ReputationRep:
      (Original post by R-KAM)
      It was immense :coma:

New sig :sexface:
      OH, HELLO :sexface:

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by HEDM22)
      Duhh, Tron is an old movie.
      This is Tron:Legacy, not Tron. It is a brand new film with new and old characters.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by M1F2R3)
      This is Tron:Legacy, not Tron. It is a brand new film with new and old characters.
      I don't care. I'm not going to see it anyway.

It's still a remake if they've resurrected an old movie franchise. It's not a proper sequel.

Duhh, Tron is an old movie.
        It's a sad day when you don't know the difference between a sequel and a remake.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Ape Gone Insane)
        It's a sad day when you don't know the difference between a sequel and a remake.
        I've already responded to this to somebody else above. Can't be bothered to explain it again. Urghh, I should never have posted here...apparently having an opinion other than 'TRON IS AMAZING' is forbidden. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
        I'm quite disappointed it's meant to be fairly good; it means I'll have to see it :p:
        My boyfriend's pretty obsessed with Daft Punk, and I'm sure the only reason he wants to see it is because they do the soundtrack. Until now, I've been able to fob him off by showing him poor reviews from critics.. but his friend went to see it the other day, and said it was good - so it seems like I'll be dragged to see it :p:
        Wouldn't be a bad thing, if I had money ):< The local cinema charges ridiculous prices.

I don't care. I'm not going to see it anyway.

It's still a remake if they've resurrected an old movie franchise. It's not a proper sequel.
          Franchise reboot is the term, not remake.

Urghh, I should never have posted here...apparently having an opinion other than 'TRON IS AMAZING' is forbidden. :rolleyes:
          My review of Tron was far from 'amazing'. And everybody is free to voice their own opinion be it positive or negative.

Equally, I'm allowed to post a response to someone who comes into a thread, tells everyone to shut up, and rates a movie having just seen the trailer. If you don't like the movie and you don't even plan on watching it, then why post ignorantly and insult people by generalising?

I'm done talking to you. :yy:

ReputationRep:
          (Original post by Ape Gone Insane)
          I'm done talking to you. :yy:
          Same.

Ape Gone Insane = OVER-DEFENSIVE TRON FAN.

ReputationRep:
          Would everyone just shut up about this movie!

I don't get all the fuss about it! It looks like one of the worst films ever, soooo boring and completely for the nerds with no real life outside of video-games. It doesn't have any real characters or storylines that you can relate to. Awful, over-hyped nonsense for spotty people who wish they could live in a virtual world. Go watch something more interesting like Hazza Potter.

Based on the trailer: not worth seeing. 2/10.
          I think an opinion by someone who thinks Hannah Montana is the most profound movie ever is not needed.

ReputationRep:
          (Original post by Linweth)
          I think an opinion by someone who thinks Hannah Montana is the most profound movie ever is not needed.
          I haven't even mentioned Hannah Montana once. You're comment isn't as funny or witty as you think it is, Missy.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
          I've already responded to this to somebody else above. Can't be bothered to explain it again. Urghh, I should never have posted here...apparently having an opinion other than 'TRON IS AMAZING' is forbidden. :rolleyes:
          i didnt like tron either but your opinion is ****ing retarded, there is a difference between a remake and a sequel. I know its late but perhaps you should invest in a dictionary this christmas.

ReputationRep:
          Would everyone just shut up about this movie!

I don't get all the fuss about it! It looks like one of the worst films ever, soooo boring and completely for the nerds with no real life outside of video-games. It doesn't have any real characters or storylines that you can relate to. Awful, over-hyped nonsense for spotty people who wish they could live in a virtual world. Go watch something more interesting like Hazza Potter.

Based on the trailer: not worth seeing. 2/10.
          I don't think i can trust your opinion on films given the frankly appalling quote in your sig.

ReputationRep:
          I loved this, soundtrack was so good!

ReputationRep:
          Review:

Tron: LegacyThe best piece of advice I could give to anybody thinking about watching Tron: Legacy is to watch the original or at least do some background reading about it, understand it’s heritage, and then make your decision as to whether you should watch the film based on that. The original is important because it was a technological pioneer in the 80s, and patched over the many cracks in it’s story with good acting and a visual feast. This sequel lives up to it’s heritage.

