Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    What I'm getting from this thread is that OP feels like girls should be throwing themselves at his feet and is pissed off that they aren't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xfactorfan)
    i know not all girls will care blah blah blah so don't tell me i'm generalising, i'm just saying 'girls' rather than 'some girls' because the latter would sound pathetic and wouldn't grab people's attention :rolleyes:
    You saying 'girls' to get attention instead of saying 'some girls' is EXACTLY the same principle as me whacking on a bit of lippy. Got people looking didn't it, eh?

99.9% of girls i see are clearly wearing some form of makeup, even if its just during the day. i know lots of girls who need to wear it just to go shopping or something stupid. seriously, what have you got to hide? :rolleyes: are you insecure because you know you're actually ugly and without makeup, you won't get eyed up by guys to fuel your incessent need for attention? :rolleyes:
    It's not about 'hiding' anything m'dear, it's accentuating your features. Why do people wear fitted clothes and not bin bags? Obviously wearing no make-up is not the equivalent to wearing a bin bag, but you see my point.

I don't appreciate you assuming I have an 'incessant need for attention'. A) I would probably get more attention for NOT wearing make-up, as your thread has clearly stated and B) 'just eyeliner' is unlikely to change 'the way you look' as a generalised term... all it does is make your eyes look a bit bigger, nothing to write home about...

i know i'm going to get girls now who say 'well i dont wear makeup in the day'. i'm sorry but don't deny that you do. even if its just eyeliner. like i say, 99.9% of girls i see are clearly wearing makeup, even if its just eyeliner.
    A lot of girls don't wear make-up actually. You've obviously only been looking at the ones who do :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dumdedoobie)
    Bit of an exaggeration all round? I do wear some makeup, yes. Makeup doesn't define me though, so it wouldn't kill me without it. If I had to go without it, I could. I just prefer how I look with it.
    What, fake?!

ReputationRep:
    I wear make-up, but I don't wear it to get attention from guys or whatever other stuffyou came out with. I purely wear it some days because I prefer myself with it, other days I won't wear any like to school, because whats the point? There is no-one to "impress" at school with a bit of foundation. You may have generalised some girls who do wear lots to get attention from guys to feel better about themselves, others just wear it because it makes them feel a little bit more confident. Other people wear it purely for fun, some people find it fun to apply makeup and reinvent themselves a little, and what's wrong with looking different once in a while? Thats like saying people can't straighten their hair or curl it, because it's not the way it falls and dries after it's just been washed?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CharlieBee_90)
    You can't say 'I don't mean all girls' and then say 'don't deny that you wear make up' that kind of defeats the point.

Anyway why is it that whenever I see a thread ****ging off women it's always you or Jimbo? If you don't like us, there's always men...
    This this this.

What's the betting they're both self-hating homosexuals?

ReputationRep:
    OP believe it or not. girls don't wear make-up for attention, they wear it because they're insecure about their appearance, that's the truth. It's all to do with the media......

Note to girls - Makeup is to enhance beauty, not create it....

ReputationRep:
    Meh, i like girls natural, lets you see their natural beauty, in a way i'd prefer girls to always be as confident as they are with make up and thus not have to wear it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArcaneAnna)
    Yes confidence is of most importance. But, for example, I don't wear make up and do my hair for other people. I do it for myself. I like to look after myself.

Would you wear worn, torn and dirty underwear? No. But why not?.. if no-one sees it? Because you do it for yourself.

Do you brush your teeth just so other people don't cringe at you? I'm sure the anwsers no, and that you do it for your own health.

