Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kaykiie)
    Oh go away.

Cats are not selfish, just because you dislike cats doesn't make it void that they have emotions.
    Not just cats, I don't think any animals have emotions

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Life_peer)
    Certainly. I like Welsh corgis, for example. I was just pointing out some of the positives of cats and making a humorous reference to a television show named The Big Bang Theory. I have no problem with the fact that you prefer dogs.
    I didn't really like that episode myself, but way to get a reference in there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a_t)
    Primates have been known to mourn their dead family members, and primate mothers have been seen carrying their dead offspring and refusing to let go of the body.

Elephants often return to the 'gravesites' of their dead and stand beside the bones.

Primates have been known to foster other orphaned animals, so have the big cats.

I feel all animals high in the evolutionary scale have emotions, reasoning and problem solving abilities.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for making my day full of roses and sunshine... :rolleyes:
    why oh why did I look here?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BookWormShanti)
    I'm not. Do you want me to f*cking prove it? I think you're the sick one.
    You are so, so, sooo very full of sh*t. Stop seeking attention online.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a_t)
    Well they feel fear for sure, so maybe they feel other emotions.

ReputationRep:
    That was actually quite creepy to watch, rather than sweet tbh.

ReputationRep:
    So sad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by giantlemon)
    now i personally don't believe it was cpr nor for making a comfy position to sit. i do however dissagree that animals can't love. there are often clear cases of animals showing love. for example there are cases where one animal will be killed and the other will nudge or sit by it for hours. what makes animals so clearly different to humans. humans do not listen to their emotions. the reason why we don't clearly see this love is because animals have less of a chance for it as we try to keep pets seperate either by sex or otherwise to avoid breeding. we also wouldn't see them in their wild habitat. also how exactly do you think an animal would show love more clearly than being protective and staying with its partner. they can't cry or write poetry as you put it. surely being protective is the clearist way hey can exhibit love.
    Indeed, there are cases of animal 'mourning' other animals deaths. Wolves for example appear to be in a state of morning after a death of a member of the pack, where there behaviour changes considerably for lengthy periods of time. I think many animals are capable of some sort of 'love' between each other. However people confuse love between humans and animals. When my cat comes to sit with me all the time and follows me around the house rather than anyone else, it is unlikely that it has the same feelings for me as i do for it, it follows me because it knows it will always be stroked, have a warm lap to sleep on, and plenty of food.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Verthandi)
    That is a sad video, regardless of the reason the live cat was pawing at the dead cat. I highly doubt the cat knew cpr, however; they're smart but not that smart!

Whoever says cats do not feel affection has clearly never had a cat as a pet, they most certainly do form attachments - to humans and to each other.

I far prefer cats to dogs, mainly because dogs scare me a little bit. I really can't stand that dog smell, either.
    Yes animals do form attachments to human. But are these emotional attachments or beneficial attachments? I would be more inclined to believe they are beneficial i.e the animal knows that if it follows you or rubs its head against your leg, it will be rewarded, whether that be with food, a stroke, or a lap to sleep on. However, how could we explain cases of animals saving humans e.g. dogs rescuing people, babies being raised by other animals. Instinct prehaps.

ReputationRep:
    awww im crying this is for all those people who think animals have no feelings, my dad has seen a cow cry (shedding tears) while her baby was getting killed no lies so sad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a_t)
    I'd have to disagree there. Many animals exhibt emotions such as fear, anger, happiness and excitement. That isnt really debateble as it is easily observed. However, its whether animals can have higher emotions which is debateable. Can they love and hate etc. These are harder to observe and generally we just make assumptions based on how the animal behave. For example, wolves and elephants mourning their dead, geese having monogamous relationships, dolphins having sex for fun (and not just for reproduction). Anyone with a pet will probably tell you that animals can feel emotions such as love, and indeed it may seem that way, but i think we are attaching human emotions for something which most likely wont feel like that at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jackso)
    You are so, so, sooo very full of sh*t. Stop seeking attention online.
    I'm not at all but I'm sick of trying to make you see that so I'm going to end this convo here. I don't need your insults right now, on top of everything else.

