Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Who else is glad that england dont get to host the world cup 2018 and 2022 Watch

ReputationRep:
    I am half Scottish half English and lived back and forth between the countries over the years, and can see why most Scottish people see the English bid as arrogant, heck even my English mum thinks so

For the last few years I was fed up with seeing media coverage on asking people to show support, I was shocked before when a Blue Peter prize was travelling with the England bid makers to an event, i mean talk about alienating everyone outside of England!

It seems the replies to the Scottish posters is "oh you are just bitter typical Scottish people" even if they may actually have valid points or reasoning they HAVE to be bitter just because they are Scottish!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brokenangel)
    Really sucks when it goes to country like Russia & Qatar who are going to have the same problems India faced with the commonwealth games. If we had lost to the likes of USA, Australia, China Dubai etc i could understand it but Russia come onnnnnn!!!!
    I dont think so. Russia and Qatar are both fairly rich countries (not as rich as uk or spain obv) so I dont think it will be a problem. Look at south africa, that went okay didnt it. It will be nice to have it somewhere different I think, it will make the world cup more exciting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by No Man)
    Well they have hosted 2 world cups already. :P

I think it would have better if Australia got it though...
    They won't be feeling quite as bad then :grin:.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ipulledhermione)
    I'll pos you later, by which time my neg power will be humungus and you will have lots of neg numbers. Promise
    Just seen your profile. ****, you get a lot of abuse :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    Glad we grabbed the Olympics for 2012; it's interesting to a large variety of people due to different events and sports in it.

The World Cup on the other hand is focused on ONE sport which only appeals to drunken chavs (compare the amount of fighting at football stadiums to Rugby, Tennis etc. etc.), if we did host the World Cup event all you'd see on tv is British skinheads fighting with every opposing supporter England would play against.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brokenangel)
    Really sucks when it goes to country like Russia & Qatar who are going to have the same problems India faced with the commonwealth games. If we had lost to the likes of USA, Australia, China Dubai etc i could understand it but Russia come onnnnnn!!!!
    Why will they have the same problems?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amuroray)
    Its a disgrace tbh.

Whoever gets the world cup should be decided on only which bid is the best.

Englands bid was BY FAR the best and shouldve won it.No question.If they couldnt wint it they surely shouldnt have got knocked out in the first round.

Russia is a racist,hate filled country.

England should feel robbed.

By far the best in your opinion. Not in the opinions of those voting.

ReputationRep:
    Why did we have prince William, David Cameron, and David Beckham up there for us? We should have had Gary Bale, Ian Holloway, and a whole pub team, we should've represented true english football.

Guaranteed win.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Colonel Brusnahan)
    Just seen your profile. ****, you get a lot of abuse :awesome:
    :yep:

Sometimes i feel :cry2: < like that. And want to :getmecoat: and other times it just reaffirms my beliefs regarding society and i get on with my day

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ipulledhermione)
    :yep:

Sometimes i feel :cry2: &lt; like that. And want to :getmecoat: and other times it just reaffirms my beliefs regarding society and i get on with my day
    Hmmm, interesting.

ReputationRep:
    I'm happy. What with the Royal wedding, the Olympics and god knows what other excuse Daily Mail Readers will find, I think by those years I'll be so sick of British arrogance and nationalism that America will look positively humble compared.

Besides, why waste more money on doing up stadiums for an industry which has ridiculous sums of money anyway? Or have another event which is attractive to terrorist nutters.

(I wouldn't normally be this harsh, I'm just bored with all the boys on facebook who seem to think the lost bid is a personal jibe at them )

ReputationRep:
    I agree that we got too arrogant, the British people and media had this ''We've won it'' mentality, and the ''promised votes'' thing wasn't a good thing to be spouting around.

But as a football fan, I was gutted. I could imagine popping down next door to Villa park and watching a ****ing World Cup game, but that was just a dream, damn......

ReputationRep:
    Why is it that as soon as England loses a bid, FIFA suddenly needs scrutinising?

Some suggestions I've heard on the news today:

• all European countries should "resign from FIFA and make their own organisation"
    • FIFA should be investigated for corruption (cause clearly there's no way someone could legitamitely vote against england)
    • having 22 people decide who wins the bid is not right (or at least not right when England loses)

You lost, get over it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by robinson999)
    its 2 new stadia which the clubs themselves are building anyway so would had the funding already in place, improvements most clubs would plan do themselves anyway
    it would cost that much, the improvement cost would be wiped out by income we get anyway
    lets not 2012 as its different you are building everything which is going to cost more

germany is massive on football, funny how they keep beating us, their league has awesome players like of Ribéry, Robben, Schweinsteiger

what poor play, getting the best players in the world playing football, the hype would be for england, what disappointment, see what happens when we host the champion league final this year fans no matter if you support the teams there or not will try and go and be about the place
    The England world cup bid includes building four new stadia. Not two. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/foo...-stadiums.html

Liverpool doesn't have the funding for it's stadium. Tottenham's new stadium hasn't been secured yet.

