Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Welsh students who go to welsh universities wont have fees increased Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Curzon)
    I do agree on the paying less fees outside of Wales. which does seem unfair. But anyway, see above on the funding matters..

And the fact that we are "so reliant on the UK", no thanks to the UK for that. We've been raped of our wealth for centuries here in Wales, and at the end of it what do they do? Destroy all our industry to say thanks.
    Dont worry, We did it to around 1/3 of the world too :p:p (again, jokes)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Curzon)
    I do agree on the paying less fees outside of Wales. which does seem unfair. But anyway, see above on the funding matters..

And the fact that we are "so reliant on the UK", no thanks to the UK for that. We've been raped of our wealth for centuries here in Wales, and at the end of it what do they do? Destroy all our industry to say thanks.
    Industry is unfortunately no longer the way forward. It's sad the way it went, I live in the North East and Thatcher raped us good and proper as well. She had a point in that the mines were unsustainable but the way she did it means a lot of people will never forgive her, or the Tories.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lonelykatana)
    It wasn't really intended as an attack... Was a nobhead of a thing to say though, sorry...

Im not against devolution, I think its great to get you welsh of our back complaining (thats a joke ) And I have no problems paying taxes to the rest of the UK countries!

But I find it highly unfair that English, Scottish and Irish taxpayers should have to pay for something which is both unnecessary and unfair (not to mention it will probably do Welsh universities more harm than good! I live near Bangor, and that uni is in an insane amount of debt!), and then not receive any benefit at all from it! Reverse rolls, and Im sure you'd agree!

Now if it was a matter of Welsh students paying less in Welsh uni's, then fine, so be it.
    But I dont understand why they should not have to pay English fees, in English uni's. Especially when English students have no rights to the Welsh fees.

There is a massive difference between paying to health, public services, basic education ect and this situation!
    Well I don't see how it's any different... education is devolved, so if the Assembly decides it doesn't want a rise in fees then there won't be a rise in fees. We will see in the future what the effects of this decision will be. Like I said earlier though, I don't think it's fair that Welsh students will still pay less even when going to English unis. That seems a bit stupid...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ilickbatteries)
    I don't have to pay higher fees, I'm applying for 2011 entry, unless they're gonna hit us for our second and third years.

Yes, we are all British, and as such we should be in this together. English, Scottish, N.Irish or Welsh, we're all British.

You voted conservative, we voted Labour - therefore, you're the ones who went off on your own path down the road of conservative reign. We stuck with the status quo.

This is going to cause problems. There may be some animosity towards Welsh students who paying a third of what English students pay for the exact same degree. In effect, English students are going to be almost like international students in their own country.

Bring it on. I'm really not bothered. Its all political and if English students are so immature that they have to resort to personal slurs or animosity over the issue then they need to grow up. We are in a labour controlled country, you voted conservative. Thats not our problem.

Secondly, where is this money coming from? The Welsh teaching budget - that's going to cause problems for Welsh universities. Cardiff will survive due to being in the Russell Group, but other institutions such as Swansea, Swansea Met, Aberystwyth, Bangor etc will suffer, just so Welsh kids can pay less at English institutions. Madness!

Not a chance. The cut in the teaching budget is not harsh enough to cause problems. Do you know anything?

English students at an English university should pay either less, or the exact same as anyone else from the UK. It's appalling to think that English students will pay the most out of everyone.
    Its quite funny. I can go to Cambridge for 3 years for a debt of about £10,000 when an English student may get a debt of £10,000 for one year of study. Its not our politicians fault that Clegg & Cameron are being over cautious about cuts. Its easy enough to save money in other areas to fund such things. Ask Scotland

Everyone knows they are not going to charge those entering in 2011 for the following years.

Therefore I cannot take anything else you say seriously, so for that reason

I'm out !

ReputationRep:
    Yes, but they can only charge the higher fees to English students. How many English students would be willing to pay 6k+ to study in Wales? Bangor and Cardiff are probably the only universities worth paying that much at.
    LMAO you are funny.

Cardiff
    Aberystwyth
    Swansea

3 best universities in Wales. They would easily get English students paying more.

Aber could easily undercut their equivalent academic universities in England.

Aber is better than Oxford Brookes - So therefore, If Brookes charges £8000, Aber could charge £8000 and increase funding.

People would rather go Aberystwyth than Brookes - just look at the league tables.

ReputationRep:
    I heard it was the same for scottish students.

Yay England (!) :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Probably because most of your money comes from the UK government anyways.

