Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Strippers Watch

• View Poll Results: Is the profession of female stripping degrading to women, or empowering to women?
    Degrading
    70.67%
    Empowering
    29.33%

ReputationRep:
    Depends really, I think people are a lot more understanding of people's situations and their feelings. So as long as they want to do it wholeheartedly then I don't believe it is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TShadow383)
    A girl on my course dances two nights a week and makes £800 on a good week.

Frankly, if I was female and good looking I'd probably do it too :rolleyes:
    of course not, you don't know the reason behind it. Mabey she have kids or is in debt.
    Most strippers do not like there job, its degrading and humilating :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by desi-desi)
    of course not, you don't know the reason behind it. Mabey she have kids or is in debt.
    Actually no, we've talked about it, she just wants a way to fund her uni education and have a half-decent lifestyle that doesn't involve working to an extent which will harm her studies and won't put her in debt.

Hey, I found working in my local supermarket degrading and humiliating. If I can choose between a **** job that pays £5 an hour and a **** job that pays £100 an hour I know what I'd go for.

ReputationRep:
    The only people that get degraded in strip clubs are men - those places are an absolute rip off, yet some guys will go again and again, just to get all frustrated!

ReputationRep:

Have you spoken to 'most strippers'?

And wtf is up with your signature?! You've probably killed several epileptics with that!

ReputationRep:
    As a man, I think it is degrading to women. Perhaps not on an individual level: (some) strippers may not mind their job. I find it quite sad to see more and more girls believing that objectifying themselves gives them power.

The prevalence of female strippers is just one way in which our society tolerates and even encourages the objectification of women. This reflects unequal distribution of power between the sexes: we are told that men and women are equal. We're not, the fact that we're having this discussion is proof of that. Another example would be the way that men who sleep around are glorified whilst women who do the same are vilified, not only by men, but also by other women.

It's true that some strippers (and other women) do feel empowered, having all these men drooling over them makes them feel wanted and desired. On a wider level however, it's only a reflection of the superiority of men and the degradation of women in society: these women are empowered in terms of sex, but in turn are seen only in those terms.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by darkxangel)
    hmm, i'm pretty sure that footballers like getting grabbed, i mean which guy wouldn't (assuming they are male) and i never said that being a trash collector wasn't degrading (i have nothing against them, i mean someone's gotta do it), however i think that most people would look down on strippers more so than trash collectors (well i don't look down upon someone based on their career, but others certainly do).
    Thats the kinda of sexist asumptions I hate in society. No one likes being grabed or touched but someone they dont like or someone they find physically unapealing. Guys aren't sex hungry animals who want to but their member in anything, and girls do like being grabbed sometimes...

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't say I regard strippers as being empowered. It seems to be an option which is akin to 'last resort' or makes the best of few/poor choices available.

Perhaps there are some small number of strippers who feel empowered, but I suspect this is mixed with feelings of growing mistrust towards men and low self esteem, which grow the longer one works as a stripper.

I would imagine there are various reasons for deciding to become a stripper and most scenarios I can think of include something of the following:

- Single mother needs to look after children. If she takes a minimum wage job eg waitress/shop she can't earn enough to look after her child and won't be home enough to look after the child, so the shorter hours and better pay means the mother can support and look after the child

- Similarly for students who have many hours of uni work to do and also need to support themselves financially

A friend of a friend was a law graduate who worked as a stripper because it paid better than being a trainee.

Some people want to give it a go whilst they're still young and attractive and can do it.

It is somewhat degrading and I'd be rather ashamed if any of my family did it, but there are other jobs out there which are either degrading or pretty horrible:

- Nursing/healthcare assistant. Wiping **** from the bottoms of confused old people who shout at you and try to hit you
    - Toilet cleaner
    - Supermarket shelf stacker
    - Armed forces. Serious injury or death

I am not convinced that stripping is 'safe' as people suggest. It would not surprise me if some girls are attacked or stalked. Also, from what I have heard, the girls have to pay some £85 + to the club per shift so have to work hard/get sleazy with the men to make up the cover cost. I don't think it's as easy as it sounds.

