Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What happened to gaming? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Also, OP.

You got older.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by drbluebox)
    So the fact cant be that older cames can be just as much if not far more fun than modern games?

Maybe its that modern gamers are deluded that newer is better.
    No. People are just biased because they grew up playing many classic games. Now people are better at and more used to gaming. There are so many exceptional classic games but there are also so many exceptional modern games. I am by no means deluded that 'newer is better'. I have a whole collection of 'classic' games that have amazed me and still amaze me now.

Yet some people keep trying to harken back to the old days of gaming thinking that back then it was some kind of golden age. The market right now is overloaded with average, generic run-of-the-mill games right now, yes. But then again, so it was in the classic era, back when developers could get away with tacking together a random game in a week. There are plenty of amazing modern games, deal with it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kerny)
    No. People are just biased because they grew up playing many classic games. Now people are better at and more used to gaming. There are so many exceptional classic games but there are also so many exceptional modern games. I am by no means deluded that 'newer is better'. I have a whole collection of 'classic' games that have amazed me and still amaze me now.

Yet some people keep trying to harken back to the old days of gaming thinking that back then it was some kind of golden age. The market right now is overloaded with average, generic run-of-the-mill games right now, yes. But then again, so it was in the classic era, back when developers could get away with tacking together a random game in a week. There are plenty of amazing modern games, deal with it.
    Deal with what? I am not saying modern games arent fun, or that modern games arent.

But I prefer the art of the storytelling of the older games, I am a massive Suikoden fan and the 1st one is ugly in terms of graphics even for its time but an amazing game with amazing plot.

I enjoy modern games like GTA and Saints Row, and do enjoy FPS like Call Of Duty but they also stress me out since they get a bit boring after a while as its the same thing over and over.

The only thing I hate about modern games is they try and "improve" each game in series and end up getting rid of what made it special in first place Sonic is a good example of that with its terrible camera angle deaths and any slip up leading to death

The reason I dislike the idea of modern games being better though is if you took an old game and updated it, it would do just as well as the new game, pretty much leading to the only reason it being worse is graphics and somewhat depth.

I just think gaming reached a peak of getting better and impressive so now its just about prettier graphics and a longer game.

ReputationRep:
    I haven't read the whole thread, since I got to the second page and got a little bored.

However, it does seem like console gaming is coming back. I used to be a PC gamer 3-4 years back and I loved playing through some of the older games (Portal, Bioshock, HL1-2, etc) and thought they really were the best games ever made, not including stuff like the N64's Goldeneye which was like a paradigm shifter back in the day.

This year I got a PS3 and got back into console gaming, and it seems like it did improve. Why? Well, no more upgrading to get the latest games because you'll be able to play them all on one console.

It does seem like this year was slow for hardcore gamers though. Arkham Asylum seemed way too short, Dragon Age seemed a little too dull when you go through for a second or third playthrough, and nothing massive really came out that grabbed my attention (apart from Brotherhood and RRR, which still isn't really "hardcore").

Seems like next year might prove differently though. Ico/SotC's rerelease, DAII, MEII, Unchartered 3, Arkham City... surely these are pretty awesome games and should be acknowledged as such? Sure, it's not the same as playing through Super Mario 64 for the first time when you're 10, but this is the best for our generation.

I say embrace what we have, before more advanced technology either makes or breaks gaming forever.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with the gaming being at its peak back then. But I also reckon that there was a lot more appeal to gaming back then. The game play is also something that is pretty important in determining the playability of a game.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Slab'o'Butter)
    Plain false - I can play Deus Ex right now, it's still as good and engaging as it was all those years ago - despite the epic story in which I know exactly whats coming in every perciveable branch - the solid and timeless gameplay remains. Same goes for Half-Life, Hitman, System Shock 2, Fallouts etc.

There is a clear distinction of class relating to "modern releases" and those from cited era.
    metal gear solid was a hardcore game, it bought back the stories from the previous titles. It was rated 100% on ign,

But then again, black ops was a big let down. Treyarch always mess it up. Like you said "mass market".

ReputationRep:
    A lot of the games back then are still playable today e.g. Magic Carpet, Worms, Theme Park, Little Big Adventure, Day of the Tentacle, Sam n Max, Monkey Island and Duke Nukem etc. So good. I also think the complexity of the game can also deter potential gamers in learning how to play it.

ReputationRep:
    i'm with those who agree with the games being best around 10 years ago, back in the nintendo64 era.
    i got into gaming back then because the games were all about joy.....simple joy.im able to whip out my game boy , choose one of the many games i have for them, and instantly find enjoyment.
    nowadays i feel as though the main purpose of most games being released today is to either cash in on someting (release of a movie for example),or out-awesome the competitors (better graphics,etc). also i find that many games being released today are a lot shorter (in term of storyline,as well as longetivity)- i spent years trying to finish games like dk64,zelda,banjo kazooie.....and still like playing through them as i always seem to discover something new in them.......whereas in more recent times i've been left cold by games like 'the incredibles','simpsons hit and run'..... ¬¬

I LOVED MARIO + DONKEY KONG WHEN THEY WERE MADE OF RIGHT-ANGLES ;(

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered gaming threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.