Referendum against the monarchy Watch

• View Poll Results: Monarchy or republic
    Monarchy
    57.02%
    Republic
    42.98%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cybele)
    With respect, capital punishment cannot be compared to a family with a few prestigious titles. You said yourself, they're harmless, and for whatever reason the majority of people in this country support them and what they stand for. That has to be accounted for. It's ironic, but to remove the monarchy would require democracy to be suspended, since they would never be abolished by a vote.

That is why we never have votes on such things. The United Kingdom is a representative democracy not an ochlocracy.

Furthermore I'd like to see you try and get our Armed Forces to swear allegiance to a President over the Queen.
    As an ex-serviceman I can tell you that the vast majority of serving members I ahve met are wholly apathetic if not discerning of the monarchy. I can assure you that the armed forces duty to the monarch is wholly symbolic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Irishmonkey1992)
    What the...? Where the hell did you pluck that statement from!? I didn't say anything about the people who support the monarchy having a low intelligence. I simply stated that if the government didn't vote for the tutition fees to rise (as a result, significant drop in University applicants). Therefore there would be more educated people among us to come up with a cunning idea to attract tourists, instead of relying on the monarchy.
    I apologise, I read something in this which wasn't there, which was very silly of me. Forgive and forget?

ReputationRep:
    Monarchy, all the time.

Ach, so many of these threads recently. There are far more important issues to have referendums (or referenda?) on anyway, and they will never happen. God Save The Queen.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Britain is a society that is intrinsically based upon social class. Before removing the monarchy, one would have to remove this class-based system. Not ever gonna happen, nada.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    Because the royal family brought in 500 Million in tourism last year
    Oh here we go again with this fallacious nonsense :rolleyes:

Other countries are republics and have far more tourists.They come for monuments and monuments would still be here regardless of the monarchy. In fact, if we're using hypotheticals here, as you have in your 'evidence' above, if we get rid of the monarch we can open up the royal palaces and homes and any other tourist attractions for potentially larger profits.

The idea that we will lose our tourism through simply getting rid of the monarchy is absolute crap - unless of course you can somehow back that up with some objective study....oh wait, you can't :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Wow; The Sun used as a source. My, my.

But then again, anyone who doesn't agree with you simply has an "irrational fear of the monarchy" don't they :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gontak)
    Sorry but our tourism would be damaged without the Royal Family. For **** sake just look at the effect Kate Middleton has had already:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-11959566.
    I'm sorry but this is JUST UTTER NONSENSE.

As someone who actually lives in New York (and has done for half of my life), this BBC article is just fallacious nonsense.

They did a similar story when the wedding was first announced, about how everyone in the US was mad about the wedding and it was making front page news - the only papers it made the front pages on was the likes of Stars and Enquirer (i.e. our versions of Okay and Hello etc), and the source they used in the article itself, was some random women from Akansas.

Likewise in the article above, they've got some random salon and blown it way out of proportion.

I don't mind/care if people in the UK are going potty over the wedding b/c of the excitement, but it really annoys me when the British media have to justify this delirious reaction by saying, "Oh look, even the Americans are excited as us; we must mean something". No.

No one cares here - or at least, more people care about Eva Longoria breaking up with her husband, than two royals getting married.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by manchild007)
    Wow; The Sun used as a source. My, my.

But then again, anyone who doesn't agree with you simply has an "irrational fear of the monarchy" don't they :rolleyes:
    :facepalm2: Cba to trawl through links to find one that the intellectual Gods on TSR find acceptable.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tashalls)
    Alone? really? source?
    Look for it your self I posted a link from the Sun its well documented in other sources to

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pitch)
    Would you vote for monarchy or republic?Why are we paying millions every year to Charles and relatives?
    Anyone who says the Royal family do not bring massive profit to this country is either unable to research, or simply retarded.

Does anyone, really resent paying a little over 60p a year for tradition, history and heritage?!
    If they do, can I kindly suggest the door. I heard the USA is a lovely republic this time of year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    Look for it your self I posted a link from the Sun its well documented in other sources to
    Isn't that an oxymoron?

ReputationRep:
    I can't say I know in detail how beneficial the monarchy is in terms of tourism. But from what I've seen from the world wide coverage of Prince William's proposal to Kate Middleton, it does seem as if they have helped bring the spotlight back on our country.
    Whether or not it's worth it to the extent of how much we fund them through taxes, I frankly don't have a clue.

Although on a personal basis I do support the monarchy, as in my opinion it does retain a massive element of British heritage. As our society has evolved into one that needs to cater to the many cultures that now reside in our country, it would be nice to maintain that original element of 'Britishness' that has helped to define our nation for so long and given us a sense of identity.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by karateworm)
    I'm a lefty liberal, and I will always back the Monarchy. The Queen is a credit to the country, to the British people and to the throne.
    Exactly this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    Yes 'well documented' - so well documented in fact, that you can't seem to find other links :rolleyes:
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Yes 'well documented' - so well documented in fact, that you can't seem to find other links :rolleyes:
    http://media.visitbritain.com/News-R...tain-1889.aspx

http://en.mercopress.com/2010/11/17/...the-uk-economy

http://www.suprashoeshop.org/blog/archives/119.html

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standa...-join-party.do

Plus there is more.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have any links showing how much they cost the taxpayer and how much money they bring in?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cuckoo91)
    I can't say I know in detail how beneficial the monarchy is in terms of tourism. But from what I've seen from the world wide coverage of Prince William's proposal to Kate Middleton, it does seem as if they have helped bring the spotlight back on our country.
    Whether or not it's worth it to the extent of how much we fund them through taxes, I frankly don't have a clue.

Although on a personal basis I do support the monarchy, as in my opinion it does retain a massive element of British heritage. As our society has evolved into one that needs to cater to the many cultures that now reside in our country, it would be nice to maintain that original element of 'Britishness' that has helped to define our nation for so long and given us a sense of identity.
    That is true. The engagement made front page news in New York, France, Germany, Austria...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/gall...76451&index=21

Even people are copying off Kate Middleton's fashion sense and hairstyle! http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-11959566

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    Plus there is more.
    Supra Shoes Shop - AS A SOURCE! Hahahahahaha :rolleyes:

This isn't being picky, but actually quote at least one other reputable newspaper (broadsheet etc), that backs this claim.

Jesus Christ; The Sun and now the likes of Supra Shoes Shop. The whole argument that the royals bring in tons of cash, is looking even more fallacious than I first thought
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Supra Shoes Shop - AS A SOURCE! Hahahahahaha :rolleyes:

This isn't being picky, but actually quote at least one other reputable newspaper (broadsheet etc), that backs this claim.

Jesus Christ; The Sun and now the likes of Supra Shoes Shop. The whole argument that the royals bring in tons of cash, is looking even more fallacious than I first thought
    Tbh judging by your comments you woudl't care no matter what source I got so Im not even going to bother

ReputationRep:
    you have to be really uneducated to be against the monarchy

they make us a hell of a lot more money than they cost us. eg the upcoming wedding, estimated 600million economy boost, cost to tax payers 20mil

get rid of the monarchy, were also gunna lose a lot of tourists, its one of the biggest draws of the country, noone wants to come see a massive ferris wheel

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.