Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Medicine Man)
    Blimey. This thread scares me. My CV looks so, so, SO bare. I really need to fix up and start getting things done.
    Jesus lord mercy. This thread has given me nightmares.

ReputationRep:
    Just having seen these ahh scary posts makes me not want to look at the beginning of the thread again...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KenGosgrove)
    Jesus lord mercy. This thread has given me nightmares.
    having read this thread I have resigned myself to never being able to get a speciality training post.

ReputationRep:
    Is anyone applying for Public Health? Ive posted in Graduate Medicine and Medical but haven't had many responses. Ive got my exam on 8th January. Is anyone else taking it?............................. .............

ReputationRep:
    Thanks Jamie.

Does anyone know if theres only a maximum of one point awarded for getting a national undergrad prize? Or is it 1 point per prize?

And do prizes at conferences count for anything at all? And on that note, do posters/presentations qualify for any points?

Thank you in advance for any advice

ReputationRep:
    Did we come to a conclusion about whether getting distinction in finals/honours (provided the standard qualification isnt MBBS Hons!!) counts towards anything?

ReputationRep:
    Thinking about ACCS EM. I'm not finding much useful information about the application process other than "apply via London deanery".

Questions for anyone who has gone through the application process or just knows more than me:
    1. Do you apply to a deanery and only once successful rank individual hospitals?
    2. Do the three ACCS years tend to be in the same trust or do they move around - if they move is there an element of choice?

I know it varies between deaneries probably but I'd be interested to hear what other have experienced or know.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clarusblue)
    Thinking about ACCS EM. I'm not finding much useful information about the application process other than "apply via London deanery".

Questions for anyone who has gone through the application process or just knows more than me:
    1. Do you apply to a deanery and only once successful rank individual hospitals?
    2. Do the three ACCS years tend to be in the same trust or do they move around - if they move is there an element of choice?

I know it varies between deaneries probably but I'd be interested to hear what other have experienced or know.
    1) Yes, though some deaneries (e.g. London) are subdivided into smaller "schools" and you will be asked to rank the schools prior to interview.
    2) I think that the first two years are usually at one trust and then the third at another, but this may not be true everywhere.

ReputationRep:
    Guys, does a re-audit (some else's audit, but you did the intervention and re-audit and presentation of re-audit) count as closing the loop?

ReputationRep:
    If people need advice about applying for ACCS EM then let me know - PM me.

I applied for 2015 entry and got my top choice - but when I was applying I struggled to find ANYONE else applying or significantly able to help. I'd be really happy to help.No hesitation - just ask.

Why would I help? The unique thing about EM is that it's in our interests as a profession that we get as many UK consultants as possible for it to work at all. For me to have a sustainable career in the future I need YOU to be successful.

ReputationRep:
    Has this system changed at all since this was posted?

Looking at this now has me scared. I've been mucking about and just faffing around so much at uni :nooo: Don't regret it at all tbh as I'm really happy but I don't like the fact I sometimes lose sight of what I'm doing this degree for and maybe have compromised work a little

(Original post by ThisLittlePiggy)
    Thanks for the heads up Jamie, :top:

I'd better get off my backside and get something together.

Wish there was social criteria...
    Spoiler:
    Show

0-none
    1-informal drinking
    2-Contribution to formal drinking events
    3-Major contribution to the local drinking scene
    4-Master of ceremonies and games

A pig can dream :daydreaming:
    This would be *AMAZING* :elefant:

How competitive is paeds? (in Scotland...)
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -Neuro-)
    Has this system changed at all since this was posted?

Looking at this now has me scared. I've been mucking about and just faffing around so much at uni :nooo: Don't regret it at all tbh as I'm really happy but I don't like the fact I sometimes lose sight of what I'm doing this degree for and maybe have compromised work a little
    It's only the end of your first year, don't sweat it at all. It's far more important that you enjoy your time at uni for now.

This would be *AMAZING* :elefant:

How competitive is paeds? (in Scotland...)
    Badaboom!

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,

I've just got a question about prizes. I got a 3rd prize in a poster presentation at a national conference - does this count as a "national prize related to medicine" and can I claim the 8 points for it? I just remember someone telling me that only first place counts but this doesn't seem to be clear from the application forms.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 12, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.