Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What is your IQ?.......(Official scores only) Watch

ReputationRep:
    Why have so many people taken IQ tests at school?

EDIt: I also find it funny how people find it neccessary to mention what percentile they came when the vast majority of the population have never taken an IQ test.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spazman21)
    Lol... I remember when you claimed you're IQ was 155
    Meh, didn't want to sound big headed (it is 155 btw).

Nice memory

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blu tack)
    Since when does 2 points below average constitute a 'serious problem'? :confused:
    When his score drops by about 1/3rd, there's something wrong. The reason it's worrying is because we've noticed that he does forget instructions quickly and the reason he may have achieved near-average is thanks to his normal intelligence. Had he only got average intelligence, he may have actually got 60 or 70 - indicating that something is wrong.

That particular part of the test doesn't concentrate singularly on short-term memory; however, there is an emphasis on memory and so although memory is the most significant factor, intelligence can catch up a lot of points

I hope I make sense!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tomato_Soup1992)
    EDIt: I also find it funny how people find it neccessary to mention what percentile they came when the vast majority of the population have never taken an IQ test.
    It's called an average. It's not an average of people who have taken the test, it's an average of everybody in the UK, much like surveys are usually taken...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tripleeagle)
    It's called an average. It's not an average of people who have taken the test, it's an average of everybody in the UK, much like surveys are usually taken...
    An average of everybody, most of whom haven't taken the test?

ReputationRep:
    Wow, the propensity of you 150'ers to say- "IQ tests don't mean anything........................ ..but I got 155 anyway"- is overwhelming.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KingofSpades)
    standardisation?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WhySoLimey)
    standardisation?
    = Mas/MR wtlol?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tomato_Soup1992)
    Why have so many people taken IQ tests at school?

Wow... you're knowledge of mathematics is seriously deficient. Ever heard of standardization?

Basically the point of the test is that it normalises the population. There's no need to test the whole population.

Percentiles are far more useful when comparing IQ scores, becasue different IQ's are are based on tests with different standard deviations. For example, one Mensa test had an s.d. of 24, whereas the other had 15. So, On the 15 s.d. one a score of 138 would be top 1% but on the 24 s.d. one a score of about 10/15 points higher would be the equivalent (can't be bothered to work it out).

Basically comparing the actual number score is a useless exercise, but comparing which percentile you fall into is the way to do it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bourgeois)
    No. The "retards" along with the geniuses usually test their IQ because they're told to do so.

For everybody else, I don't see any other reason why they would do a formal IQ test other than curiosity.
    Ok, well, I think that's a perfectly good reason anyway. Just saying x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KingofSpades)
    No, you take a segment of the population entirely randomly, ask them to take the test, and when you get the results, you assume they represent the nation's intelligence.

EDIT: Spelling

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IndigoRockGirl)
    Ok, well, I think that's a perfectly good reason anyway. Just saying x
    Hm? where did I say that it isn't a good reason?

ReputationRep:
    a) 117 (or was it 116)
    b) dont really trust it and it was waste of time doing it. at the end of the day its not like it defines a person.

ReputationRep:
    IQ tests aren't even proper test for intelligence. there is a lot more to intelligence than being able to solve a puzzle. i think an iq test is more for common sense than intelligence

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheBigCh)
    a) What is your IQ? (out of interest )
    Two summers ago I sat the Mensa test at express Leeds and came out with an IQ score of 163, which I'd assume has increased somewhat since then.

b) Do you accept IQ scores (in general) as good measurements of general intelligence?
    Well if I was to accept IQ scores as important, then I'd be a veritable genius, which I'm not really. So no? I think anyone with an IQ of over 120 is clever enough to maintain an intellectual conversation with though
    You assume wrong.

ReputationRep:
    a) I don't know
    b) No

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bourgeois)
    Hm? where did I say that it isn't a good reason?
    Sorry I thought tht was what you were implying x

ReputationRep:
    a) Scored 155 on one of the Mensa tests, but it wasn't fully comprehensive so they want me to take the main one.
    b) I think its a pretty good measure of measuring your Mental Agility. I think "Intelligence" covers a wider scope of what IQ tests cover, but certainly official IQ tests seem to give good indicators of this strand of Intelligence.

Evan MF

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone else been checking out the previous threads/posts of the geniuses on here with iq's of 150 and above to see how clever they are lol??? Just me then :ninjagirl:

I'm fascinated by intelligence, and people with super high intelligence.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SuperGuy)
    I'd like to put forward 2 questions to those who have taken an IQ test in controlled exam conditions, overseen by any governing body which mensa would accept as genuine enough for entry (in this case, disregarding the score of course).

i.e the real deal, no online tests, home tests etc (I'm sure someone will still make a joke concerning this regulation, I'm waiting.....)

Questions:

a) What is your IQ? (out of interest )

b) Do you accept IQ scores (in general) as good measurements of general intelligence?

Thanks.
    i had a IQ test a while ago, it was 128, i'm happy with it, but that doesn't make me want to be a particle physicist.

when i had the IQ, the headmaster at my school shoved me into the highest class for physics and maths, i like physics but i know i'm not very good at it. Everyone assumes that high IQs means you'll be brilliant at Physics and Maths. I got a B in physics for GCSE but i got high marks for art and product design with 100% and 98% respectively.

I think intelligence is not JUSR about computing mathematics equations but intelligence should be measured by creativity too

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.