Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How many of you eat food that isn't yours? And be HONEST! Watch

ReputationRep:
    I do it every hour in my university accomodation

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sakura-Chan)
    Basically, I'm just wondering how many of you do this. And why? We're all in the same boat, we all have to budget for food, why do you think it's okay to eat other people's stuff?

I'm ****ing sick and tired of going to the fridge and finding that half my bacon is missing, that someone's eaten the rest of my cheese slices and left the empty packet in the fridge, that my milk is empty and someone has dared to open my goats cheese.

I've tried labelling thing, putting my name on. Writting notes saying I've sneezed over the slice of pizza that I put in there for later etc. I've tried leaving it without labels to see if it changes things, and things still disappear. Of course, nobody will own up to it.

Obviously I keep the best things in my room, like crisps, cereal, and chocolate. And anything that doesn't need to be in the fridge/freezer really.

Seriously, what will it take for people to stop helping themselves to my food?!
    The person who negged the post ate your food.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheSownRose)
    You're doing it again - dismissing them as a faceless corporation. Someone will run that shop and will care that they have been stolen from; someone will be security, and will care that they missed it. Someone will be personally upset by you stealing from a shop.
    Are you genuinely saying that having one block of cheese stolen from someone's shop will ruin their day, or even upset them? One block?

ReputationRep:
    It really winds me up when I know my housemate has been pinching my stuff, when she has a hell of a lot more money than me, she's just too bloody lazy to go to the shop. Then when you confront her she claims she ran out of it, despite the fact she's never bought it before ¬_¬

We're all fairly good in the house - no one really takes anything that doesn't belong to them that they can't replace (and anything used is asked for!) and we all share milk and bread... So much easier than halls!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by missygeorgia)
    Are you genuinely saying that having one block of cheese stolen from someone's shop will ruin their day, or even upset them? One block?
    It would upset me. I've trusted the community enough to open my doors to them and allow them to buy my produce ... and they've just abused it.

ReputationRep:
    It would upset me. I've trusted the community enough to open my doors to them and allow them to buy my produce ... and they've just abused it.
    Except you're not a retailer- and good thing too, because retailers factor shoplifting into their costs as inevitable. It would never upset a retailer that one block of cheese has been stolen- at the very worst, it might stress someone out if a hell of a lot of shoplifting is going on. But a block of cheese? Nah. So no, you can't really speak for retailers on that matter, and I can guarantee students would get more upset about their food getting stolen then people working at a supermarket would.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by missygeorgia)
    Except you're not a retailer- and good thing too, because retailers factor shoplifting into their costs as inevitable. It would never upset a retailer that one block of cheese has been stolen- at the very worst, it might stress someone out if a hell of a lot of shoplifting is going on. But a block of cheese? Nah. So no, you can't really speak for retailers on that matter, and I can guarantee students would get more upset about their food getting stolen then people working at a supermarket would.
    How can you guarantee that?

ReputationRep:
    How can you guarantee that?
    Oh come on, don't be silly. It's annoying when someone nicks something from your shop, but it doesn't upset you - it's part of the course. It's crappy when your flatmates steal your food, though, and I'd be far more upset at that than someone stealing a bit of stuff from my workplace.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by psychocustard)
    Oh come on, don't be silly. It's annoying when someone nicks something from your shop, but it doesn't upset you - it's part of the course. It's crappy when your flatmates steal your food, though, and I'd be far more upset at that than someone stealing a bit of stuff from my workplace.
    Maybe I'm just old-fashioned, I'd be inclined to feel upset about people stealing from me anywhere.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe I'm just old-fashioned, I'd be inclined to feel upset about people stealing from me anywhere.
    Please never work in retail - I'd be afraid of finding you a quivering wreck in the staff room every time the stock levels didn't match up.

ReputationRep:
    Theirs always people nicking things from my fridge gaaaaaaaaaaaaaawd, but to be fair its my mum and dad and they buy the stuff, and its their fridge and house :P, i live at home lol.

Most of your flatmates sounds like right pricks, i wouldnt mind if people asked first but if they kept on taking it and never admitting if i asked, id just stop buying food for a week and use theirs,they should get the idea, even if i wasnt hungry and they were out, id just make stuff and feed pigeons or friends who come over.

ReputationRep:
    If I was really angry enough, I'd compromise my food. Inject laxative into whatever was going missing, then you know who it was, and then I'd politely tell them that occassionally, I plan to inject bleach into my food, so don't **** with me again.

But I don't think I'd care too much, because I wouldn't buy any food that I wouldn't eat immediately.

ReputationRep:
    last night, took 4 yoghurts, today some sugar for my oats

ReputationRep:
    I stop people from stealing my food putting a fridge in my room Could you not do this? I have stolen 2 slices of bread, but only because it was Sunday night (shops shut) and they had pretty much a full loaf (although this still doesn't justify stealing). I have also stolen enough milk to make a cup of tea twice. I would never steal 'proper' food like bacon - meat is expensive, and I especially wouldn't eat the last of someone's food and leave them the empty packet - that's so rude and disrespectful.

ReputationRep:
    Hate to interupt but if your day is ruined because a small block of cheese has been taken from you then your life must be rather empty. It's a pain but it's £1.50 or £2, be angry, shout at everyone and everything in the kitchen, ask around and then, move on. Don't sulk until you go to bed

ReputationRep:
    I take milk for tea when i run out

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elixira)
    I tend to have few scruples when drunk so if someone's silly enough to leave nice food like chocolate in their cupboard, I'll probably eat it... don't really care if people steal my food though, and have no qualms about replacing it.
    You and me could have great drunk dirty sex.:pierre:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SoulfulBoy)
    You and me could have great drunk dirty sex.:pierre:
    Will you let me raid your cupboard afterwards? :cookie:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EarlHickey)
    I should say one of the worst things about stealing food, especially stuff like milk is sometimes I buy it and then dont use it for a few days, then come to open it thinking it will be fresh as its unopened to find it opened and off therefore I have to pour an entire bottle down the sink minus what was stolen.
    That doesn't make any sense. If milk has been opened it still has the same use-by date. So if you got to it and it was opened and off then if they hadn't opened it it would be unopened and STILL off. So basically you must have had it for quite a while before you went to use it therefore proving you don't really even use milk on a regular basis?!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by un-jardin-sur-le-nil)
    That doesn't make any sense. If milk has been opened it still has the same use-by date. So if you got to it and it was opened and off then if they hadn't opened it it would be unopened and STILL off. So basically you must have had it for quite a while before you went to use it therefore proving you don't really even use milk on a regular basis?!!
    Milk lasts quite a while after its sell by date, the difference is once the seal is off it goes off really quickly i,e within a few days so if I am wanting to eat cereal for a few days or I have woken up earlier than normal thats when I use far more milk than usual.

I think I said earlier that most food doesnt go off that fast after its sell by date, and theres a difference by sell by, best before and use before.

Yogurt for example lasts weeks if not months after its sell by unless its seal is opened as think about it, all yogurt comes down to is off milk anyway.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Find out more

Accommodation profiles:

Prodigy Living

Prodigy Living

Accommodation in 15 cities across the UK, with 24 sites providing modern, stylish en suite and studio rooms close to the major universities.

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation across the UK.

Universal Student Living

Universal Student Living

“All-inclusive student accommodation in prime locations across the UK.”

Articles:

Student accommodation articles What to take to uniDo I need a TV licence?

Quick link:

Unanswered student accommodation threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.