The Student Room Group

Anyone else fed up with the protests??

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Unfortunately, they'll just have to deal with it. Unless they do something stronger than walking around and causing trouble.
The governments not going to change their minds, and Nick Cleggs already betrayed us, now he's agreeing with the fee rises.
I suggest kidnapping one of the voters, holding him ransom.
Reply 101
I went to the big one in London but that was more for kicks than genuine fear about fees. Yes, it's horrible and I can't support the idea that this might stop people from my sort of background going to University... but it has to be funded somehow. I do think that the onus should be on the student to either buck up or pack up. What's better? Having fewer students going to University and getting a 1st or 2'1 or having more students going to University, some of them getting 3rds or just using Uni as a place to chill for a few years.

Education should be a right, but there's no use for it unless you're really going to benefit from it.
Oh yes, I have to turn the news over I am so fed up of students thinking that by damaging public property and attacking police officers they are going to win public support.

Yes a 3x hike in tution fees is harsh, but then life is not always easy, I have been to uni (yes thats right) have a moan that I got it cheap, but I still have debts from that period in my life that I have to pay back.

Not everything in life is given to you on a plate, wait till you grow up and join the real world. You will either get a job that puts you in a position to be earning enough to pay back your loans or you won't and therefore won't have to.

I have a daughter who hopefully one day will go to university, but I am not going to go out and cause riots thinking that will help reduce costs. We have rights to protest but this is just an excuse to cause trouble.
Pay for your education............and my job seekers...............and my child benefit...............and my NHS treatment.............and my housing benefit.............and my kids' EMA.............................but pay for your own DAMN education! :rolleyes:

Those in glass houses shouldn't throw stones :colonhash: Unless you argue for us to turn into a tax haven and have everything privatised, I think a few people should pipe down with the "work hard for your education rather than have it handed on a plate" crap. We do actually have to WORK in uni to gain the qualification. We don't just turn up and do jack yanno.

I still think the number of uni places and courses need to be cut drastically rather than lumber graduates with a "morgage" as another TSRian accurately put it
The only time students protesting was ever pointful was when they were aiding communists and nazis to power. Being endlessly stoned in the 60s seems to have diminished their power of persuasion.
Been there, worked hard for my education, having to pay for it, life goes on
Original post by hodgepodge0070
Been there, worked hard for my education, having to pay for it, life goes on

Couldn't have said it better.
Reply 107
Why should students be immune to the cuts everyone is facing? Selfish and a touch silly.
just like to thank you for the research you done, working out the prices, would have been good if you had also worked out what the protests were about, its not just the raise of uni fees but the fact that most of us students that can vote voted for lib dem because nick clegg said that he would work for the students and drop fees and now that he is in power and getting corrupted by david cameron he is going against what he said and the main reson he is part of the coelition by raising the fees.

if we dont have the money to go to university and get a degree, how are we supposed to get a job to pay for university? they again are taxing the people who dont have the money and leaving the ones with the money to sit back and laugh because they are still getting it easy.

There has only been a few protests and only 2 that i have heard of that went violent, if you had 2 chips in a portion of chips would you say you were fed up? the mp's are just getting what they are making us pay for.

For all the people who have been to uni and saying "been there done that" you probally done very well for yourself and in a small ammount of debt, not think of having three times that ammount and living expenses going up aswell, now say that you would still be where you are today if thats the debt you were in!
Reply 109
but if they stopped protesting they would have to actually get on with their work! or go back to procrastinating with facebook.
Not doing that well thanks, but getting by, still can't afford a mortgage.

You may have voted Lib Dem and if they had a majority and were in overall power things may have been different but as they are not it will not be as easy for them to meet their promises.

I am pretty sure that my life would have been no different to date regardless of my uni fees.

Anyway I'm off now, said my bit, now I have better things to do with my life.

All have a nice day now, enjoy christmas if you can with all the worries you have to cope with :smile:
Original post by Threepigs
What if a student with great potential comes from a family which rely solely on government handouts? + aren't there maintenance fees on top of that sum?

