Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Are ethnic minorities who use anglicised names sell outs? Watch

• View Poll Results: Are these people sell outs?
    Yes
    17.09%
    No
    67.52%
    In some cases
    15.38%

ReputationRep:
    Yes, you see these asians calling themselves Anthony :| Stay true to your roots.. goes for any group of people/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by babygirl110)
    I'd rather do that, **** heritage. In fact, I'm already doing it in many ways, call me a sell-out or whatever you like. There are some traditional things in my culture that I would rather do with out.
    So it is selling out but justified in your view? Yeah there are some traditions about your own culture you might disagree with or disapprove of, but this is also extended to your name?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brutal Honesty)
    So it is selling out but justified in your view? Yeah there are some traditions about your own culture you might disagree with or disapprove of, but this is also extended to your name?
    No I do not call it selling out, I call it adapting to the society one lives in. You are the one who calls it selling out, that's why I said call it whatever you like. Yes it would also extend to my name if need be and so far that need hasn't arisen.
    Also if I wanted to change my name today, I'd still go for an ethnic name but a more appropriate rational form. Something like thandi, sandi, khanya, thando, sindi- some of these are names that my parents chose to bypass for a 13 letter monstrosity.

Am I going to be a sell out since baby names won't be welcome from them?

ReputationRep:
    It depends if they changed their name themselves or weather they're parent did it. My mate is called 'Steven' and he's a British born Indian but you would be suprised at the amount of assuptions and even ignorant comments he get directed towards him. Some people call him a 'coconut' (brown on the outside white within) and assume he can't speak his mother tongue.

ReputationRep:
    No. Being able to refer to yourself by the name of your choice is a fundamental human right.

Also, many non-white people in Great Britain are from cultures which have spent so long being dominated by British culture that their names have become anglicised anyway, especially Afro-Carribbean people who (from experience) almost exclusively have English surnames and first names.

ReputationRep:
    Has it occured to you that some people might go for more traditionally "British" names because they feel more British than their parents did? Maybe Suresh grew up, and by his tenth birthday felt more like a Scully than a Suresh. Since when does changing your name to reflect who you are on the inside make you a sellout? How would it?

ReputationRep:
    If you had to live in China for work or something would you adopt a Chinese name and keep with it so everyone only knew you by your Chinese name apart from your family? Isn't it taking away a massive part of your identity in an effort to fit in?
    do you understand the concept of "being named"?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by babygirl110)
    No I do not call it selling out, I call it adapting to the society one lives in. You are the one who calls it selling out, that's why I said call it whatever you like. Yes it would also extend to my name if need be and so far that need hasn't arisen.
    Also if I wanted to change my name today, I'd still go for an ethnic name but a more appropriate rational form. Something like thandi, sandi, khanya, thando, sindi- some of these are names that my parents chose to bypass for a 13 letter monstrosity.

Am I going to be a sell out since baby names won't be welcome from them?
    That's not anglicising your name properly though because those names still exist in your heritage. I'm talking about people who adopt names which are non-existent in their heritage.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vhvhvh)
    No. Being able to refer to yourself by the name of your choice is a fundamental human right.

Also, many non-white people in Great Britain are from cultures which have spent so long being dominated by British culture that their names have become anglicised anyway, especially Afro-Carribbean people who (from experience) almost exclusively have English surnames and first names.
    Black people in the West Indies have English surnames and first names because of slavery and they were named by their owners rather than choosing to adopt English names. You'll also notice they lost their African language because they were forced to speak English. They therefore have little cultural connection with Africa itself apart from the colour of their skin of course.

ReputationRep:
    White people are the real minorities on this planet, so are they all sell outs?

ReputationRep:
    That's not anglicising your name properly though because those names still exist in your heritage. I'm talking about people who adopt names which are non-existent in their heritage.
    Where are you from anyway OP? Strange one you are.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 4, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.