I never take my socks off, because I have **** circulation and my feet are always freezing BUT I still NEVER miss a single pedicure, even if no-one sees my toes.
    That's personal hygeine, that's not what I was talking about. Personally, I would never have pedicures because I hate people touching my feet even if I was that kind of girl. I never take my socks off either becuase I have Raynaud's phenomenon and I value my toes - but that doesn't mean I don't wear clean socks each day, wash my feet, trim my toenails etc. OP was talking about adding to yourself, and that's what my reply was about. I don't enhance how I look because it's fine for me but that doesn't mean I'll let my hygeine go to pot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .Ali.)
    Men also look better with makeup. You mentioned female celebrities wearing it, male actors and singers do too when they're on stage. Their pictures are also airbrushed. Yes, it is to do with norms. People see these pictures of women AND men in magazines, and assume that's how they 'should' look. We're so used to it, we don't think twice about it. I'm not denying people look better with makeup, if they wear it right, I think they do. But neither gender is naturally more beautiful than the other.
    Sure, some CELEBRITY men wear makeup, for example in films and on tv in front of the cameras. This is more for functional needs, for example under lighting in a tv studio makeup is necessary to give the right skin complexion etc. I didn't just make this up....look up the facts and you'll see that all tv presenters, actors etc wear makeup in tv studios.

Also, a lot of male celebrities want to keep themselves looking as young as possible, hence makeup can help with this. I'm not sure how many male celebs actually do wear makeup, and nor do you, but I think we can safely say ALL women celebs wear makeup, that's a given.

But men in everyday life? Very few men in everyday life wear makeup. Whereas almost all women in everyday life do. This is because men, for the most part, don't NEED to wear makeup in everyday life, whereas women do.

(Original post by .Ali.)
    Think of it this way: Go waaaaaaaaaaay back, millions of years. It was okay to walk around naked. It was socially the norm, no one thought it was weird.

Nowadays, if we walk around naked, we get arrested for indecent exposure. We don't think twice about wearing clothes.

Not exactly the same, but it's an example of how social aspects influence what we think is 'normal'.
    Sure, it is 'the norm' for women to wear makeup. But the fact still remains....very few women are (naturally) good looking without makeup, hence they NEED to wear it.

(Original post by .Ali.)
    Not really, I know some extremely ugly men out there. I actually have a hard time finding boys who I think are good looking lol, but I can think of plenty of attractive girls (and I'm straight).
    See next point....

(Original post by .Ali.)
    Also, confidence plays a part here. An average looking boy who is confident can be very attractive. An extremely physically attractive boy with no confidence will not be as attractive.
    I agree with this. This is basically what I said before. Good looks in a guy can only take him so far. Good looks might get a girl's attention INITIALLY, but if that same guy lacks confidence, he will be history when the girl gets to know him and figures him out.

This is why I stand by my point that an ugly or average looking guy with boatloads of confidence and an interesting personality will do much better with women than a good looking guy with no confidence and a dull personality.

(Original post by .Ali.)
    Some girls may not feel confident without their makeup, thus they don't look as attractive because they don't act as attractive.
    Nothing wrong with making yourself look better if it makes you feel better about yourself.

(Original post by .Ali.)
    It's to do with grooming, makeup is a part of that. Yes, but I was merely saying that men aren't these super-human Gods you seem to think they are.
    'Men are super-human Gods'? Where did I say that? You're putting words in my mouth now, Ali. I'm all for having a philosophical discussion, but when people start inventing things I didn't actually say then I find it hard to take them seriously.

What I actually said was 'men are naturally better looking than women'. And I stand by that.

(Original post by .Ali.)
    LOL untrue. Sorry if this makes me shallow, but I have to be sexually attracted to a guy to want to date him. Personality is very important, yes, but there has to be some form of attraction there.
    I stand by point that looks in a guy are not as important as looks in a woman. History is rife with examples of men who were not good looking at all, but who did massively well with women. For example:-

Casanova said this about himself: 'I was not handsome, but I had something better than beauty...a striking way of expressing myself, which always compelled interest in my favour'. Considering his first sexual encounter was a threesome with 2 nuns, I would say he had a very compelling way of expressing himself!

Jean Paul Sartre, the great philosopher and even greater ladies man was notoriously beastly ugly, yet women fell at his feet. He was 4ft 9 tall (or short?) and cross eyed (Google him), yet it is written that women fell for him because 'he knew how to explain their soul to them'.