Tron: Legacy starts 20 years after the original, with Sam Flynn having being abandoned by his father and his company, Encom, a shadow of his dreams. Responding to a mysterious page, he gets sucked into the world of computers, reunites with his father and so starts a race to get out. The actual plot is a lot more unnecessarily complex than that, but once you realise that it’s just a framing device designed to hide the fact that the movie is just one extended chase scene, you lose interest in it. The story occasionally brushes with interesting ideas (open source, duality, that utopia is impossible) but never goes further than referencing them. This may be due to the studio wanting to keep it safe, or more worryingly the creators not being interested.

3D is not an easy technology to get right. The reason there is so much stigma attached to it is because of how many inferior examples are exploiting it to make a quick buck. There was a trailer before the film for the new Pirates of the Carribean that had some of the worst 3D I have ever seen. After that, Tron: Legacy looked even more impressive. The major strength of the technology is not the wow-effect from something popping out of the screen, but the depth which it creates for the viewer. Some scenes in Tron use this beautifully, and people in the distance really do appear much further away in space. It all creates a more immersive world, which benefits the film immeasurably as you’re being asked to focus on the environment more than anything else. The rest of the CG is flawless, from the blueprint building of a lightcycle to the far more small-scale reveal of Clu’s face. The digital de-ageing is also really impressive – it’s not perfect but seeing three Jeff Bridges in one film is a treat.

When a film pays such little attention to the substance of most films, it relies on you to be absorbed into it’s world, or swept along on the ride. Tron does both of these well, but still feels a little disappointing. There’s no epic sense to The Grid, and all of the locations seem very small. At the end of the only lightcycle scene Sam Flynn and Quorra have to escape from a stadium. Just as you start to get excited for a long, grand chase scene, they blast a hole in a wall and that’s it. I was hoping for highway chases spanning cities, but everything felt very contained. The action was still very enjoyable, but I was left wanting more.

The actors do the best they can with the script. Garrett Hedlund is functional as the lead, but lacks the charisma of Bridges from the original. Jeff Bridges, meanwhile, is clearly enjoying himself as he acts out three completely different roles – his original character in Tron, the Dude from the Big Lebowski and a sociopathic perfectionist. Olivia Wilde is pretty believable as the personification of innocence, but Michael Sheen steals the show in every scene he’s in. Looming over the film as part Peter Stringfellow, part insane circus ringleader, he bosses around Daft Punk and creeps out everyone he meets. You can’t help but wish he had a bigger part in it. It’s somewhat ironic that despite all the many cameos he’s had over the years, the best acting performance of David Bowie was done by someone else.

One aspect I deeply disliked about the film was it’s blatant franchise-building. Bringing in the character Tron for 15 minutes felt awkward and, should the film not be recommissioned for a sequel, deeply unsatisfying. It may be telling of the pressures filmmakers face these days, but I feel they should focus on getting the film right before looking to open up avenues to make money. All the abandoned projects are a testament to why this makes sense. Until I’m allowed to postdate the payment of my cinema ticket until the sequel is released, making a film that ends with only half of the story told and no guarantee that resolution will happen is deeply insulting for audiences.

Overall, if you can get to a decent cinema Tron: Legacy is worth a watch. It earns it’s place in cinematic history, like the original, by ushering in a new dawn of technology – digital de-ageing, fully realised 3D and the best CG ever made. Turn up, leave your brain at the door, and enjoy the ride. Just don't go expecting anything more.

ReputationRep:
          When to see this yesterday, first film I have seen in 3D, though it was really good. I hadn't seen the old one, but I knew the basic story, really want to see it, but thank do everywhere not having it in stock, I'm going to have to download it.

I don't see why such a fuss was made about Avatar and not this, both take you to a pretty surreal fantasy world if not much story line.

ReputationRep:
          (Original post by Maxxie)
          I loved this, soundtrack was so good!
          Definitely agree with this, not my kind of music AT ALL (nor my kind of film tbh) but some of the music was amazing, especially the bit near when all the women in white came out all robotically to change him into their "Tron"-clothes, it was like a Lady Gaga music video.....

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
        Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
        Useful resources
      • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
        Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.