Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do you think there's anything wrong with letting a 9 year old boy play COD? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TPS.)
    I think that the OP means multiplayer - and at the start of the campaign you can choose whether or not you want graphic scenes, and if you choose no then the games basically a twelve.
    I agree with one of the first posts, the violence is overstated.
    x
    Ah right year, multiplayer really isn't too much of a problem.

That said, do you really want a 9 year old on the receiving end of some of the language that gets spat about on there? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chinaberry)
    Absolutely not.

They probably won't turn out to be crazed killers, but it makes the idea of violence much more normal and we have to look out for that. I don't really know what CoD is, but it sounds a little like that game where the user gets rewarded for beating up prostitutes? Don't know the name of it, but that one shocked me...
    Also it gives kids the idea that violence is the way to solve things. Perfect recipe for a peaceful world later on...
    There was a boy in my school who missed school from time to time to play stuff like that all day. He was racist and violent.

Personally, if I ever have kids, right now I wouldn't let them have a games console in the house. It's indulgent, a waste of time and you could be doing lots of other things.
    Do your really have a right to comment when you don't even know what the game is about?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TPS.)
    I think that the OP means multiplayer -
    x
    Lol, unless you have Uri Geller mind reading abilities then you have no idea if the op meant campaign or MP, so stop talking BS.

I am genuinely intrigued as to how you could possibly have arrived at this conclusion!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pamelaa)
    Do your really have a right to comment when you don't even know what the game is about?
    Do I have a right to comment? Haha that made me laugh. Anywho...

The game has elements of violence in it, yes? Then that's what I'm talking about. I'm allowed to speculate on whether or not I would encourage children playing a game like this which has elements of violence in it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mrm.)
    Lol, unless you have Uri Geller mind reading abilities then you have no idea if the op meant campaign or MP, so stop talking BS.

I am genuinely intrigued as to how you could possibly have arrived at this conclusion!
    LOL, its just most people skip the campaign and go straight to the multiplayer - and go on to play the campaign either when bored of the multiplayer or never.
    Atleast thats what pretty much my whole friends list on xbox did :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    NOPE nothing that u wudnt see on the news is on cod really its a part of life people love to start wars an then they have hissy fits when a game comes out shooting pixels ha ha ha

ReputationRep:
    Yes. It is wrong to let a young child (or anyone) be introduced to this absolute monstrosity of a game...

ReputationRep:
    I would not, what do you expect him to grow up to be?

ReputationRep:
    When I was a kid I used to play Vice Cops 2 and Mortal Kombat 4 on my Pentium 2 running Windows '98. That was some crazy ****. Nowadays however, I've moved away from the bullets and the Fatalities, and more towards the nice meadows of Thunder Bluff in Azeroth.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, just don't let him use the headset. I would happily set fire to the 'responsible' adult who bought the game for kids whos voice hasn't broken. It's like being in a ****ing creche

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by karateworm)
    Ah right year, multiplayer really isn't too much of a problem.

That said, do you really want a 9 year old on the receiving end of some of the language that gets spat about on there? :confused:
    ITT he deserves it if he camps.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Madjackismad)
    I don't give a **** if you read the Daily Mail or not, in fact, I never even said you did. A lot more papers moan about the nanny state than the Daily Mail do.

How can you be in a position to judge "most of the youth of today"? And how can you say they have no clue? You seem to be specifically attacking those who were involved in the riots over tuition fees. You're only 19 years old, I'm going to say this once more and then end this pointless argument - get a grip.
    please just stfu

ReputationRep:
    I think it depends really.
    An awful lot of 9 year old kids watch 15 / 18 rated movies, so I don't see the difference really.
    I wouldn't let them have a headset though (IMO the stuff that is said over comms is often worse than the content of the game itself).

I do think it is important for parents to be engaged in what their kids are doing however. Kids / teens WILL find a way to play / watch things they shouldn't. I know I did. So I think as long as the parent actually does some parenting, and ensures the kid doesn't spend all of his / her time playing game, then theres no harm done.

(Original post by chinaberry)
    I don't really know what CoD is
    Then that totally invalidates your entire post I'm afraid.

(Original post by lyrical_lie)
    Probably not it's an 18 for a reason. Also if your 9 you should be out playing
    (Original post by PinkMobilePhone)
    I wouldn't let my child at 9 play an 18 game no. Definitely not.
    Regarding the above two posts, you have to remember games are rated more strictly than films. An 18 rated game will contain similar scenes to a 12 or 15 rated film. The Dark Knight was rated 12A, yet that contains violence similar to CoD etc.

ReputationRep:
    Yes I think it's wrong. it's an 18 for a reason. I know someone who lets their 7 year old play it and granted she doesn't seem bothered by the blood and violence but under 10s are at an impressionable age imo and I wouldn't let my daughter play anything like it until she was at least 12. There are plenty of games aimed at kids out there for them not to need to play games like that. There's really no need to expose them to that at that age. Whether it will damage them for life is a different matter altogether but I still think it's unnecessary.

(Original post by JAKstriked)
      please just stfu
      Pathetic.
      • Reporter Team
      • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by WelshBluebird)

Regarding the above two posts, you have to remember games are rated more strictly than films. An 18 rated game will contain similar scenes to a 12 or 15 rated film. The Dark Knight was rated 12A, yet that contains violence similar to CoD etc.

I definitely wouldn't let a 9 year old watch a 15 either - and as for a 12 I'd have to watch it first to see and make a decision based on my own opinion. More than likely I'd go with 'not' rather than 'allow'.

I was never allowed to watch films above my own age rating as a kid, and I have no problem with that. They're that age rating for a reason.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Madjackismad)
      Pathetic.
      what's pathetic? your judgemental view of people on an internet forum?

ReputationRep:
      Imo 9 is a bit too young, but I also wouldn't be so harsh as to make them wait until they're 18 to play. Maybe 13?

(Original post by JAKstriked)
        what's pathetic? your judgemental view of people on an internet forum?
        I think, if you go back a page, that he judged me first. My comments were just in response.

ReputationRep:
        There's already masses of 9 year olds on the headsets when you're playing

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
      Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
      Useful resources
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
      Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.