:smile:No, poor students get a much higher maintenance grant under the new scheme and this does not have to be paid back, also they get upto two years free tuition. The new system is much fairer to poor students than the current system.
Original post by Dude Where's My Username
Pay for your education............and my job seekers...............and my child benefit...............and my NHS treatment.............and my housing benefit.............and my kids' EMA.............................but pay for your own DAMN education! :rolleyes:

Those in glass houses shouldn't throw stones :colonhash: Unless you argue for us to turn into a tax haven and have everything privatised, I think a few people should pipe down with the "work hard for your education rather than have it handed on a plate" crap. We do actually have to WORK in uni to gain the qualification. We don't just turn up and do jack yanno.

I still think the number of uni places and courses need to be cut drastically rather than lumber graduates with a "morgage" as another TSRian accurately put it

:smile:Yeah, cut places so less people get the opportunity to get a graduate job and earn £100k more than non graduates- elitism works so much better, and by the way mortgages have to be paid back, uni debt only gets paid back if and when you earn over £21k, doesn't sound like a mortgage to me.
Reply 113
Original post by Laura-alice26
A degree is worth more than £27,000 anyway!!

But is it?

If they push the limits my degree (masters + placment) would have been about £40k in fee's alone. Even if i could have afforded that i wouldnt have been able to justify it.

Daniel
its simple buy less beer

for every broken window they should put the fee up by another £1000

people dont go to uni these days to get an education they go to get a better job
so if its an investment in their future then why not pay for it

Why should I pay through my taxes Ive paid since I was 16 for students to drink beer and have parties

If you really cant afford it then get a job and do the OU as I have done
(edited 13 years ago)
How can it be fair to randomly punish one age group with interest-accruing (and thus socially regressive surely?) debt?

Especially as the coming generation is already going to be crippled by the whole aging population thing and house-buying related debt more than people have ever been crippled before.

It just seems that the older generations have had a free ride compared to what young people are now going to have to go through, particularly unfair because much of their suffering is going to be because of an aging population.

I think the move is particularly unfair for those who are going to be working in the public sector (and to an extent various professionals from outside the public sector) because everyone benefits from their qualifications. If there was more subsidy/grant for these kind of students my outrage would be lessened, but what about people who maybe go on to teaching or a civil service position based on the experience and qualification they've earnt in their degree? I can't see how you could arrange a special grant for them.

The graduate tax idea is better imo, but it would have to be accompanied by other university reforms because in and of itself it has pitfalls.

It's easy for senior politicians not to care, but then again their children won't really be affected by this will they? They won't have to face student debt, because daddy's taxpayer-funded salary will see them through clean as a whistle.
Reply 116
Original post by Laura-alice26
...an education isnt a right!...

Why isn't it? Who decides what a 'right' is anyway? Do you decide? Do rich people who already have everything decide?

The institutions of society should benefit everyone not just the wealthy, and that includes education. In capitalist society it is primarily through education that young people get their passport to a half-decent job (though even that notion is losing power). You can hardly blame people for getting angry about government policies which are designed to seriously inhibit the less well-off from bothing with education because of the increased financial burdens it will bring.
Reply 117
Original post by WelshBluebird
What rich people do not understand is the poorer people have a fear of debt. Rightly or wrongly, they will not want to take on £50,000 worth a debt.

Well from what I have heard, it was initially the police who were violent. Kettling people in BEFORE they started to be violent. I suppose it depends who you listen to. But had the police actually used their brains, and not tried to kettle people right at the start of the protest, then it would have been a lot easier to police.
But thats asking too much of them. (also note that most of the police had their ID numbers removed so they couldn't be identified - which is illegal).

Debtophobia?:cool:
Why do people even validate these topics anymore? They are made on a daily basis and nothing new is ever said.
The funnier bits are the middle class 'educated' DM readers who couldn't argue a good point if it slapped them in the face. They all follow the DM slanting like sheep and parrot the same 'students have no morals and none of them deserve an education because of this the low life rats as if i'm paying taxes for their education' despite the fact half of them probably got into uni for free in the first place.

Guess I deserve it for reading the daily mail though.

Quick Reply

Latest