Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What's your reason for living? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    It's impossible to understand life and it's meaning.
    Science just hasn't worked it out yet, or moreover we haven't.
    But maybe we will?
    I find it unbelievable that life is real, that everything on this planet and outside of it exsist.
    Just because, well it does.
    So there must be a reason.
    Me personally..
    I guess to enjoy it,
    hopefully one day i'll understand why i'm here.

ReputationRep:
    I haven't got one. I am not depressed but if I knew I was going to die soon I wouldn't be overly concerned, I would just let everyone know that I had a good 20 years of life. I haven't got a reason for dying and I haven't got one for living so I just continue the way I am.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tinshed)
    I haven't got one. I am not depressed but if I knew I was going to die soon I wouldn't be overly concerned, I would just let everyone know that I had a good 20 years of life. I haven't got a reason for dying and I haven't got one for living so I just continue the way I am.
    You are obviously in a dying state. Have a good day
    Negging will not help you to find a reason for living. And reasons for dying are based on reasons for living so let us put the video of your jumping off a building in youtube.
    Have a good rest in peace!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 4994mm)
    It's impossible to understand life and it's meaning.
    Science just hasn't worked it out yet, or moreover we haven't.
    But maybe we will?
    I find it unbelievable that life is real, that everything on this planet and outside of it exsist.
    Just because, well it does.
    So there must be a reason.
    Me personally..
    I guess to enjoy it,
    hopefully one day i'll understand why i'm here.
    The meaning of life is posting in TSR.

ReputationRep:
    SoulfulBoy, after reading your thread I have come to the conclusion that you actually want other people to die and are encouraging them to take their own lives (without much success). Why is this? Your state of mind is rather worrying.

Either that or you are a troll.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SoulfulBoy)
    Okay, let's say you start a family and get the job of your life...20 years later you are bored and your reason of living died. Then and as another reason for living is a quite deed [quiet death?], you will follow it (your dream's death) too.
    I don't think you understood my post.

I admit there isn't a reason for living (I'm a rational atheist and moral relativist) but I don't think that's a reason to commit suicide. I don't think you need a reason for living. I just get up in the morning and do things because it produces a reaction in my brain called happiness.

If my reason for living was to die then yes obviously I would be happy to die. But thats an obvious and pointless tautology. I presume I will always be happy enough to want to live - for instance I'd prefer a life prison sentence to premature death.

Having fun does not equal happiness, my friend.
    That's how I would define happiness. How would you define it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kiss_me_now9)
    I don't have one. And yes. I think it every morning.

Yay for depression :woo:
    Cheer up love

ReputationRep:
    Seriously, you people need a reason to live? Fuuuuccck, my life at the moment is so exciting and interesting, ive met so many people and had so many new experiences that I dont need a reason to live, living itself is enough.

If things at home are going badly then buy a plane ticket somewhere else and go travelling. It doesnt need to be expensive, it doesnt need to be scary and it'll open your eyes to a whole new world...

ReputationRep:
    I cannot tell you because it's a taboo and TSR censor it.
    Is it by any chance eating marmite chicken in bed?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by halfoflessthan50p)
    I don't think you understood my post.

I admit there isn't a reason for living (I'm a rational atheist and moral relativist) but I don't think that's a reason to commit suicide. I don't think you need a reason for living. I just get up in the morning and do things because it produces a reaction in my brain called happiness.

If my reason for living was to die then yes obviously I would be happy to die. But thats an obvious and pointless tautology. I presume I will always be happy enough to want to live - for instance I'd prefer a life prison sentence to premature death.

That's how I would define happiness. How would you define it?
    Your definition of happiness is pretty hedonistic.

ReputationRep:
    To become a success and leave/give something to the world for which I'll be remembered, a contribution to society of some sort.

Basically, to leave a legacy.

ReputationRep:
    Apart from studies,job, family anything else wich is not you... what's YOUR reason for living? Why do you keep waking up everyday? If death was smooth and painless would you accept suicide?
    You only get one chance. I want to use this one chance to the full and do as much as possible.

ReputationRep:
    Im trying to find a reason. Depression makes life so bleak

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    Your definition of happiness is pretty hedonistic.
    Yes it is. Nothing wrong with that. Hedonism doesn't necessarily imply selfishness of short sightedness.

I studied hard at school/uni, I take good care of my friends and family, I do voluntary work for a charity every week - simply because it makes me feel happy.

You didn't answer my question.

ReputationRep:
    you seem to be implying that if you don't have a really good reason not to you should kill your self.
    but most people its unless you have a really good reason not to you should live. and that's why all of these people you are telling there reasons aren't really any good and other things like that are still alive

ReputationRep:
    You don't need to be alive to worship God.
    can you worship God when you are dead:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Apart from studies,job, family anything else wich is not you... what's YOUR reason for living? Why do you keep waking up everyday? If death was smooth and painless would you accept suicide?
    I was just born living and cba to change.

I never said that life has a purpose but people gives his life one. So I asked what's your reason for living? If you don't have one, there is no point for you to exist (except for finding a ***** and getting her pregnant). Disappear!
      Reminds me of the Matrix. "Everything has a purpose"

I think it is a human flaw of defining everything in the world around them in the way that they see the world. Since, things appear to have a purpose ... that must everything must have a purpose ... maybe it is God who is gonna tell me what it is ... :dontknow: ...

(Original post by kiss_me_now9)
        I don't have one. And yes. I think it every morning.

Yay for depression :woo:
        Yeah .. I don't think humans can really reach real happiness :sad: ... ergo, we spend most of the time with depression as our life-partner ...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
      Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
      Useful resources
      AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
      Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.