Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'd like for that statistic to be put in context, for example disclosing the total number of black applicants, their academic credentials and the % accepted.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    I'd say it's just symptomatic of a larger problem with the education system... why certain racial groups are less likely to apply to Oxbridge in the first instance and why certain racial groups to worse in A Levels/GCSEs than others.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Krebs)

"I'm black and applied for Law at Oxford this year. Got 5 As at AS level, near-perfect predictions far beyond what they ask for and pretty nifty GCSE grades too. Didn't even get an interview and everyone thought there was something smelly in the water. They never told me why I wasn't good enough. I would be very worried for the future and direction of our society if this is why."- a comment
    Because his personal statement didnt get up to standard?

ReputationRep:
    If I'm honest with you capable black students are put off from applying to Oxbridge I feel. I went to a high performing school with a significant amount of black students and not one of us in my year applied to Oxbridge. A Lot of them had very strong applications and in a few cases even stronger applications than our white collegues who did apply to Oxbridge. I feel that a lot of black students may not apply there because they feel they won't fit in or that they feel their race may hold them back in the application process

ReputationRep:
    This is just talking about Carribeans but what about Africans?? A goood number if us should be getting into Oxbridge surely?

ReputationRep:
    At this stage the age old advice of aiming to do twice as well as your peers is always good advice to follow in my view. It does increase the chances of success.

Discrimination on the grounds of colour or race is still only one type of discrimination and it cant be blamed for all rejections.

It is dangerous as an individual to blame rejection solely on race. This is because it prevents that individual reflecting properly and rationally on the reasons for failure and learning so that mistakes are not repeated.
    it is also dangerous because rejection on the grounds of race can lead to a mindset of the situation being unchangeable or unalterable. So a cycle of failure develops.

At some point in one's life it is true that one gets physically and mentally tired of always having to do twice as well as others to get the same result-but I will say this, never underestimate the competition- whatever their colour.

and good luck for your future- I do hope you get in somewhere nice.:goodluck:

ReputationRep:
    Because black people are a significant percentage of this country's population, we would expect to see a corresponding percentage of black students at Oxbridge.
    It's quite easy to attribute the glaringly obvious lack of black students at Oxbridge to racism but there are other reasons.
    Oxford and Cambridge do not operate a racial quota system. They accept students on merit. Having four A's at A/S is not really that unusual in Oxbridge applicants as about 25% of A/S results are grade A's and Oxbridge attracts better applicants. Other factors such as personal statements, interests and contributions outside of school and references are important.
    As far as I know, no other racial group has complained that they have been discriminated against for Oxbridge entry even though some racial groups are discriminated against in society generally. I've never heard any complaints from students of South Asian origin or Jews for example.
    Maybe it's easier to complain about racism than it is to face up to the fact that black students generally don't do that well academically and often fail at school. As has been said, they generally have a lower level of literacy and numeracy and don't do well / often play around at school. It's politically incorrect to say these things, which is why people like Katharine Birbalsingh was forced out of her job for telling the truth.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think they're racist. No idea about Oxford (though I admit to being put off when my friends apparently saw not one black person in a whole day there) but at Cambridge the people seemed nice and didn't act mean to me based purely on me being black. In fact, no-one was mean to me. Personally, I hate when other black people (and my younger brother is a typical example) play the "RACIST" card. I think if I don't get in it will be purely and simply because my grades aren't good enough.

The article hasn't taken into account the fact that some black people don't get as much educational support from the beginning. I'm fostered, and I've seen the number of magazines adverting children who need homes. Nearly all of them are black. Obviously I don't know the exact statistics, but children from fostered backgrounds tend to have enough problems as it is. Obviously this isn't representative of all black people, this is just one group, but it's an example of how black people may have problems from the beginning that need to be sorted out first.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Horsedobbin)
    Because black people are a significant percentage of this country's population, we would expect to see a corresponding percentage of black students at Oxbridge.
    It's quite easy to attribute the glaringly obvious lack of black students at Oxbridge to racism but there are other reasons.
    Oxford and Cambridge do not operate a racial quota system. They accept students on merit. Having four A's at A/S is not really that unusual in Oxbridge applicants as about 25% of A/S results are grade A's and Oxbridge attracts better applicants. Other factors such as personal statements, interests and contributions outside of school and references are important.
    As far as I know, no other racial group has complained that they have been discriminated against for Oxbridge entry even though some racial groups are discriminated against in society generally. I've never heard any complaints from students of South Asian origin or Jews for example.
    Maybe it's easier to complain about racism than it is to face up to the fact that black students generally don't do that well academically and often fail at school. As has been said, they generally have a lower level of literacy and numeracy and don't do well / often play around at school. It's politically incorrect to say these things, which is why people like Katharine Birbalsingh was forced out of her job for telling the truth.
    This isn't true at all, this is a stereortype that is perpetuated by racist people like yourself.

edit: Even if it was true, you are speaking in general terms. That doesn't explain how 21 colleges managed to not admit a single black student this year, and Merton hasn't admitted a black student in 5 years. I would think that out of all the applications that Oxbridge receive from all over the world there would be at least one black student at each college.

