(Original post by Omg!Rly?)
    Didn't know LONDON was capital of BRITAIN
    Guess you've learnt something new then.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Omg!Rly?)
    Didn't know LONDON was capital of BRITAIN
    Well you do now.

ReputationRep:
    Edinburgh due to what is has available, Some economy I can see easily adapting to there like banks since a lot of Scottish banks seem to be based in London anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Digit_Five)
    Guess you've learnt something new then.
    *High five*

ReputationRep:
    It would most likely default to Edinburgh.

ReputationRep:
    Nuneaton, Warwickshire.

ReputationRep:
    I might be a bit biased but I think Bristol's one of the nicer UK cities and fairly economically thrusting - shame it's in an area that's basically just a massive swathe of farms, old people and non-productivity. Birmingham would have to be, I guess - such an "emergency" capital would have to have a large population because it would be essential for us to keep the economy active. Legislation could easily be done from another city though and I expect that we would enter into a South African kind of set-up in the case of a massive disaster.

(They have a judicial capital, a legislative capital and an administrative capital.)

ReputationRep:
    manchester.
    absolutely not birmingham, worst place ever.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Coda)
    London is the capital city of Great Britain.
    Yeah, I get that now mate from all the neg rep I've been getting
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    Hull ftw

ReputationRep:
    Neo-London blatantly.

Besides that, I imagine Edinburgh - England's capital would probably be Birmingham.

ReputationRep:
    colchester

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Converse)
    Didn't mean it in a bad way.
    Oh, sorry well I just assumed because London is so big, and obviously big population. But then I thought maybe size doesn't matter so much because Edinburgh isn't exactly big is it.

But I stuck with Birmingham regardless :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Margaret Thatcher)
    Which one would be the best contender, in terms of everything really. Don't *just* choose by size.
    Manchester or Birmingham

ReputationRep:
    Birmingham, in the hope that whoever destroyed London would destroy Birmingham and rid the world of the worst accent man has ever known.

I jest, obviously. Maybe Cardiff seeing as it has a political venue. The Capital doesn't always have to be the most famous, economically important or largest city in the country - e.g. Rio, New York and Sydney are not Capitals of their countries. The only thing that a Capital has to be is a place where politics happens.

ReputationRep:
    Gotta be Manchester or failing that, Bristol. Perhaps I'm biased though!

ReputationRep:
    I would say Sheffield, actually. It's a beautiful city, very high population, central in the UK... what more could you want?

ReputationRep:
    Just the island in the middle of that roundabout in Basildon. You know, the one with the sign. Yeah.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teveth)
    Manchester's population is small because of the city boundaries. If Birmingham's boundaries were changed overnight to only include the central part of the city, nothing will have physically changed.

In my opinion, it should either Manchester or Leeds.
    The only reason people seem to pick Manchester is because it's ''nicer''. And Leeds ahead of Birmingham? That takes the pee, can't take you seriously now.

No substance whatsoever, since even if you widen Manchester's boundaries, the population still wouldn't be as big as Birmingham's. Birmingham is 2nd city in everyway, it has greater GDP than Manchester, greater pupulation, greater size.... I don't base it on which city is nicer, but the fact of the matter.

ReputationRep:
    Leeds because it is 3rd biggest after Birmingham and has the fastest growing and best running economy outside of London!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.