Welsh independence will never be feasible because you're so reliant on the UK as a whole. I'm all for the Welsh assembly having the say on matters that affect Welsh students in Wales, but not when Welsh students will be paying less than English students at an English university.

I don't see how that's fair at all.
    A UK Government that is the governing body of Wales, England, Scotland and NI.

Basically, ever year we get undercut in the budget anyway as we have done this year.

The vast majority goes to England. Its about time Wales had something.

Also, anyone who thinks England would survive on its own is living in dreamland - If they could they would have separated years ago when their was issues between Wales & England. They never because all over the UK relies on each other for many reasons. Not one of them would separate from the UK totally, the main reason Scotland hasn't gone totally independent

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cicerao)
    I wasn't complaining about "you."
    I wasn't meaning you as in me I was meaning you in the general sense.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jb9191)
    LMAO you are funny.

Cardiff
    Aberystwyth
    Swansea

3 best universities in Wales. They would easily get English students paying more.

Aber could easily undercut their equivalent academic universities in England.

Aber is better than Oxford Brookes - So therefore, If Brookes charges £8000, Aber could charge £8000 and increase funding.

People would rather go Aberystwyth than Brookes - just look at the league tables.
    Cardiff is an ok university. Most English students would choose an English university though, as on the whole, English universities are far, far better than their Welsh equivalents.

ReputationRep:
    A UK Government that is the governing body of Wales, England, Scotland and NI.

Basically, ever year we get undercut in the budget anyway as we have done this year.

The vast majority goes to England. Its about time Wales had something.

Also, anyone who thinks England would survive on its own is living in dreamland - If they could they would have separated years ago when their was issues between Wales & England. They never because all over the UK relies on each other for many reasons. Not one of them would separate from the UK totally, the main reason Scotland hasn't gone totally independent
    England gets more money because England has more people. However, on a per person basis Wales gets more, so what more do you want? You have more money per person than England.

Without the money from the UK, Wales would not survive. Scotland probably would, I imagine Northern Ireland wouldn't unless it reunified with Eire.

England is the dominant country in the United Kingdom. We have the head of state, the UK parliament, the highest population, the best schools, the best universities. We could, if we liked, go totally separate. However, after conquering Wales in the 16th century, we have to look after you because you wouldn't survive on your own.

ReputationRep:
    Cardiff is an ok university. Most English students would choose an English university though, as on the whole, English universities are far, far better than their Welsh equivalents.
    It really depends.

Aberystwyth is 13th for Computer Science and highly regarded by employers.

I would say that some English universities are far superior because they are

Cambridge
    UCL
    Oxford

Probably top 20-30 are better , then the Welsh Universities come into play and in certain subjects the Welsh universities are far better. I wouldn't write off a Welsh university purely on its location, you'd be pretty naive and stupid to do so. The same as I wouldn't write off an English University. The key is to find out the most detail about those particular universities and then apply.

4/5ths of Aber's comp science graduates get a job within 6 months. Putting it high in the league tables. Only a few other English universities top that and seriously, how many people get into them universities for that particular course, not that many compared to their number of applicants.

Once those top are taken then English students will look at Aberystwyth in order to get their next best degree so therefore Welsh universities will still get a high number of English students.

Would you pay £8000 to go to Aber to do computer science (13th) or £8000 for an English University below it?

Cardiff is very good for law. Glamorgan is one of the top for Computer Forensics and have various links with MI5 etc.

Personally, I decided on what university was good in a particular subject as well as the overall league tables.

Dont just assume English universities are better because they are not, a lot of them are shockingly poor.

You should look at the subject league tables, employability percentage before you consider a course and university. Do not just look at the overall table because that university could have got its overall position based on Art, and be absolutely terrible in teaching the subject you want to do.

ReputationRep:
    England gets more money because England has more people. However, on a per person basis Wales gets more, so what more do you want? You have more money per person than England.

Without the money from the UK, Wales would not survive. Scotland probably would, I imagine Northern Ireland wouldn't unless it reunified with Eire.

England is the dominant country in the United Kingdom. We have the head of state, the UK parliament, the highest population, the best schools, the best universities. We could, if we liked, go totally separate. However, after conquering Wales in the 16th century, we have to look after you because you wouldn't survive on your own.
    None of them would survive.

Its been proven that any UK nation would crumble as an independent as they all depend on each other to maintain their standards, even England. Panorama basically put the case to bed a few years ago.

If you think England could go separate then you are extremely naive.

