Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why do all the kids these days omit "to"? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Never in my life have I seen that, but now I have. Thank you very much.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chinaberry)
    Where I'm from it's not really a 'Rah' thing, more a plastic thing...
    ahh right odd that I find both 'Rahs' and plastics are hot as they are annoying. Some just have suuuch massive egos, it's funny

ReputationRep:
    noones ever said it where ive lived , or i never noticed it at least (cheshire surrey hampshire dorset)

my family who live in yorkshire say stuff like that though -.-

ReputationRep:
    Probably a london thing, I understand correct grammar at the appropiate situations but informal language doesn't necessarily have to be grammatically correct neither would I frown upon it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by |_0ST)
    this has nothing to do with the thread, but i LOVE your signature picture thingy magicy! made me smile

thanks

ReputationRep:
    People do that around here.

ReputationRep:
    I live in east London, and I hear a lot of yobs talk like this.

ReputationRep:
    Because they are filthy chavs

ReputationRep:
    yes this is a london thing definitely! i often hear - 'you coming shop?'

(Original post by Arekkusu)
      have people always said things like
      the usage has an interesting parallel: most people i know would say "i'm going home".

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Kolya)
      the usage has an interesting parallel: most people i know would say "i'm going home".
      good point, but after a bit of thinking I've realised "home" is a preposition, NOT a noun, like you can say "I'm going there/away/back".

Compare it with the French chez moi, it's derived from "house" (cf. casa) but is definitely a preposition.

ReputationRep:
      Now I'm not usually ever some sort of grammar Nazi and certainly not a linguistic prescriptivist, but have people always said things like I'm going shop or come train station tonight or I've never been Scotland?

It annoys me a bit.
      I've never heard that but in yorkshire we tend to say 'to' and miss 'the' lol

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Baula)
      I've never heard that but in yorkshire we tend to say 'to' and miss 'the' lol
      Linguistically you don't, it's still retained as a glottal stop. This is a London rudeboy thing.

Or ting.

ReputationRep:
      Linguistically you don't, it's still retained as a glottal stop. This is a London rudeboy thing.

Or ting.
      I haven't studied Eng lang at A-level so from what I've just read about glottal stops, do you mean that we say t'shops for example?
      What I meant was that instead of saying something like "Shut the door" we might say "Shut door"

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Baula)
      I haven't studied Eng lang at A-level so from what I've just read about glottal stops, do you mean that we say t'shops for example?
      What I meant was that instead of saying something like "Shut the door" we might say "Shut door"
      yeah, more or less, but if you think of a different example like "open (t') door", your voice will probably still do a little stop before door to signify there's meant to be a "the" there. Compare it to when you say "there's an open door in my house"

The reason I say use a different example is because shut already ends in a "stop consonant" so the difference wouldn't be so obvious.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by No Man)
      I think it's a regional thing.
      i think it is a regional thing coz where i come from ppl speak lyk that all the time, in fact i speak lyk that. its just a case of wots easier to say, ppl still get ur drift. having said that i dnt think ive herd ppl from other places speak lyk that so yh i wuld say its a regional thing

ReputationRep:
      Ahh people do that all the time here in Manchester..

Usually my linguistic archaism would force me to be disgusted, but this one really is a time/breath-saver.
      I don't mind it so much unless it's accompanied by faux-northernness in an attempt to sound more like some kind of country badass. (A surprisingly common sight in my incredibly middle-class 6th form.)
      It's when people start writing it down that I feel like FUUUUUUUUU-.

ReputationRep:
      It's an Americanism. That's grammatically correct over there, going by American authors who despite otherwise perfect in their grammar, omit the 'to'.

I never do it. It doesn't make sense to me.

The other thing is "Go [omitted AND] get me a drink", which you see all the time online, even by British people.

Submit reply
    TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 5, 2010
  1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.