Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by purpleberry)
    Now I wish I either wasn't English or that I'd been born 9 months earlier.
    Just wish that you were American.. oh wait.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Cornerstone)

...oh well, it's not like it's any cheaper abroad.
    Oh but it is .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teveth)
    Disgusting.

Every Lib Dem MP who abstained or voted in favour should be impeached. They're nothing but rats, and that goes for ALL Lib Dem supporters who have chosen not to desert the party.
    :confused:Wrong political system, that's what they do in the States.

ReputationRep:
    The only people hurt by this are the ****wits who never end up using their degrees in later life... In which case why the **** should the public be paying for students degrees that they don't use?

As for the people who graduate with proper prospects the money will be a drop in the ocean for you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reue)
    Excellent news. With all fees covered by loans, everyone can afford to go to uni, you will just have to pay it back.

If you dont feel a degree is worth the amount you will eventually payback then dont go to uni. Why should working class people on minimum wage pay their taxes to fund your uni degree which then earns you a much better income? Uni is an investment in yourself, grow up and treat it as such.

Do these protesting students think there is an unlimited pot of money? If the government continues to fund the stupid % of costs for each student, it will mean we lose more nurses, schools, policemen, hospitals etc. Id rather we kept these vital services and have the graduates on good incomes having to pay a higher percentage of the cost of their voluntary education.
    But all the fees were covered anyway?

So you expect taxes to go down now that the state will pay less for university education (which benefits society, not just the student)?

Also, I don't think anyone thinks money is unlimited. Its just these plans will do nothing to decrease the deficit. If anything, they will increase it as the government has to loan an extra £6000 a year to students, with the prospect of most people not paying it all back. So if anything, it leaves LESS money in the treasury.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Organ)
    I remember Willets saying the case of GEP medicine is considered different to other stuff - I hope so; I would hate to see decent graduate medics priced out of medicine.

Undergraduate medicine yes. At present the NHS pays the tution fees for year five plus - I don't know if this will continue with funding changes and budget cuts.
    Ahh that's incredibly hard to take. If I was in year 13 now, I would be paying roughly £16,000. But as I'm a year 12, it could be £60,000 if I got in a top uni. Ouch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by im so academic)
    No, all universities have to charge £6000. That is the minimum as they cannot charge £5000, £4000 or whatever.

Though, if they want to go over, they must have financial schemes in place for the most disadvantaged of students.

What is your definition of the word "miniumum"?

The minimum IS £6000 - but to raise it, the university must protect poorer students.

What part of "minimum" do you not comprehend?
    Raising cap =/= raising minimum.

ReputationRep:
    Hence why the government should scrap Mickey Mouse courses and promote STEM courses.
    What about all the courses that are not "Mickey Mouse" ones (what defines that anyway?), but are not STEM subjects either?
    Subjects like politics and history (along with other arts and humanities) will see pretty much all their teaching grant taken away. How on earth is that fair?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hooj)
    Haha yes pay more and think more carefully before you go to Uni cus if you choose a mickey mouse course it's gonna take you all your life to pay the debt off!
    lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WelshBluebird)
    So you expect taxes to go down now that the state will pay less for university education (which benefits society, not just the student)?
    No, I expect cuts to other areas wont be as deep. The government needs to start saving money and this is one of the many ways they are being forced to do so.

Also, I don't think anyone thinks money is unlimited. Its just these plans will do nothing to decrease the deficit. If anything, they will increase it as the government has to loan an extra £6000 a year to students, with the prospect of most people not paying it all back. So if anything, it leaves LESS money in the treasury.
    Id rather they loaned out an extra £6000 per student a year rather then give that £6000 directly to the university.

Once again; demonstrating that ignorance of some students who are clearly unaware of how much money the government gives directly to unis to fund their education.

ReputationRep:
    Crap it's actually the very first time I wish I was a scot or welsh lol
    It's not that bad. It's ****ing terrible, but not that bad.

Actually higher education is free in most European countries, even Master's and PhDs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eloades11)
    thats just great, now i feel sorry for the medicine applicants(5 years)

i may have to join you
    It is ridiculous that a medicine degree could cost £45000 which is an absolute joke. Interestingly though, a graduate medicine degree wouldn't cost any more than £9000 as the final 3 years are funded by NHS bursary.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hana_87)
    Phew! I feel sorry for year 12's though So if a course starts in 2011 and it's a three year course, will they have to pay the higher fees 2012 and 13?
    No, which is a lucky escape. Those starting in 2011 will pay the current cap which is only affected by inflation, so it will go up a little every year but not by 200-300%.

ReputationRep:
    It is though.
    We now officially have the most expensive public universities in the entire world.
    That may be true, but at least our top uni's can and do compete with the Ivy League uni's in the states (which are much more expensive and I think private) and now the funding has been settled can go on competing successfully.

The cheaper public uni's in the rest of Western World aren't on the whole very good.

ReputationRep:
    Lets vote the government out. Let's start a student political party for the next election.

ReputationRep:
    Crap it's actually the very first time I wish I was a scot or welsh lol

Arguably it is for certain courses in continental Europe.

ReputationRep:
    Not most people. I think its 60% of people will pay more under this system than what they would right now (not sure of exact %, but it was more than 50%).
    Pretty much every single student willmpay more, arguments that claim otherwise are spin and quite ludicrous.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Law123mus)
    The coalition:
    Surely the coalition is now guaranteed to last the 5 years. No way the Lib Dems will break away now - sure one or two may disaffect but all the Lib Dems that matter (i.e - Ministers) voted for it. Vince Cable was the only Lib Dem who could realistically have bought down the coalition - he can't now.

ReputationRep:
    Yes because graduates in Media/Film are skilled. :rolleyes: (I have seen the course content - it really is appalling).

Hence why the government should scrap Mickey Mouse courses and promote STEM courses.
    You quoted the second part of what I said and repeated it to me in another form. What was the point?

And I see you didn't dispute the fact that lots of people going to uni is a bad thing.

And why exactly does scraping mickey mouse degrees mean you have to raise tuition fees?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tnetinbum)
    How many dangerous dogs do you think are seized a year? How many students do you think want to go to university next year?

Yeah it's not quite enough, is it?
    Not completely sure what you're getting at, but to answer the question it was over 1000 in London last year. Granted, that's less than the number of prospective university applicants, but I wasn't trying to draw a parallel- I was just picking out one of many cases of taxpayer money being squandered. There are plenty of sensible cuts that could be made instead hitting people who are trying to improve their lives and contribute to society.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 18, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.