$240 million profit goes to FIFA, not the English economy. So that's exploitation of a country by Fifa. 897 million ($) - projected ticket revenue goes to the club who owns the stadium and so is re-invested in owners and club transfers not British economy.

England won't see much money at all really other than passing trade to hotels and pubs.

Germany beat us because their national side is better which is unrelated to the success of the domestic leagues. England has the best league but isn't in the top 10 in international teams.

And I mean, our team is bad. simply bad. just because it would be at home doesn't mean we would suddenly be world beaters. We would likely be embarrassed on home turf.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S129439)
    The England world cup bid includes building four new stadia. Not two. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/foo...-stadiums.html

Liverpool doesn't have the funding for it's stadium. Tottenham's new stadium hasn't been secured yet.

$240 million profit goes to FIFA, not the English economy. So that's exploitation of a country by Fifa. 897 million ($) - projected ticket revenue goes to the club who owns the stadium and so is re-invested in owners and club transfers not British economy.

England won't see much money at all really other than passing trade to hotels and pubs.

Germany beat us because their national side is better which is unrelated to the success of the domestic leagues. England has the best league but isn't in the top 10 in international teams.

And I mean, our team is bad. simply bad. just because it would be at home doesn't mean we would suddenly be world beaters. We would likely be embarrassed on home turf.
    it just more than hotels and pubs that will make money
    your failing to see the point that the clubs themselves have already planned to build them, they are in planning stages or whatever, liverpool could rise the funds, sell the naming rights, selling off the land, the club can loan money pretty easy

yet the domestic leagues in germany is still one of the best in Europe, ranked 4th, behind the prem, la liga and serie A, name a better league than them, again their top league is no push over, if anything the prem is losing the best league in the world to la liga

england is ranked 6th, we can put out a good team we have some very good english players but we have to keep putting out the same old team no matter if they bad they play, when the likes of Barry can play for england proves a point

anyway 8 years is a long time in football, many of the current team will no longer be playing and younger players will be coming up, a few of them are pretty good, there lies a lack of understanding football

and looking at current form and going oh look we are a very bad team, and it is only current form from the world cup and the last few games we have been poor, before the world cup england where playing good

could be seen as a very selfish view not wanting the world cup, cos oh no england may play poor football, forget that your have the worlds best players, playing football in this country

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TWF)
    I agree that we got too arrogant, the British people and media had this ''We've won it'' mentality, and the ''promised votes'' thing wasn't a good thing to be spouting around.

But as a football fan, I was gutted. I could imagine popping down next door to Villa park and watching a ****ing World Cup game, but that was just a dream, damn......
    I agree with your post wholeheartedly. As a Londoner, I would love to go to Wembley (twenty minutes) or the Emirates (thirty-five minutes), but I'm fed up of newspapers such as the Sun (yes, I'm fully aware I'm appealing to the lowest common denominator here) saying things like "The World Cup is England's birthright" and "It's rightful that football comes home", and treating the other bids like they were useless and incompetent. :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    "FIFA gives the World Cup to yet another sh*thole". This is wonderfully synoptical of why I'm almost, (almost) glad that we failed. Again-I know it's the pathetic Daily Star, but, it's still got a reader base in Britain (which is fairly embarassing for our country) which implies that there are some people in our country who actually share that view, despite the fact that Germany put together a very, very good world cup, and South Africa did remarkably well in exceeding expectations.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Obadetona)
    Why did we have prince William, David Cameron, and David Beckham up there for us? We should have had Gary Bale, Ian Holloway, and a whole pub team, we should've represented true english football.

Guaranteed win.
    If you mean "Gareth Bale", he's Welsh.....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gap)
    Glad we grabbed the Olympics for 2012; it's interesting to a large variety of people due to different events and sports in it.

The World Cup on the other hand is focused on ONE sport which only appeals to drunken chavs (compare the amount of fighting at football stadiums to Rugby, Tennis etc. etc.), if we did host the World Cup event all you'd see on tv is British skinheads fighting with every opposing supporter England would play against.
    :facepalm: "It only appeals to drunken chavs". I'm hoping you were being sarcastic....

ReputationRep:
    I was annoyed mainly because of who it went to.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQ7YY...eature=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqBtj...eature=channel

Spain and Portugal had the best bid IMO.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.