Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What would improve a coffee shop for you? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ily_em)
    I think OP wants ideas that are actually feasible. Not going to be allowed in the UK is it?
    Technically, really technically, It is possible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anita B. Studin)
    3. have workers taking the order who don't have very strong accents

RACIST!

/just kidding

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr-Dangerous)
    Technically, really technically, It is possible.
    How?

ReputationRep:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4hkS...eature=related

ReputationRep:
    marijuana

ReputationRep:
    How?
    The smoking ban says that the premises has to be substantially open (up to 50%) to be a smoking shelter. Sheesha bars took advantage of this. They have a roof and 2 walls, and leave one wall bare,in which they have intalled patio heaters. It works.

ReputationRep:
    Being a pub and not a coffee shop.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mrnightcat)
    Your post made me really want to go to where you are in China and visit those cafes.

ReputationRep:
    comfy seats and good music that makes me want to stay there

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by F i s)
    We're not in Morocco and we don't have the climate to match that idea.
    Okay. So then remove all the Chinese, Italian, Indian restaurants and whatever else isn't English if you're going to take that way of thinking. And, for the record, the Moroccan cafe I went to was in Hungary during winter. And it was extremely popular and did a lot of business.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zebrastripes)
    Your post made me really want to go to where you are in China and visit those cafes.
    You'd love them if you came to visit, and I'll miss them if I come home permanently next year. If you stop by here someday (Xiamen, south China), let me know and I'll give you a map of where they all are

ReputationRep:
    As an ex-barista and hanging out in a lot of coffee shops theres one thing I just need:

Proper coffee Most shops just push hot water through grinds and chuck on some warm milk (this is Starbucks). It's rare to find a place that'll actually use the correct amount of grinds and at the right compact to get a good crema. And the milk has to be done correctly, many places dont clean the gank off the steaming wand and dont purge it either - so it sucks up the milk and ruins it. Loads of places dont train the staff.

Also - wifi

ReputationRep:
    Free Wi-Fi is a must.
    A nice atmosphere - warm earthy colours, pictures, comfy sofas, cosy tables for quietly doing work.
    I saw someone suggest that the baristas bring the coffee over to you... like this idea... you might have shopping bags, a laptop etc, and you don't want to really put it down unattended to get a cup of coffee.
    I think newspapers are also a good idea!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hoppy77)
    Hi,

I am a business studies student and would like to carry out a bit of market research.

I have an idea for a coffee shop and before I do some more research I wanted to find out what would improve the whole 'experience' of buying and drinking at coffee shops. Such as lower price, more seats, other facilites and anything else you can think of.

Any replies would be really appreciated
    This in the background:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWB1Sqsx1jo

:cool:

P.S: if you hate the above song then you might as well join the taliban

ReputationRep:
    - Wifi for paying customers
    - Sofa's (like in Friends lol) but comfortable
    - Have warm snacks in winter

pretty much what everybody has mentioned

ReputationRep:
    You should also have a load of games for people to play, and a bookshelf with books for people to flick through.

ReputationRep:
    How?

(Original post by Mr-Dangerous)
    The smoking ban says that the premises has to be substantially open (up to 50%) to be a smoking shelter. Sheesha bars took advantage of this. They have a roof and 2 walls, and leave one wall bare,in which they have intalled patio heaters. It works.
    Also, I saw on the news, a woman managed to find a loophole in the smoking ban which allowed her to allow smoking in her pub.

It was something about letting people smoke in the pub as part of an experiment (which she made up...)

ReputationRep:
    I would love a local coffeeshop that has two sections - one is a quiet, kids-free 'work' section, in which there is free-wifi AND a few laptops that are available to use - for the laptops you would have to pay a small amount for use, but the wifi for your own laptops would be free. The other half of the shop would be for regular users and the like.

The thing I hate about Sbucks is that the coffee gets cold so quickly, it's ridiculous! They also never offer to put chocolate powder on my coffee, and there is often far too much froth.

I absolutely despise Pret coffeeshops - they rarely have enough space to accommodate everyone. I've found myself paying £6 for 'eating in' option but having to 'take-away' anyway simply because they didn't have the space! Could have saved me lots of money.

Caffe Nero is my all-time favourite coffee shop. I love the loyalty stamp card, my local barristas are always polite (always offer chocolate powder (; ) and are happy to have a little banter with me.

I agree with someone who mentioned having more diet-aware choices for sandwiches - Sbucks have 'low-cal' muffins but they are absolutely repulsive, and I'm normally a fan of the low-cal foodstuffs.

Oh - one thing that draws me to Pret is the sushi! I love a cafe that sells sushi.

I think it's great to have a newspaper rack somewhere.

Toilets are also essential - and more than one!!! is loved, I hate the awkwardness of taking my time only to see people waiting when I come out of the toilet. :s The toilets must be clean. -.-

Sbucks in Angel, London, have a nice upstairs seating option, I think it's great to have an 'upstairs' bit away from the hustle and bustle of the main counter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spexzzz)
    - Wifi for paying customers
    - Sofa's (like in Friends lol) but comfortable
    - Have warm snacks in winter

pretty much what everybody has mentioned
    I have been watching friends again from season one all the way through been two days and im still on season 5 :yep: a real marathon...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by awe)
    I would love a local coffeeshop that has two sections - one is a quiet, kids-free 'work' section, in which there is free-wifi AND a few laptops that are available to use - for the laptops you would have to pay a small amount for use, but the wifi for your own laptops would be free. The other half of the shop would be for regular users and the like.
    The thing I hate about Sbucks is that the coffee gets cold so quickly, it's ridiculous! They also never offer to put chocolate powder on my coffee, and there is often far too much froth.
    I absolutely despise Pret coffeeshops - they rarely have enough space to accommodate everyone. I've found myself paying £6 for 'eating in' option but having to 'take-away' anyway simply because they didn't have the space! Could have saved me lots of money.
    Caffe Nero is my all-time favourite coffee shop. I love the loyalty stamp card, my local barristas are always polite (always offer chocolate powder (; ) and are happy to have a little banter with me.
    I agree with someone who mentioned having more diet-aware choices for sandwiches - Sbucks have 'low-cal' muffins but they are absolutely repulsive, and I'm normally a fan of the low-cal foodstuffs.
    Oh - one thing that draws me to Pret is the sushi! I love a cafe that sells sushi.
    I think it's great to have a newspaper rack somewhere. Toilets are also essential - and more than one!!! is loved, I hate the awkwardness of taking my time only to see people waiting when I come out of the toilet. :s The toilets must be clean. -.-
    Sbucks in Angel, London, have a nice upstairs seating option, I think it's great to have an 'upstairs' bit away from the hustle and bustle of the main counter.
    hey, the craziest thing just happened... I heard f this thing lol, like... it's like this thing it's like called like ... PARAGRAPHS!!

I realise you think you've got paragraphs, but ... you're missing the ever so essential spacing between them.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.