Getting naked with a roomful of strange men? Yeah, that's pretty degrading.

So is wiping arses.

I don't think it's 'easy money' as people think. It's degrading, tough, hard work, damaging and means you have to put on a front to the customers and to your friends/family.

It's a job. Depends how you feel about it. Would the degradation of being a stripper be worse than that of a healthcare assistant, considering the pay?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tashalls)
    Thats the kinda of sexist asumptions I hate in society. No one likes being grabed or touched but someone they dont like or someone they find physically unapealing. Guys aren't sex hungry animals who want to but their member in anything, and girls do like being grabbed sometimes...
    Firstly, I was just making a generalisation, i am fully aware that this is not always the case, but the thing you hardly ever hear males complaining about being grabbed at. Secondly, if you all of my posts you would see that i acknowledged that some girls do like being grabbed/groped or whatever. :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by victorovich1990)
    As a man, I think it is degrading to women. Perhaps not on an individual level: (some) strippers may not mind their job. I find it quite sad to see more and more girls believing that objectifying themselves gives them power.

The prevalence of female strippers is just one way in which our society tolerates and even encourages the objectification of women. This reflects unequal distribution of power between the sexes: we are told that men and women are equal. We're not, the fact that we're having this discussion is proof of that. Another example would be the way that men who sleep around are glorified whilst women who do the same are vilified, not only by men, but also by other women.

It's true that some strippers (and other women) do feel empowered, having all these men drooling over them makes them feel wanted and desired. On a wider level however, it's only a reflection of the superiority of men and the degradation of women in society: these women are empowered in terms of sex, but in turn are seen only in those terms.
    Surely if these(and women in general) had such a problem with their "objectification" in society they would say something about it? They are the ones making the decision to ultimately "objectify" themselves, the power is in their hands.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ToManyThoughts.)

I also see the "girls" themselves as iresponsible and imoral, due to the arguments in a domestic relationship caused by visiting strip clubs. What moralistic women would openly want to be the reason for the deconstruction of the domestic lives of other people? The majority of these women have young children, they'are unfit mothers if they think that's an appropriate way to spend a life.
    I think it's degrading, but I wouldn't judge the strippers as amoral. I disagree that visiting strip clubs causes relationships to break up. I'm sure most women would rather their bf\husband did not visit strip clubs, but that is not a usual reason for break up. Sleeping with another woman or cheating on the GF are worse.

One could argue that some men can visit strip clubs for kicks and so don't go on to cheat on their wives.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it's degrading or empowering, it's an easy source of income. The women involved are not defined by their job.

If I could get paid that much for that sort of work and was short of a job/something to do, I would do, but then I'm fugly and male :P

As for showing off their bodies, it's just some flesh, and not a big deal.
    Males want to see female flesh, and females have it. Money changes hands, and everyone is happy.

I can understand why people get upset about the sex industry and related issues in general though.
    The closest I've ever experienced to it (in the receiving money/goods sense) were frankly a bit awkward and I'm still unsure whether they were a good idea.
    I'm not opposed to the idea on a personal level though.

I've no interest in going to a strip club though (that said, my partner and I once tried to go into a club with male pole dancers, but that's an exception :P)

ReputationRep:
    Anyone who justfies stripping as a career is talking absolute *******s. How is being meretricious empowering?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CookieDoughLove)
    We analysed this topic in media once. I believe the conclusion was that the women are in control, considering they are the ones who decides what's allowed, and are getting the money. So the men are in the subordinate position.

I could definitely agree to this. It must be empowering for a woman to know that a man desperately wants to touch her but isn't allowed.

But how many people who work in this industry are doing it because they enjoy it and not because they need the money? I suspect it's a small minority.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by No Future)
    I wouldn't say I regard strippers as being empowered. It seems to be an option which is akin to 'last resort' or makes the best of few/poor choices available.

Perhaps there are some small number of strippers who feel empowered, but I suspect this is mixed with feelings of growing mistrust towards men and low self esteem, which grow the longer one works as a stripper.