Voltaire (another philosopher from the past who did amazingly well with women) said: 'Give me 5 minutes to explain away my ugly face and I can bed the Queen of France'.

There are countless other examples.

Yet...there are few (if any?) examples of ugly looking women who did massively well with men. This proves the point that a woman's looks are more important than a man's looks. You see ugly/average looking men with hot women all the time in everyday life, but rarely the other round, i.e. ugly women with decent looking men.

The weakness of women is language and words...women fall in love through their ears, men are attracted initially to women through their eyes.

You said it yourself above: An average looking boy who is confident can be very attractive. An extremely physically attractive boy with no confidence will not be as attractive.

Bottom line: attraction is more than merely looks. You know full well you'd wouldn't date a good looking guy who had no confidence (no girl would for more than a very short space of time), and you know full well you'd choose an average or even ugly guy with confidence over the 'good looking but no confidence' guy.

(Original post by .Ali.)
    Also, I wouldn't date someone who didn't take care of his appearance, so yeah, guys need to too.
    I never said a man shouldn't take care of his appearance. I never said you don't have to be sexually attracted to a guy. These things are basic common sense.

What I said was being average or even ugly looking for a man isn't necessarily a disadvantage as long as he's got confidence and personality.

Of course, if a guy has got one tooth in his mouth and looks like a tramp, then he is going to have trouble attracting women, but that is an extreme example.

(Original post by .Ali.)
    Yeah I agree with that...but the same can be said for women too. I know plenty of girls that aren't typically 'beautiful', but have something about them that makes them striking, and the way they act and how they hold themselves makes them attractive. Attractiveness is about the whole package (no pun intended) not just the face.
    The fact is, a girl who is 'not typically beautiful' will always have a harder time attracting men than a guy who is 'not typically handsome' will at attracting women.

This is simply the way the world works. Men initially are attracted to a woman because of her looks. Personality can then grow on a man once he gets to know a woman. So a 'not typically beautiful' woman will have to work harder than a 'typically beautiful' woman to get a guy's initial attention. He may get to know her and find out she has a wonderful personality and is a wonderful person and end up falling for her, but in the beginning a good looking woman will always have the upper hand over 'not typically beautiful' women.

(Original post by .Ali.)
    It depends, I've seen it work for ugly men and ugly women, and fail for both. Also, who are we to say what is ugly and what is attractive? What attracts one individual may repulse someone else.
    'Ugly' is a term used to describe someone's physical looks. This is very subjective anyway since beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

'Attractive' is about the person as a whole.

This is why I state that women are not attracted to men who are merely good looking, but those men who are ATTRACTIVE.

(Original post by .Ali.)
    I've never denied women look better without makeup, but men aren't anymore naturally beautiful than women.
    I beg to differ. I've been over this already, but if men weren't naturally better looking than women, how come the majority of men don't need to wear makeup in everyday life whereas the majority of women do?

ReputationRep:
    I have seen Cheryl Cole without make up... she didn't look like anything special.

Edit:
    Spoiler:
    Show

ReputationRep:
    If make-up never existed, pretty girls will be more appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Neil_K)
    I beg to differ. I've been over this already, but if men weren't naturally better looking than women, how come the majority of men don't need to wear makeup in everyday life whereas the majority of women do?

I stand by point that looks in a guy are not as important as looks in a woman. History is rife with examples of men who were not good looking at all, but who did massively well with women.

Bottom line: attraction is more than merely looks. You know full well you'd wouldn't date a good looking guy who had no confidence (no girl would for more than a very short space of time), and you know full well you'd choose an average or even ugly guy with confidence over the 'good looking but no confidence' guy.

You've contradicted yourself here and inadvertently answered your own rhetorical question.

Earlier in your post you said men simply don't need to be as good looking as women because women are attracted to men "through their ears" not their eyes. So perhaps that's why men don't wear make-up?

ReputationRep:
    here we go :rolleyes:

why do i see every girl in the morning (every white girl at least) wearing some form of makeup, yet 1 in 3 girls or whatever on TSR claim to wear no makeup?

the facts don't add up.
    Oh seriously though, now it is just white girls, is it? I know lots of girls who do not wear make-up, why would you asume every single girl wears make-up?

ReputationRep:
    So male film actors don't count either in this generalisation? They wear it too, yet OP isn't criticising them? :lolwut:

Yes, I wear hair extensions so I don't have to comb my ridiculously thick hair every morning. Excuse me for my hair type.
    Yes, I wear make up when I go out, excuse me for wanting to look nice.
    No, I don't wear make-up to school much, because I can't be bothered, call me lazy and tell me I'm nothing without it :rolleyes:

Girls wear make-up because they want to look nicer. Guy's wear makeup in movies to look nicer. People use makeup to look nice. Get over it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xx.MissEG.xX)
    Oh seriously though, now it is just white girls, is it? I know lots of girls who do not wear make-up, why would you asume every single girl wears make-up?
    no, what i'm saying is every white girl i see wears makeup and the only girls i see who aren't wearing makeup are non-whites.

(Original post by Jenii)
    ...Earlier in your post you said men simply don't need to be as good looking as women because women are attracted to men "through their ears" not their eyes. So perhaps that's why men don't wear make-up?
    Males want to find an attractive partner to breed with, hence females prep themselves up to be selected by males.

Females however, don't put as much emphasis on looks as they are looking for a provider rather than merely a breeder. In other words, if there was a very handsome and a not so handsome man, a woman would go for the not so handsome one if he was more financially stable.

ReputationRep:
    Does this include hair straightners? If it does, then yes, I'd probably fall over and die cos my hair looks so weird without me doing fancy things to it. I am very insecure so you are right

I don't wear make up all the time though. I like to wear concealer and eyeliner/mascara but I HAATEEEEE foundation. It's like painting on your face.

I think it would be quite good if this happened...there would be a bit of a shock at first, but we'd (well I'd) get over it pretty soonish.

ReputationRep:
    Sure, some CELEBRITY men wear makeup, for example in films and on tv in front of the cameras. This is more for functional needs, for example under lighting in a tv studio makeup is necessary to give the right skin complexion etc. I didn't just make this up....look up the facts and you'll see that all tv presenters, actors etc wear makeup in tv studios.

Also, a lot of male celebrities want to keep themselves looking as young as possible, hence makeup can help with this. I'm not sure how many male celebs actually do wear makeup, and nor do you, but I think we can safely say ALL women celebs wear makeup, that's a given.

But men in everyday life? Very few men in everyday life wear makeup. Whereas almost all women in everyday life do. This is because men, for the most part, don't NEED to wear makeup in everyday life, whereas women do.

Sure, it is 'the norm' for women to wear makeup. But the fact still remains....very few women are (naturally) good looking without makeup, hence they NEED to wear it.

See next point....

I agree with this. This is basically what I said before. Good looks in a guy can only take him so far. Good looks might get a girl's attention INITIALLY, but if that same guy lacks confidence, he will be history when the girl gets to know him and figures him out.

This is why I stand by my point that an ugly or average looking guy with boatloads of confidence and an interesting personality will do much better with women than a good looking guy with no confidence and a dull personality.

Nothing wrong with making yourself look better if it makes you feel better about yourself.

'Men are super-human Gods'? Where did I say that? You're putting words in my mouth now, Ali. I'm all for having a philosophical discussion, but when people start inventing things I didn't actually say then I find it hard to take them seriously.

What I actually said was 'men are naturally better looking than women'. And I stand by that.

I stand by point that looks in a guy are not as important as looks in a woman. History is rife with examples of men who were not good looking at all, but who did massively well with women. For example:-

Casanova said this about himself: 'I was not handsome, but I had something better than beauty...a striking way of expressing myself, which always compelled interest in my favour'. Considering his first sexual encounter was a threesome with 2 nuns, I would say he had a very compelling way of expressing himself!

Jean Paul Sartre, the great philosopher and even greater ladies man was notoriously beastly ugly, yet women fell at his feet. He was 4ft 9 tall (or short?) and cross eyed (Google him), yet it is written that women fell for him because 'he knew how to explain their soul to them'.

Voltaire (another philosopher from the past who did amazingly well with women) said: 'Give me 5 minutes to explain away my ugly face and I can bed the Queen of France'.

Yet...there are few (if any?) examples of ugly looking women who did massively well with men. This proves the point that a woman's looks are more important than a man's looks. You see ugly/average looking men with hot women all the time in everyday life, but rarely the other round, i.e. ugly women with decent looking men.

The weakness of women is language and words...women fall in love through their ears, men are attracted initially to women through their eyes.

You said it yourself above: An average looking boy who is confident can be very attractive. An extremely physically attractive boy with no confidence will not be as attractive.

I never said a man shouldn't take care of his appearance. I never said you don't have to be sexually attracted to a guy. These things are basic common sense.

What I said was being average or even ugly looking for a man isn't necessarily a disadvantage as long as he's got confidence and personality.

Of course, if a guy has got one tooth in his mouth and looks like a tramp, then he is going to have trouble attracting women, but that is an extreme example.

The fact is, a girl who is 'not typically beautiful' will always have a harder time attracting men than a guy who is 'not typically handsome' will at attracting women.

This is simply the way the world works. Men initially are attracted to a woman because of her looks. Personality can then grow on a man once he gets to know a woman. So a 'not typically beautiful' woman will have to work harder than a 'typically beautiful' woman to get a guy's initial attention. He may get to know her and find out she has a wonderful personality and is a wonderful person and end up falling for her, but in the beginning a good looking woman will always have the upper hand over 'not typically beautiful' women.

'Ugly' is a term used to describe someone's physical looks. This is very subjective anyway since beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

This is why I state that women are not attracted to men who are merely good looking, but those men who are ATTRACTIVE.

Men don't wear make-up because it is considered weird for men in an everyday situation to wear it, not because they look better without it. If you saw a man with a face full of make-up, you'd think wtf ? If you saw a woman it would be normal. That does not mean to say men are the more attractive gender, it means that no-one sees men with makeup therefore cannot determine whether they look better with or without it. If you are finding it hard to find many naturally beautiful girls then you are obviously looking in all the wrong places, I know so many girls who are stunning with or without make-up. Most men prefer their women natural as they can see their true beauty in all its glory. Whats the point in having the most beautiful skin in the world and then caking on layers of foundation? Or the most beautiful eyes and then overshadowing them with reams of eyeliner.

ReputationRep:

I'm not disputing that.

Or because of social aspects, norms, and other influences such as what's found attractive.

In some African communities, it's attractive to stretch your neck out. Here, that's seen as mutilation and isn't attractive. See my point?

It's not considered attractive for men to have full, pink lips, rosy cheeks, doe-y eyes. Therefore, they don't emphasize these features.

It is considered attractive (not by me, but society would have you believe every woman wants this :rolleyes:) for men to be muscular. Muscular women are seen as butch. Men are not naturally muscular, they have to work at it. Does this mean they're not naturally attractive?

That's an absolute lie. Sorry, but it is. Go photograph every females face without makeup, conduct a survey of everyone globally, and maybe then you'll have some evidence.

And that's the same for a girl. If she's hot but she has no personality, he'll get bored.

And an average looking girl with an amazing personality will do better than a hot d*ckhead.

I never said you said that, I said that's what you implied.

I
    stand by point that looks in a guy are not as important as looks in a woman. History is rife with examples of men who were not good looking at all, but who did massively well with women. For example:-

Cleopatra was meant to be ugly, she did alright.

I really disgaree with that.

As would men.

The same goes for a girl.

That is a gross generalisation and not true at all

Women are also attracted to guys because of their looks.

The same goes for women. Why can you not see that?

Covered this in the muscles and African neck stretchers thing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SamiFFXIII)
    What, fake?!
    Eh?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.