Even if they did go "separate" they would totally need to be structured the same way as now to survive economically, so they would still be classed as dependant states.

ReputationRep:
    English people are only moaning out of jealousy and regret. In the general election England voted mainly for Conservatives, Wales voted mainly Labour. We have our own devolved assembly where the governing party is a Lab/Plaid coalition and they're only doing what's best for their people. It's your own fault for voting Conservative, ever since the Thatcher years Conservative votes in Wales have decreased and there is a lot of Tory hatred here so it's not fair at all if Wales and Scotland are bombarded with Tory policies when hardly any of us voted for them! Rant over.

ReputationRep:
    It really depends.

Aberystwyth is 13th for Computer Science and highly regarded by employers.

I would say that some English universities are far superior because they are

Cambridge
    UCL
    Oxford

Probably top 20-30 are better , then the Welsh Universities come into play and in certain subjects the Welsh universities are far better. I wouldn't write off a Welsh university purely on its location, you'd be pretty naive and stupid to do so. The same as I wouldn't write off an English University. The key is to find out the most detail about those particular universities and then apply.

4/5ths of Aber's comp science graduates get a job within 6 months. Putting it high in the league tables. Only a few other English universities top that and seriously, how many people get into them universities for that particular course, not that many compared to their number of applicants.

Once those top are taken then English students will look at Aberystwyth in order to get their next best degree so therefore Welsh universities will still get a high number of English students.

Would you pay £8000 to go to Aber to do computer science (13th) or £8000 for an English University below it?

Cardiff is very good for law. Glamorgan is one of the top for Computer Forensics and have various links with MI5 etc.

Personally, I decided on what university was good in a particular subject as well as the overall league tables.

Dont just assume English universities are better because they are not, a lot of them are shockingly poor.

You should look at the subject league tables, employability percentage before you consider a course and university. Do not just look at the overall table because that university could have got its overall position based on Art, and be absolutely terrible in teaching the subject you want to do.

Cardiff is top for one subject, and one subject only. Cardiff appears 13 times in the top ten. Aberystwyth is top for nothing, appears 5 times in the top 10.

Cardiff is ranked 42nd and Aberystwyth is ranked 48th. Computer science, the subject you champion here, Aberystwyth doesn't even make the top 40 in subject tables.

Cardiff for law, according to you is good also, but a look at the table suggests that it isn't that great as it comes 34th. Glamorgan comes 86th in the full table, and it's computer course has a graduate employment rate of 50%

Based on those facts, I would not want to attend a Welsh university. On the whole, English universities are much better.

ReputationRep:
    Cardiff is top for one subject, and one subject only. Cardiff appears 13 times in the top ten. Aberystwyth is top for nothing, appears 5 times in the top 10.

Cardiff is ranked 42nd and Aberystwyth is ranked 48th. Computer science, the subject you champion here, Aberystwyth doesn't even make the top 40 in subject tables.

Cardiff for law, according to you is good also, but a look at the table suggests that it isn't that great as it comes 34th. Glamorgan comes 86th in the full table, and it's computer course has a graduate employment rate of 50%

Based on those facts, I would not want to attend a Welsh university. On the whole, English universities are much better.
    Out of interest what is Cardiff top in?

ReputationRep:

I bet you can find many many English unis that have worse figures than most welsh ones.

ReputationRep:

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s...terscience.jpg

Speak to any lecturer or UCAS representative and they will tell you to rank on graduate employability percentage rather than the ratings of a newspaper.

You are dumb if you base it purely on the ratings of a newspaper rather than statistical evidence like employability percentages.

Whats more important? A university that has been rated highly by a newspaper or one that has higher job prospects?

I know which one I'd go too straight away. The latter, as employers obviously deem it to be a better place for that chosen subject.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WelshBluebird)
    I bet you can find many many English unis that have worse figures than most welsh ones.
    Probably, but I bet I can find many English universities with better figures than Welsh ones.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lewis :D)
    Out of interest what is Cardiff top in?
    Celtic studies

ReputationRep:
    You are dumb if you base it purely on the ratings of a newspaper rather than statistical evidence like employability percentages.

Whats more important? A university that has been rated highly by a newspaper or one that has higher job prospects?

I know which one I'd go too straight away. The latter, as employers obviously deem it to be a better place for that chosen subject.
    You just said in your last post you looked at subject tables

But, since you seem to care so much about graduate prospects...

Sorted by graduate prospects, Cardiff is 28th, Aberystwyth is 71st, Glamorgan is 104th.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.