3.39%
    Italy Title
    1.69%
    Italy Grand Slam
    4.24%

ReputationRep:
    heartbroken.

ReputationRep:
    Really good game overall, thought Ireland definitely deserved to win - more through their mistakes and not France's ingenuity that France won.

France were pretty poor defending around the fringes - though Dusautoir was very good again. Thought Harinordoquy was pretty anonymous by his (very high) standards. Hopefully England can expose this with Ashton et al. in two weeks time.

ReputationRep:
    Great result for England though.

ReputationRep:
    Agreed kingkev, only provided we capitalise on it when we play France though - which I think we will.

ReputationRep:
    If we beat France then we have a really good chance at winning the six nations maybe even doing the grand slam. Beating Ireland at Lansdowne will be tough though. It's the last game so if the slam's on then we could do it.

ReputationRep:
    NO.

Ireland deserved to win that. They were quick, snappy and for the most part quite smooth. There was a lot of desire on the Irish side.

France played bad, boring rugby and had no heart.

Really unhappy. Unlucky Ireland, but you deserved to win it.

ReputationRep:
    Yes if we beat France we have a great chance, and I can't see us losing to Scotland with the way they are playing - they were woeful against the Welsh.

That would make it 4/4 and barring an absolute disaster against Ireland we should win the championship.

Grand slam? Not too sure at the moment. Let's get the next match out of the way first.

ReputationRep:
    Absolutely gutted. Ireland made far too many mistakes. We should have had that line-out and we should've had that try right at the end. Too many mistakes. Was not happy. We should've had more tries and should've had O'Gara on earlier. I'm not happy. Ugh, well played France though, they capitalised where we ****ed up. On top of that, we eased up after getting the first try. Felt too comfortable.

Also, how the hell were France getting away with wasting that much ****ing time at the end of the game? I'm sorry, but that was getting beyond a joke.

I think England stand a very good chance of winning this year. They were playing well yesterday, played well against Wales and France just aren't really showing up at the moment.

ReputationRep:
    Excuse me while I go cry in a corner.

Absolutely gutted - a common feeling after the Ire vs. Fra games.

I don't even know what to say. Consistently giving away penalties left the French in the game, and D'Arcy (who I don't think played that well at all) slips off a 1v1 tackle.

And Cronin catch the gaying ball :fuhrer:

I actually want to cry.

Incidentally, I think I was right last week when I said the French defense was pants, so expect England to rip them apart.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pinkpenguin)
    Excuse me while I go cry in a corner.

Absolutely gutted - a common feeling after the Ire vs. Fra games.

I don't even know what to say. Consistently giving away penalties left the French in the game, and D'Arcy (who I don't think played that well at all) slips off a 1v1 tackle.

And Cronin catch the gaying ball :fuhrer:

I actually want to cry.

Incidentally, I think I was right last week when I said the French defense was pants, so expect England to rip them apart.
    Tell Kidney to dump O'Leary and bring back Stringer. We need fast ball and O'Leary is consistently unable to provide that.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think I've ever seen a team outplay their opponents by so much and lose. Apparently the French never had possession in the Irish 22 in the first half, yet still managed to keep the gap at 15-12. Shows how much penalties rule the game, especially whether their conceeded in kicking distance or not.

I remember a few years ago Yachvili said that Biarritz should have won a Heineken Cup match against Munster because they outscored them 2 tries to 1, despite losing on actual points. Seems a little ironic now.

ReputationRep:
    I have feeling France or England will win the title. The triple crown will probably go to the loser of that game, or I think Ireland have a good chance at it - it'd be between Wales and Ireland in a decider if the loser between England and France didn't get it.
    Calcutta cup? I'd like to think Scotland would be spurred on from defeat to want to win something, but they're playing at Twickenham. If they want to win and stay clear from getting the wooden spoon then I think they really need to up their game. I think Scotland could beat Ireland but again really need to make a huge effort.
    As for Italy I don't think they have much of a chance. Should Scotland cop out and not improve, then the likelyhood is it'll be a decider between Italy and Scotland for the wooden spoon.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure Ireland deserved to win. They played very well in patches - they seemed to raise their game every 10 minutes or so and find a bit of impetus to expose the periodically poor French defence (talk about a half-arsed effort, I fully expect England to go through them like a knife in a fortnight), but for half of the game they seemed strangely lethargic and sloppy - too many penalties, too many unforced errors.

Other than that, England were excellent, although it must be said that Italy basically gave up after 20 minutes. The other game was more a case of a very disappointing Scotland rather than Wales really being that great. A shame because I really expected that to be a good close game.

In terms of quality, I think England -> France ->Ireland -> Wales -> Scotland ->Italy. Seems very familar, doesn't it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by py0alb)
    In terms of quality, I think England -> France ->Ireland -> Wales -> Scotland ->Italy. Seems very familar, doesn't it?
    Not really? England haven't been the best team since 2003. But everyone else is just not rising to it at all atm.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gob Bluth)
    Not really? England haven't been the best team since 2003. But everyone else is just not rising to it at all atm.
    I think you'll find thats pretty much the order of overall winning percentages in the 6/5/home nations tournament...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jarlsberg)
    I have feeling France or England will win the title. The triple crown will probably go to the loser of that game, or I think Ireland have a good chance at it - it'd be between Wales and Ireland in a decider if the loser between England and France didn't get it.
    Why would France ever get the Triple Crown? :confused: Last time I checked it was between Scotland, Ireland, England and Wales.

ReputationRep:
    Sometimes, I am ashamed to be Scottish. Saturday was one such example.

ReputationRep:
    I can't believe that I forgot this thread would be here, I'm ashamed of myself!

Very excited for 26th. I wish the rest weekend were over already.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Formerly LieDown)
    I can't believe that I forgot this thread would be here, I'm ashamed of myself!

Very excited for 26th. I wish the rest weekend were over already.
    I've only just found it too! :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ForensicShoe)
    I've only just found it too! :rolleyes:
    I know, I could have saved my many non-rugby-watching friends the pain of talking to them about the Six Nations if I had just realise this was here! :rolleyes:

I see Martin Johnson has released a few key players to their clubs: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugb...sh/9400006.stm

That must have been a bit of a worrying decision to make.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.