Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I dont know anyone who donates blood me included but why should we really?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jackthevillain)
    You don’t need a special reason to give blood.

1. You just need your own reason.
    2. Some of us give blood because we were asked by a friend.
    3. Some know that a family member or a friend might need blood some day.
    4. Some believe it is the right thing we do.
    5. Whatever your reason, the need is constant and your contribution is important for a healthy and reliable blood supply. And you’ll feel good knowing you've helped change a life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jackthevillain)
    Is 'because there are lots of people who would die without transfusions' not a good enough reason for you then? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Like I said before. If they were really that desperate for blood they would have more sessions and perhaps the staff should be more civil.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DrunkenMaster)
    Like I said before. If they were really that desperate for blood they would have more sessions and perhaps the staff should be more civil.
    If they are not, complain to the higher authorities.

ReputationRep:
    I haven't yet, but I plan to soon.

(Original post by Jenny_Jazz)
    I would but I can't.
    Why?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thunder_chunky)
    Why?
    Because of my job/lifestyle.

ReputationRep:
    I cant give blood because i'm gay, and therefore have HIV in the eyes of the blood service

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KJ21)
    I cant give blood because i'm gay, and therefore have HIV in the eyes of the blood service

Its not about homophobia, its about managing risk, to seriously ill recipients.

At the moment, unfortunately, gay men are still far more likely than other groups to be HIV positive. In the near future this will change as new infections in straight people are on the rise, and the policy will have to be reviewed. This will probably result in great cost to the NHS for more extensive screening/testing.

You could equally say that all people from Africa have malaria in the eyes of the blood service, or all people from North America have West Nile Virus, all sex workers have Hep C, all tattoo enthusiasts have tetanus and all previous transfusion recipients are incubating vCJD etc etc.

Do you think the NHS should take risks with cancer patients and accident victims just to save your feelings?

EDIT: This was brought up earlier in the thread, see my post 55.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Larrabee)

Do you think the NHS should take risks with cancer patients and accident victims just to save your feelings?
    No, but haven;t they got to test the blood before its used, they test the Blood for HIV don't they??

ReputationRep:
    I can't, I'm diabetic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KJ21)
    No, but haven;t they got to test the blood before its used, they test the Blood for HIV don't they??
    They do, but HIV can be undetectable for months after infection.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Muffinz)
    I can't, I'm diabetic.
    No worries.
    When were you diagonised?

ReputationRep:
    I fainted after the first time, that was interesting. Didn't stop me, have my fourth donation some time soon. Working on convincing some of my friends to donate aswel.

ReputationRep:
    They do, but HIV can be undetectable for months after infection.
    Yes normally 3 months, however how is it more likely that I have HIV rather than someone who is "heterosexual" if they cant fully test that every blood that gets taken does not have HIV

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KJ21)
    Yes normally 3 months, however how is it more likely that I have HIV rather than someone who is "heterosexual" if they cant fully test that every blood that gets taken does not have HIV
    they do check everyones.

ReputationRep:
    Is 'because there are lots of people who would die without transfusions' not a good enough reason for you then? :rolleyes:
    Depends who these people are.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ragaa)
    No worries.
    When were you diagonised?
    Three years ago (when I was 15).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ragaa)
    so How did your blood tests sessions go?
    They didn't do it!!

I have to wait until the 17th now. I just wish they'd get it over with!
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    just donated today =D

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.