Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    :facepalm2: So what your saying is you do not understand how democracy works in this country. Ok kool:cool:
    What im saying is this democratic system we have is a relic of the past and something that future generations will consider a huge joke, much like an archeologist finding a square wheel.

It is a terrible system and the sad thing is people only look to the past saying 'OH its better than Marxism! or some other equally stupid comparision with another useless system.

Bottom line is; we need something new, something logical and something fair which is not what this current system is or what any other ancient system will ever be.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EggmanD)
    Think the question you should be asking is;

There is over 61,838,154 in the UK (2009 source)

29,691,380 voted.

So apart from over 50% of people in the nation not voting...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/election2010/results/

Conservative got 36% of the 29 mil
    Labour got 29% of the 29 mil
    Lib Dem got 23% of the 29 mil

around 10 million people decided the fate of 60 million, half of those not voting and the majority of Conservative voters living in rich rural communities or city centers in nice houses (shown by the center of London blue vs the inner city red and yellow)

But then.. what if only 1 person voted from that part of the country? what if Hampshire only had 10 voters? well that is stupid comment but you see my point..

How we elect leaders should be more than some moron taking over anothers mess, getting a year or so of TV time where they promise this and do that, keep this the same and **** over those people for abit..

IMO people dont see the choice... half the people in the country cant relate to Brown or Clegg or Cameron, you know why?

Because they are clueless, selfish, greedy and voted in by people to continue the same monotonous policies that have always screwed over people in so many ways it doesn't even make sense why our only voice is ticking a box and going on a little protest that does nothing. (which answers all your 'why do people smash things in riots questions)

Time for a new system.. this ones failing.
    You Sir, are a legend. I salute you !

This has to be the most spot on answer on TSR.

The 3 main parties do not relate to a lot of the country. As well as this, the 3 parties try and gain a majority vote by doing favours for certain groups rather than evenly spreading the help and getting everyone to do their own little bit.

Labour - always try and manipulate the system to get the lower class to vote for them

Tories - the complete opposite

Liberal Democrats - jump on whatever bandwagon is winning as shown by Clegg jumping on the Tories ship

What this country needs is a party that helps all those that work or contribute - even if its a few simple things a day such as clearing ice off the road or cleaning the streets.

Such contributions would restore pride in many jobs that so many ridicule in today's Britain, yet these jobs take place in other countries.

Those that don't want to contribute can get kicked out into another country that allows people to live their off the state.

We need policies that reward those trying to help better the economy and system - whether its a job as a cleaner or a job as a brain surgeon. They are still doing their bit.

However,

• Labours policies help those that do not do their bit
    • Tories policies when fully put in place will not help those doing their bit but will also not help some lower class families doing their bit

See where we need to find the balance in the middle.

We need a true party for the working people of Britain.

If you pay tax, you get the perks (you put in, you get out)

If you don't pay tax then you don't.

Those that then are jobless will take jobs as cleaners, take jobs as waiters/waitresses because they will want the added perks that come with having employment.

Also, their should be an automatic system in place that takes 4% of earnings for times when unemployment come around - basically, an Automatic Aid Fund.

Therefore if I earn a salary of £20,000 I have £400 put away for times of hardship. That is equivalent of almost 8 weeks on JSA. If I work for 5 years then I have saved £2000. Its basically a 'save for a rainy day' fund but rather than letting people do it, its automatically done as some, not all, people in our society are too irresponsible to manage money and save enough for hard times.

For those on less than that salary the government should have help the lower working class fund to top it up.

No one realistically should be out of work longer than 2 months unless they have a disability or something.

2 months is more than enough time to get another job, even if its not in the field you want just to see you by for the time being.

Jobs are being turned down left, right and centre at the job centre because people think that the jobs are worthless and that they are better than those jobs.

The key is making those jobs more attractive by giving people who take these jobs perks and taking perks away from those that don't work.

Basically, the economy will help you if you help the economy. That should be the main aim of any party, however as of current we have

Tories - help the rich
    Labour - help those on benefits and poor - even drug addicts and such
    Lib Dems - they don't even have a clue who they represent as the divide was evident in the House of Commons.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Llamageddon)
    It's not zero sum. There's an upper boundary, sure, but you're not necessarily going to hit it.
    When you're dealing with the lives of communities of people you cannot afford to base policy on forlorn targets, especially if you intend to preserve high standards of living for those most likely to enjoy them.

You have to be smarter than that.

Your job is to govern fairly.

If you have finite resources they should be distributed fairly. Why is this so difficult for purported human beings to comprehend?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jb9191)
    You Sir, are a legend. I salute you !

