Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I got revenge today ... and it feels great. Is that bad? Watch

ReputationRep:
    if you see that as revenge then the fact that you aren't being bullied right now beats me.

ReputationRep:
    Haha nice one!

It would have been even better if when she's on 1990th penny you take out a £20 note and give that instead :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prudy)
    As it happens, the shop has no obligation to accept that amount, and indeed there is a maximum usable as legal tender (20p). Extra 'win'?
    Further more, it's worth remembering that even if you do turn up with legal tender, they aren't obliged to accept it, they can simply refuse to contract with you thanks to a little thing called freedom of contract.

ReputationRep:
    genius

ReputationRep:
    As an act alone.. Meh
    The fact that you thought of a way to get revenge and came up with this act.. WIN.

Even if it wasn't too violent/embarrassing for the 'victim', the fact that you thought of doing this to the person is the most successful insult imaginable.

10pts awarded to you.

If you're still hungry for revenge, make it longterm. Pay for everything you buy from this shop(on the victims shift) with pennies.

Or do it paisley style and just stab her tbh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MickJB1989)
    Further more, it's worth remembering that even if you do turn up with legal tender, they aren't obliged to accept it, they can simply refuse to contract with you thanks to a little thing called freedom of contract.
    The OP could go to the local newspaper and say "x supermarket didn't serve me. I paid with pennies. Someone else paid with pennies, and they were served. Im being discriminated because Im a student" yada yada yada, which would make the supermarket look really bad.

Its really not that hard to bull*** to newspapers and still be telling the truth(with a bit of opinion)

Do agree with the £20 comment. Imagine their face when they were on their 19,990th coin and you bring out a £20 coin, or decide to pay by card instead(which would mean the would have to count out 20000 coins again, so that you can pay by card)

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone ever tried to pay for something in England with a bank of Scotland note?
    The till operator looks at you as if you are trying pay with human limbs.

ReputationRep:
    Subways didnt

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DJkG.1)
    Actually, as a matter of law, the money you were proposing to pay with was not legal tender - so the manager had a right to refuse you.
    It's also important to note that the manager didn't have to serve her even if it was legal tender.

It's been a while since I read a law book, but I'm pretty sure that while the item was on the shelf, it was only an invitation to treat, not an offer by the shop.

But OP..... your revenge was making a person count to 2000? Whatever floats your boat I suppose. But i'll jump on the bandwagon and give you +rep

ReputationRep:
    i love this you never became a bully yourself just got to make yourself feel good which i think you deserve.

id do the same only im not creative enough

any ideas

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Something_Ironic)
    Has anyone ever tried to pay for something in England with a bank of Scotland note?
    yea i was in england last week with bank of ireland notes and the guy at a shop looked at it for five minutes and then said we cant accept foreign currency, i told him it was still sterling and it had to be accepted and he went to get the manager to find out the exchange rate.

total dumbass

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by phill232)
    yea i was in england last week with bank of ireland notes and the guy at a shop looked at it for five minutes and then said we cant accept foreign currency, i told him it was still sterling and it had to be accepted and he went to get the manager to find out the exchange rate.

total dumbass
    Yeah thats exactly what happens with me. Theres the 5minute stare. Then the manager is called. Manager has a 5minute stare. Then it is accepted(sometimes).
    It's quite insulting actually. It's as if Scottish money isn't good enough

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I was bullied a lot in school. A few days ago, I found out that my worst bully was working the tills during specific known hours at the local supermarket ... so I decided to pay her a visit.

There was something I wanted to buy anyway for £20, so I decided to find it in the smallest change I had and buy it there from this girl. As luck would have it, I had two thousand pennies* ... so I gathered them up, went and got this item, went to her till and presented my bag of two thousand pennies.

She called her manager over and, in the conversation that followed, I said, "So let me get this straight for when I tell the papers - you're going to refuse to accept legal tender?" In the end, the manager just told this girl to count them, and it felt great watching her count all two thousand of them.

Am I mental? Who the hell collects and counts two thousand pennies, then carries them around (they're quite heavy) and then gets such satisfaction from watching someone else have to count them out to make sure there are indeed two thousand of them?

Is it bad that I felt so vindicated after this incident?

* Well, I didn't have all two thousand ... but various friends and family contributed, and I paid them in large coins, so they were happy.
    I believe coppers are only legal tender up to like a pound or something - MSN News told me so once - so they could have refused you :p:

ReputationRep:
    It's probably already been stated a bazillion times, but there is a limit on the number of small-denomination coins which are legal tender (about 20-30p I think)

So nice bluff, well done.

Also,

Yeah thats exactly what happens with me. Theres the 5minute stare. Then the manager is called. Manager has a 5minute stare. Then it is accepted(sometimes).
    It's quite insulting actually. It's as if Scottish money isn't good enough
    I wouldn't get insulted, as Scottish money technically isn't legal tender in England (and vice-versa)

(Original post by Wikipedia)
    Scottish and Northern Irish bank notes are issued by retail banks rather than a national central bank, and as such are technically promissory notes rather than legal tender. Furthermore, Bank of England notes are legal tender only within England and Wales and therefore also have the legal status of promissory notes in Scotland and Northern Ireland. However, general agreement between banks within the United Kingdom is to treat all notes as legal tender.

ReputationRep:
    Well you counted the pennies too right. all 2000 of them.
    You must have looked pretty stupid too.

(Original post by Anonymous)
      I was bullied a lot in school. A few days ago, I found out that my worst bully was working the tills during specific known hours at the local supermarket ... so I decided to pay her a visit.

There was something I wanted to buy anyway for £20, so I decided to find it in the smallest change I had and buy it there from this girl. As luck would have it, I had two thousand pennies* ... so I gathered them up, went and got this item, went to her till and presented my bag of two thousand pennies.

She called her manager over and, in the conversation that followed, I said, "So let me get this straight for when I tell the papers - you're going to refuse to accept legal tender?" In the end, the manager just told this girl to count them, and it felt great watching her count all two thousand of them.

Am I mental? Who the hell collects and counts two thousand pennies, then carries them around (they're quite heavy) and then gets such satisfaction from watching someone else have to count them out to make sure there are indeed two thousand of them?

Is it bad that I felt so vindicated after this incident?

* Well, I didn't have all two thousand ... but various friends and family contributed, and I paid them in large coins, so they were happy.
      The funny thing here is she would have been vindicated if she refused to serve you.
      Because no, 2000 pennies is not legal tender for a twenty pound item.

She probably hasn't thought about you once, and you are so focused that you took time thinking this up, setting it up and then doing it. Then gloating over the fact.

Move on.

I got bullied by a guy in school once. I ran over his dog with my car and watched as he held it in his arms until it died. He stopped bullying me after that, and started welling up everytime I smiled at him.

Bullies are soft inside.

I know. Worse is recentish when they intoduced new £20 scottish notes. I ended up bringing some back down sarf and couldn't bloody get rid of them.

ReputationRep:
        I wasn't bullied, but there was this guy in my college(now left), who was really a racist t**t. I bought some coffee from the vending machines-The machine charged 40p for the cup. He was blowing the froth on me, and winding me up at the same time. I was intending to spill a little bit of coffee on him, but I accidentally flung most of it on his coat that could only be dry cleaned. Got a bit of an audience afterwards though!

The guy was a real nutcase though-strangling someone in a classroom of about 20 people

ReputationRep:
        Bravo Bravo

...Not!

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 13, 2010
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
      What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
      Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.