ReputationRep:
    The answer is plain and simple really; not enough apply because of prejudice and not thinking they will 'fit in'. I know many able Afro-Carribeans who could get into oxbridge, but they simply do not apply because they are reluctant to leave the multi-cultural nest of their cities be it London, Liverpool, Manchester, Edinburgh etc.

If I ever get the grade to go to cambridge, I would have to seriously consider the implications of it on my social well-being if the situtation occurs whereby I am the only black student in my year.

All in all, I would prefer to go to city universities such as Imperial, UCL or QMUS among others of the same type, just because I want to have an enjoyable experience and not have ''only black student'' hovering over my head the whole time.

Socio-economic reasons also apply, such as not having good preparation for UCAS, but I think my former argument sums it up nicely.

Percieved predujice at oxbridge -> reluctant to apply -> lower applicants -> lower student count. There are also other arguments, but they would be a whole different story.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by i_hate_teeth)
    This isn't true at all, this is a stereortype that is perpetuated by racist people like yourself.

edit: Even if it was true, you are speaking in general terms. That doesn't explain how 21 colleges managed to not admit a single black student this year, and Merton hasn't admitted a black student in 5 years. I would think that out of all the applications that Oxbridge receive from all over the world there would be at least one black student at each college.
    Sorry to disillusion you, but it is true that black students do badly at school.
    It's not a "stereotype" and if you spend five minutes putting it into google you'll learn about it for yourself.

Also google Katharine Birbalsingh to find out what some of the reasons might be.

Part of the problem is the very high number of black children that grow up without a father = no male role model and quite often mothers that hate them.
    Again, don't take my work for it = do a bit of research on the internet and don't jump to the conclusion that everything is down to racism.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry to disillusion you, but it is true that black students do badly at school.
    It's not a "stereotype" and if you spend five minutes putting it into google you'll learn about it for yourself.

Also google Katharine Birbalsingh to find out what some of the reasons might be.

Part of the problem is the very high number of black children that grow up without a father = no male role model and quite often mothers that hate them.
    Again, don't take my work for it = do a bit of research on the internet and don't jump to the conclusion that everything is down to racism.
    Generally that's black kids with a Caribbean background. African kids generally do better.

ReputationRep:

You aren't dissilusiong anybody. All you are doing is showing your ignorance.

ReputationRep:
    The oxbridge admissions tutors didn't want their wives to feel the anaconda

ReputationRep:
    From my experience black people don't want to go to Oxford. You hardly hear about black people going to Durham/St Andrews/Oxbridge, because they don't tend to aspire to go there. They tend to aspire to go to the UCL/KCL/Imp/LSE/Bristol/Manc places, not 'continuation of public school' prestigious places.

Same reason so many Muzzers go to Birmingham, people tend to want to be around people of the same culture.

Other thing to consider is that many of the rich blacks who go to English public schools will go to university in America or go back home and go to university there, rather than going to Oxbridge etc.

ReputationRep:
    Agreed. Oxford havn't been racist at all. But, lets not pretend that admissions tutors can't work out some African names.

ReputationRep:
    Whilst these statistics are shocking, and Oxbridge has a lond way to go in making their admissions system fairer this article is a gross exageration. The statistics the article claims to have used are from admissions forms where the candiate themselves declares their ethnicity, all this proves is that one person was admitted who declared their origin as black-carribean. Actually there are two black students in the second year in my college alone. A lot of students with a non-white ethnic background choose not to declare it on the forms and so the results published in the guardian do not consider this.

As i said at the beginning Oxford does not reasses its admissions policy, but the level of instituional racism claimed in this article does not exist.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Krebs)
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/...black-students

"The university's admissions data confirms that only one black Briton of Caribbean descent was accepted for undergraduate study at Oxford last year"

Way to single someone out.

"I'm black and applied for Law at Oxford this year. Got 5 As at AS level, near-perfect predictions far beyond what they ask for and pretty nifty GCSE grades too. Didn't even get an interview and everyone thought there was something smelly in the water. They never told me why I wasn't good enough. I would be very worried for the future and direction of our society if this is why."- a comment
    I heard this from my dad, I didn't/couldn't believe him. Well that's going to be a wasted choice for some.

ReputationRep:
    Has usual institutional racism is revealed in it's ugly form. The "PC gone mad" brigade rear their ugly head in along with a self hating somali guy.

Somaliman you actually make me sick of being Somali.dufarr

ReputationRep:
    I don't know what I hate more, actual racists or the Guardian. It's a close call. I can't believe my dad reads that rag.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.