I would imagine there are various reasons for deciding to become a stripper and most scenarios I can think of include something of the following:

- Single mother needs to look after children. If she takes a minimum wage job eg waitress/shop she can't earn enough to look after her child and won't be home enough to look after the child, so the shorter hours and better pay means the mother can support and look after the child

- Similarly for students who have many hours of uni work to do and also need to support themselves financially

A friend of a friend was a law graduate who worked as a stripper because it paid better than being a trainee.

Some people want to give it a go whilst they're still young and attractive and can do it.

It is somewhat degrading and I'd be rather ashamed if any of my family did it, but there are other jobs out there which are either degrading or pretty horrible:

- Nursing/healthcare assistant. Wiping **** from the bottoms of confused old people who shout at you and try to hit you
    - Toilet cleaner
    - Supermarket shelf stacker
    - Armed forces. Serious injury or death

I am not convinced that stripping is 'safe' as people suggest. It would not surprise me if some girls are attacked or stalked. Also, from what I have heard, the girls have to pay some £85 + to the club per shift so have to work hard/get sleazy with the men to make up the cover cost. I don't think it's as easy as it sounds.

Getting naked with a roomful of strange men? Yeah, that's pretty degrading.

So is wiping arses.

I don't think it's 'easy money' as people think. It's degrading, tough, hard work, damaging and means you have to put on a front to the customers and to your friends/family.

It's a job. Depends how you feel about it. Would the degradation of being a stripper be worse than that of a healthcare assistant, considering the pay?

Sorry, this is a bit off topic, but you think the armed forces are degrading? Dangerous, yes, but I wouldn't say it's degrading. People who go into the armed forces may do so out of lack of any better job prospects, but talk to any body who has been in and the majority will tell you it was the best time of their life.

I'm talking about real units by the way, not random squaddies that are about 20 and barely out of basic training.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JohnC2211)
    Sorry, this is a bit off topic, but you think the armed forces are degrading? Dangerous, yes, but I wouldn't say it's degrading. People who go into the armed forces may do so out of lack of any better job prospects, but talk to any body who has been in and the majority will tell you it was the best time of their life.

I'm talking about real units by the way, not random squaddies that are about 20 and barely out of basic training.
    I do not think working in the armed forces is degrading. It can be dangerous. I mentioned it because it was a job with a major negative aspect.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by No Future)
    I think it's degrading, but I wouldn't judge the strippers as amoral. I disagree that visiting strip clubs causes relationships to break up. I'm sure most women would rather their bf\husband did not visit strip clubs, but that is not a usual reason for break up. Sleeping with another woman or cheating on the GF are worse.

One could argue that some men can visit strip clubs for kicks and so don't go on to cheat on their wives.
    I see your point with the men getting "kicks" to evade the chance of them cheating. I guess I'm a bit "old school" and just relate it to myself and my boyfriend. If he were to visit a strip club on a regular basis I'd question how he sees women and his respect for me.

ReputationRep:
    I think it depends on the situation. High-end burlesque can be considered more of an art form, but a girl in a seedy bar taking her top off and having some drunkard grope her is pretty demeaning.

ReputationRep:
    Are there any strippers on tsr?

ReputationRep:
    I'm quite suprised that so many people here think that stripping is demeaning or degrading to women.

I know someone in their second year at uni who works as a stripper. She was trained as a dancer but because of the competition of the industry, she found herself not getting regular work, so looked at stripping as an alternative. The money was amazing (she said she made atleast £700 per week) and she was still doing the thing she loved, allbeit a different form of dancing.
    To an extent we all 'sell ourselves'; singers use their voice (and use their appearance to gain attention), models are scantily clad and are using their bodies to make money, so why is it any different, and morally questionable that someone dances, without clothes on for a living? The human body is deemed by some as an art form; something to appreciate, lust and desire, so why not make the most of this and be paid?

I myself have never been to a strip club but my friend said that there are clear boundaries there. No one is allowed to grope, act innapropriatly with the girls and there is security there at all times to protect them. Of course there are seedy strip clubs and, many examples of when girls are forced into stripping because of drug abuse but at the end of the day, I don't believe that stripping is bad, and for the amount of money it pays, i'm not suprised that so many go into the industry.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 23, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.