ReputationRep:
    It's a sad video, but you can't assume the cat was doing a heart massage and giving artificial breathing, you honestly don't know what's going on inside a cats head. People romanticize (i don't think i spelt that right, if it's even a word!) too much about stuff.

Pets can mourn, but give CPR? I doubt it :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lewroll)
    Indeed, there are cases of animal 'mourning' other animals deaths. Wolves for example appear to be in a state of morning after a death of a member of the pack, where there behaviour changes considerably for lengthy periods of time. I think many animals are capable of some sort of 'love' between each other. However people confuse love between humans and animals. When my cat comes to sit with me all the time and follows me around the house rather than anyone else, it is unlikely that it has the same feelings for me as i do for it, it follows me because it knows it will always be stroked, have a warm lap to sleep on, and plenty of food.
    I completely agree with this. I have 2 cats and they were always spoiled rotten. BUT I don't fool myself that they have any 'love' for me in particular. They are animals and act on instinct, not human psychology.

The video was kind of sad, but the cat was obviously just snuggling with the other. Its not defending its friends dignity or "performing heart massage" =/ Cats cuddle up to each other and groom each other all the time.

ReputationRep:
    My cat's did the same thing - I think, there's not a hope in hell I'm watching that video

When my cat was hit by a car, my other cat was like 'massaging' it with it's paws when we found her and licking her face.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a_t)
    I was being facetious when I mentioned poetry ffs, and all these people claiming, oh the CATS IN LOVE have watched too many cartoons, it sticks around because there is some pair bonding on a chemical level but its not emotional in the slightest, dedication is not love! I spend 8 hours a week in the gym because I'm dedicated not because I'm in love with the gym!

Animals are protective because its part of their evolutionary make up and mindset, the whole point of reproduction is to pass on your seed, if you abandon your young as soon as they are born its clearly not going to help that hence the protection of the young and anyway there are countless cases of cats eating their own kittens, look at this

OH YEAH THAT CAT'S REALLY LOVING!!!!
    yeah i do realise you were being facetious *sigh*. did you not realise i turned that against you. anyway sure they watch too many cartoons, but there is emotional aspects. and how do you know love is not a chemical thing? i am not disagreeing i just want to see some evidence. as for you saying about the gym and dedication and staying to protect there young and that, well that has doesn't disprove my point. i was saying they stay for a while after the other one is dead and still act protective. now there is no reason behind that except some emotional reason.

as for cats eating there own kittens yeah that happens. it goes against the maternal instinct and is strange but there are lots of animals that do that. i am not saying that all animals exhibit love, i am merely saying that some do and have shown love and that is it possible. similar to humans some show love and others will go on a mass killing spree. humans are animals after all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lewroll)
    precisely. i do not have cats and they do seems to be far more self centred. but i know from my dog that animals have emotions, such as being grumpy and sulking after being ignored or told off. he then won't even come when called to make a fuss of. is it possible though that perhaps domesticated animals gain similar human qualities are long periods of time together. i realise that obviously a lot of what we perceive to be human qualities is nonsense, but domesticated animals are so vastly different to their wild counterparts it does not seem such a great leap of the imagination to think that since they are trained according to human ideals that subconsciously they may 'instinctively' do actions according to the odd one. for example after the being grumpy and upset having been ignored, when it would seem more natural to want the attention.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a_t)
    lol its a cat, which is a selfish creature anyway, I detest cats. And it goes on instinct rather than emotion, there's no thought process to these animals, its pure drive and compulsion

I'm surprised it didn't try to eat the dead cat tbh
    I'd say the cat is feeling love, or grief, or whatever.

This is because, depressingly, the real truth is that these feelings in us are nothing but "pure drive and compulsion" too.

ReputationRep:
    Why do people get extra emotional when its animals? I don't see you crying when you see this type of stuff on the news where ACTUAL PEOPLE die.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 3, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.