Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

We're all going to die one day..so why is suicide wrong? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lightburns)
    You think that it's better to not tell your family what is going on? Put a happy mask over your troubles and let them all live in the dark?
    If you are honest and speak to your family (which often eases people's pain somewhat - and they should want to help), then they know your are living an unhappy life and they know the causes of it.

At the end of the day, if someone's life is so bad they want to commit suicide, they should be able to without the guilt. Their pain is unbearable, whereas family will recover. I agree with the OP that it isn't that different from a natural death, but also with you that it is different, and more painful. Just I don't think it's majorly different.
    You can't guarantee that at all. By giving in to your depression, you may in turn force that upon someone who loved you. Family might blame themselves and that might lead to long term depression for them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Glowy Amoeba)
    Life itself is so fascinating that even a wretched one seems worth living. I've come to accept my life as meaningless, and non-existence as the ultimate reward yet I still love life with a passion. People who think their lives are worthless may not be crazy (in fact they are more lucid then most) but they seem misguided to me. I say "Might as well live..." or live your life because it's there.

Everytime I feel down, I read the myth of Sisyphus by Camus. try it. :bebored:
    I am an atheist, and I now am not depressed or anything. I like life now. Before, I did not. Life was still fascinating, but ultimately is was also incredibly painful. It is hard to look back on how I was. It is very possible to get to a point where life is so wretched that it most certainly is not worth living. It doesn't matter what you read when you reach this.

(Original post by Lewroll)
    If someone can weigh up their life and see that it isnt good, what reason can they give not to try and make their life better?
    I understand what you are saying, and you make a fair point. However I still maintain that suicide is never the answer. A dead person is no good to anyone. A living person can be useful to everyone. So I'm not saying that they shouldnt kill themselves because they could be useful to society, what I'm saying is that the person can make their life worthwile. Hopefully I will never find myself in a position where i consider suicide, but if i do i will decide that if my life is no longer worth living, then I might as well spend my time making someone elses life better.
    There are situations where it is not possible to make life better, or that it will take so long to get better that the suffering is too much. For some people, it is completely understandable why they would want to take their own life. If they want to help people, they can make sure they are an organ donor / donated body to science, and put a charity in their will.

ReputationRep:
    That's like saying murder is ok because everyone's going to die some day.

But seriously, suicide is a personal choice, I don't think it's wrong at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lightburns)
    I am an atheist, and I now am not depressed or anything. I like life now. Before, I did not. Life was still fascinating, but ultimately is was also incredibly painful. It is hard to look back on how I was. It is very possible to get to a point where life is so wretched that it most certainly is not worth living. It doesn't matter what you read when you reach this.

There are situations where it is not possible to make life better, or that it will take so long to get better that the suffering is too much. For some people, it is completely understandable why they would want to take their own life. If they want to help people, they can make sure they are an organ donor / donated body to science, and put a charity in their will.
    Yes, I have to admit there are some extreme cases for which assisted suicide is the best option.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Retrodiction)
    That's like saying murder is ok because everyone's going to die some day.

But seriously, suicide is a personal choice, I don't think it's wrong at all.
    Suicide is liking cutting your spaghetti with a knife. It's not actually wrong, but you still shouldn't do it.

ReputationRep:
    Suicide is liking cutting your spaghetti with a knife. It's not actually wrong, but you still shouldn't do it.
    More like eating it with a spork rather than a fork. It looks weird, but some people prefer to eat it that way.

ReputationRep:
    Suicide is like going hungry because you hate spaghetti.

ReputationRep:
    It's a personal choice; who are you to say that somebody you don't know, and whose situation you're ignorant of, shouldn't do it?

ReputationRep:
    It's a personal choice; who are you to say that somebody you don't know, and whose situation you're ignorant of, shouldn't do it?
    People never exhaust all possibilities to improve their lives. I'm just trying to provide some motivation to try. Who knows, maybe I saved a life with my lame humorous post? Freedom over whether we choose to live or not is the only true freedom we have, so it must be used carefully and not over a whim.

ReputationRep:
    Suicide will make them feel worse though, seeing as you clearly were living an unhappy life to do this. It would be easier to take if they know that you died happy, especially living a long, worthwhile life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by littlepotatoe)
    Fine, you think suicide is ok, I don't. End of
    It's more of an issue that you think taking one's own life is selfish, but don't think the same way about people staying alive when they really feel it's not worth living for the sake of other people's feelings.

ReputationRep:
    Problem with suicide is that its selfish.

You don't just affect yourself, you affect all those around you that loved you.

That's what stopped me. You have to think of the others who won't have you in their lives.

ReputationRep:
    People never exhaust all possibilities to improve their lives. I'm just trying to provide some motivation to try. Who knows, maybe I saved a life with my lame humorous post? Freedom over whether we choose to live or not is the only true freedom we have, so it must be used carefully and not over a whim.
    Sure, it can sometimes be a short-sighted decision. I'll concede that. But it's one thing to call a decision short-sighted, and another one completely to call a decision wrong. To assert that something is wrong requires an objective model of morality and ethics, which doesn't exist.

If I were to commit suicide, I wouldn't care about how it would affect anyone. Call me selfish but I just really could care less about my "family" or "friends".

ReputationRep:
    Didn't mean to post that as anonymous. Lol.

ReputationRep:
    commiting suicide is the most selfish act ever.

ReputationRep:
    Sure, it can sometimes be a short-sighted decision. I'll concede that. But it's one thing to call a decision short-sighted, and another one completely to call a decision wrong. To assert that something is wrong requires an objective model of morality and ethics, which doesn't exist.
    I wasn't calling suicide wrong! I clearly stated the opposite. Suicide is not wrong, however you get no cookie points for it.

ReputationRep:
    Urrgh, I am sick of listening to expressions like 'suicide is wrong', 'suicide is a sin' and so on. Suicide is a personal choice. It is selfish to force someone to go on living in pain if his mind clearly does not function properly and nothing can help it get fixed.

If life slaps you around all the time, give it the bullet. Abrahamic religions are nothing but a brainwashing bane.

ReputationRep:
    Suicide is self expression.

ReputationRep:
    Immanuel Kant argues against suicide in Fundamental Principles of The Metaphysic of Morals. In accordance with the second formulation of his categorical imperative, Kant argues that, "He who contemplates suicide should ask himself whether his action can be consistent with the idea of humanity as an end in itself." Kant's theory looks at the act only, and not at its outcomes and consequences. You would then have to think whether you would be willing to universalise the act: to claim everyone should behave that way. Kant argues that if a person chooses to commit suicide, that is using themselves as a means to satisfy themselves, but a person cannot be used "...merely as means, but must in all actions always be considered as an end in himself." Therefore, it is unethical to commit suicide to satisfy oneself.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 19, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.