are lacking organs for desperate patients (obviously some don't want to sign up, but you get my point).
(edited 13 years ago)
I know there is no logical reason not to but I'm scared to :frown: I might later on, I know it's irrational and I would like to help. I am diabetic so that might rule out some parts of me (kidneys?).
I'm in favour of it - I would have noting to lose and the person who needs it may have everything to gain! Why on earth not?! :smile:
I am not against donating organs, but I could never do it myself to be honest. I really want to be buried untouched by surgeons and be placed next to my untouched loved one as selfish as that seems. :frown: But it's not because I don't want to help people - I am usually quite the opposite - it's just the thought of something missing when I've passed away and I've been placed next to my husband (vice versa).

Maybe someone could convince me eventually to donate my liver or kidney. But I could never donate anything else.
Original post by tinshed
No, but only to a point and only to blood related family

Interesting contradiction in your logic there. Up to which point may I ask?
I'm a donor and I hope that if any of my loved ones ever need an organ/tissue/blood someone will have been genorous enough to help by doing the same and signing up!
:smile:
Original post by NS17
Organ donation should be opt out not opt in, you don't agree with then you're anti-life and morally up yourself. Truth of the matter is you don't need them when you're dead, why deny a life to someone in desperate need of something you don't have any use for any more?
Anyone who disagrees is ****, religion or no religion (in fact, using religion as an excuse not to is even more ridiculous).

An opt out system wouldn't increase donation numbers. Next of kin can still veto the donation in an opt out system, nowhere in the world has a hardline system which takes the wishes of the deceased over the living relative's wishes. Currently, transplant coordinators use the fact that the deceased has registered their wish to donate to try and talk round next of kin who veto, as very few people would go against the dying wishes of a loved one. With an opt out system that diplomacy tool is completely removed, and even worse relatives can assume that their relatives disagreed with donation and just didn't have time to register. So it can actually result in a decrease in donation, especially if a change of system brings out the nay sayers with negative PR (activists for freedom of choice and conspiracy theorists in particular). For an Opt Out system to work the society as a whole needs to be accepting of organ donation, and if they were it would probably mean more registered donors in an opt in system anyway.

People in favour of Opt Out systems often refer to how Spain has much better donation statistics than the UK. The problem is Spain doesn't have a law on passengers wearing seatbelts. No seatbelts + a car crash = Much more likely to have a brain stem death. The type of death that can lead to a donation is actually very specific, so public health and safety issues have a massive impact on donation numbers, much more so than any opt out system would have.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by CoffeeStinks
I became an organ donor around a month ago and seemed pretty indifferent about it. I told my rents and my dad shrugged it off but my mum was like 'Okay, but I can over ride that decision.'

I signed up because if I was unfortunate enough to need an organ I'd like it before I died, so why not be the donor?

Well anyway, I just want to hear your views on organ donation, are you against it, or do you embrace it?

Reasons please.

how old do you have to be to sign up for that?
Original post by IPlayThePiccolo
how old do you have to be to sign up for that?

I thought that it was 18, but word on this thread is any age, but if you're <18 you need a parent's permission.
Reply 110
I have a donor card. Here it means that when I die my organs will be donated. :smile:

I think it is important.
You don't need to get parental input if you're under 18 to sign up, but they can stop your organs being used if you die.
Original post by Svenjamin
It's a common misconception that an opt out system would increase donation numbers. Next of kin can still veto the donation in an opt out system, nowhere in the world has a hardline system which takes the wishes of the deceased over the living relative's wishes. Currently, transplant coordinators use the fact that the deceased has registered their wish to donate to try and talk round next of kin who veto, as very few people would go against the wishes of a loved one.

With an opt out system that diplomacy tool is completely removed, and even worse relatives can assume that their relatives disagreed with donation and just didn't have time to register. So it can actually result in a decrease in donation, especially if a change of system brings out the nay sayers with negative PR (activists for freedom of choice and conspiracy theorists in particular). And judging from this thread, quite a few people are mis-informed when it comes to transplantation. For an Opt Out system to work the society as a whole needs to be accepting of organ donation, and if they were it would probably mean more registered donors in an opt in system anyway. Because of that, I think any change of donation systems is really an issue for a referendum, that way it's the public who vote it in and not the "evil government who want to defy your human rights and steal your organs".

People in favour of Opt Out systems often reference how Spain has much better donation statistics than the UK. The problem is Spain doesn't have a law on wearing seatbelts. No seatbelts + a car crash = Severed brain stem = donation. The type of death that can lead to a donation is actually very specific, so public health and safety issues have a massive impact on donation numbers, much more so than any opt out system would have.

I think this is quite an important argument.
I thought that it was 18, but word on this thread is any age, but if you're <18 you need a parent's permission.

I see... I have no issue with someone else using my organs. I like the idea that it's possible a part of you can make the difference to someone's life or death
I have told my family that I want to donate- but for some reason I cannot bring myself to actually sign the form! It feels like I'm almost tempting fate, even though I know that's absolute rubbish!
Reply 115
I'm a registered organ donor, and a blood donor. Haven't managed to get round to signing up for bone marrow yet, i'll have to give that one some thought. But I'm happy for them to take any of my organs once I'm dead, as I know how desperate I'd be for one of my family to get an organ if they needed one. =)
Reply 116
Yeah I'd donate my organs, but right now I just don't want to think about death and that's stopped me from signing up. But my family know that's what I'd want so mer
signed up literally last night :P

why wouldn't you? if it could help someone else, i personally don't see the problem with it
Personally I am a strong believer in fate, as I believe if your body is shutting down then your time is up...so no I will not donate my organs.
I know I should donate as my auntie’s life was saved by organ donation, so maybe I could be convinced to donate if I knew exactly who would receive my organs if they were ‘good’ people or worthwhile causes but as this is not possible at the moment I will not donate.
I also agree that I do not want any surgeons messing with my body as I would rather go from this earth exactly as I came in with all my organs intact! I'm also genuinely afraid of surgery I know I’ll be dead but still the thought of it terrifies me! :s-smilie:
Oh, perhaps giving them a call?

I'm not too sure what else to do, sorry. :frown:

I never got a donor card either :smile: I just assumed that as I signed up when applying for my driving licence and when I signed up to Uni doctor that'll it'll have got into system somehow =D

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending