Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should the government provide EVERYONE with a winter survival kit? Watch

ReputationRep:
    :facepalm2: OP

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CountMancula)
    With the recent hit of bad weather, is it about time that the people of Britain receive a winter pack for the next few months? This would be paid by the taxpayer (only an extra pound) and only eligible to only those who work. The winter pack would contain the following in a large rucksack (colours can be picked):

- Thermal gloves
    - Facemask
    - Long johns/leotard
    - Woolly hat
    - Scarf
    - Torch
    - Blowtorch
    - Ice scraper
    - Flask
    - Rain Mac
    - Thermal coat
    - Thermal vest
    - Thermal socks
    - Boots
    - Goggles

It would also come with a shovel and 250kg of grit for those with a driveway. For an extra amount of money, you can apply for your own grit bin outside the house.

Discuss.
    lol thats a stupid idea. Obviously it will not all cost £1, it will cost the same amount it would cost me to buy it plus the sizeable cost of the government collecting my money, buying the supplies, and sending them to my house. And why would I want 250kg of grit

Especially stupid is that you only propose this for working people who could afford to buy any stuff they needed anyway - I could see some point in providing extremely poor people/ elderly with warm supplies (although not along the lines which you are proposing).

ReputationRep:
    can i have huskies and a sledge please? will i have to pay extra to feed the huskies though hmmm i can give £1.50?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joeyg)
    lol thats a stupid idea. Obviously it will not all cost £1, it will cost the same amount it would cost me to buy it plus the sizeable cost of the government collecting my money, buying the supplies, and sending them to my house. And why would I want 250kg of grit

Especially stupid is that you only propose this for working people who could afford to buy any stuff they needed anyway - I could see some point in providing extremely poor people/ elderly with warm supplies (although not along the lines which you are proposing).
    CONTRACT. It's not £1 only. The payment will be for a number of months/year. THis has been discussed and will probably cost more than £1 anyway.

(Original post by Hakue)
    can i have huskies and a sledge please? will i have to pay extra to feed the huskies though hmmm i can give £1.50?
    No.

ReputationRep:
    CONTRACT. It's not £1 only. The payment will be for a number of months/year. THis has been discussed and will probably cost more than £1 anyway.

No.
    lol is that what you call a convincing rebuttal of my points?

ReputationRep:
    With the recent hit of bad weather, is it about time that the people of Britain receive a winter pack for the next few months? This would be paid by the taxpayer (only an extra pound) and only eligible to only those who work. The winter pack would contain the following in a large rucksack (colours can be picked):
    Hold on, let me get this straight. People who work, i.e. taxpayers, would pay for a winter survival pack for another taxpayer who might not even want it, resulting either in higher taxes or the diversion of resources from essential services.

Why can't people go out and buy it themselves?

ReputationRep:

- Thermal gloves
    - Facemask
    - Long johns/leotard
    - Woolly hat
    - Scarf
    - Torch
    - Blowtorch
    - Ice scraper
    - Flask
    - Rain Mac
    - Thermal coat
    - Thermal vest
    - Thermal socks
    - Boots
    - Goggles

It would also come with a shovel and 250kg of grit for those with a driveway. For an extra amount of money, you can apply for your own grit bin outside the house.

Discuss.
    If I want a winter survival kit then I will go and buy one. Why should the government provide for me things which I can provide for myself?

ReputationRep:

- Thermal gloves
    - Facemask
    - Long johns/leotard
    - Woolly hat
    - Scarf
    - Torch
    - Blowtorch
    - Ice scraper
    - Flask
    - Rain Mac
    - Thermal coat
    - Thermal vest
    - Thermal socks
    - Boots
    - Goggles

Discuss.

:facepalm:

We already have adequate protection from the elements experienced in this country, and they are known as buildings.

ReputationRep:
    Stop crying, ****.
    y u homo doe?

ReputationRep:
    No, just no.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Great Lord Xenu)
    :lolwut:
    Yeeeah ):

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.