This has to be the most spot on answer on TSR.

The 3 main parties do not relate to a lot of the country. As well as this, the 3 parties try and gain a majority vote by doing favours for certain groups rather than evenly spreading the help and getting everyone to do their own little bit.

Labour - always try and manipulate the system to get the lower class to vote for them

Tories - the complete opposite

Liberal Democrats - jump on whatever bandwagon is winning as shown by Clegg jumping on the Tories ship

What this country needs is a party that helps all those that work or contribute - even if its a few simple things a day such as clearing ice off the road or cleaning the streets.

Such contributions would restore pride in many jobs that so many ridicule in today's Britain, yet these jobs take place in other countries.

Those that don't want to contribute can get kicked out into another country that allows people to live their off the state.

We need policies that reward those trying to help better the economy and system - whether its a job as a cleaner or a job as a brain surgeon. They are still doing their bit.

However,

• Labours policies help those that do not do their bit
    • Tories policies when fully put in place will not help those doing their bit but will also not help some lower class families doing their bit

See where we need to find the balance in the middle.

We need a true party for the working people of Britain.

If you pay tax, you get the perks (you put in, you get out)

If you don't pay tax then you don't.

Those that then are jobless will take jobs as cleaners, take jobs as waiters/waitresses because they will want the added perks that come with having employment.

Also, their should be an automatic system in place that takes 4% of earnings for times when unemployment come around - basically, an Automatic Aid Fund.

Therefore if I earn a salary of £20,000 I have £400 put away for times of hardship. That is equivalent of almost 8 weeks on JSA. If I work for 5 years then I have saved £2000. Its basically a 'save for a rainy day' fund but rather than letting people do it, its automatically done as some, not all, people in our society are too irresponsible to manage money and save enough for hard times.

For those on less than that salary the government should have help the lower working class fund to top it up.

No one realistically should be out of work longer than 2 months unless they have a disability or something.

2 months is more than enough time to get another job, even if its not in the field you want just to see you by for the time being.

Jobs are being turned down left, right and centre at the job centre because people think that the jobs are worthless and that they are better than those jobs.

The key is making those jobs more attractive by giving people who take these jobs perks and taking perks away from those that don't work.

Basically, the economy will help you if you help the economy. That should be the main aim of any party, however as of current we have

Tories - help the rich
    Labour - help those on benefits and poor - even drug addicts and such
    Lib Dems - they don't even have a clue who they represent as the divide was evident in the House of Commons.
    Oh bloody hell not you again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EggmanD)
    What im saying is this democratic system we have is a relic of the past and something that future generations will consider a huge joke, much like an archeologist finding a square wheel.

It is a terrible system and the sad thing is people only look to the past saying 'OH its better than Marxism! or some other equally stupid comparision with another useless system.

Bottom line is; we need something new, something logical and something fair which is not what this current system is or what any other ancient system will ever be.
    Depends on how "ancient" you're prepared to go.

ReputationRep:
    I think a new party needs to form because labour were useless, tories are a bunch of clueless toffs and lib dems, ha dont get me started.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .Ali.)
    Look at it this way -

Example

Conservatives 40%
    Labour 30%
    LibDem 20%
    Other 10%

Those 40% all agree on something. The other 60%, although there are more, don't have a collective set of ideas, and
    compromising would please no one. FPTP promotes strong governments, and is essential.
    You're right here but only about compromising pleasing no one.

Perhaps you can attempt to address the questions raised initially in this thread.

Two million people attended an anti war rally protesting policies of the last government. TWO MILLION.

Where was this "small minority of anarchists" (blamed now by the Conservative Party) who hijack mass protests in order to inflict arbitrary damage on the political infrastructure?

Where were they?

Can you explain why there have been four violent protests within the first year of the present administration?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hello dave)
    Oh bloody hell not you again.
    Are you dizzee blud? Mi nuh kya !! :mad:

Yu Labba-Labba Chi-Chi Man .

Yu rass claat haad eaz.

Yu Half eediat !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M1F2R3)
    Elaborate?
    Being members of the Conservative Party, they are devoid of both souls and morals. As a result, they are scum or *****. There are numerous appropriate phrases, pick one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laertes)
    Being members of the Conservative Party, they are devoid of both souls and morals. As a result, they are scum or *****. There are numerous appropriate phrases, pick one.
    You say they are "devoid of both souls and morals" but you don't elaborate on how "they're scum". Is this because the members are resistant to your views and you cannot accept democracy?

ReputationRep:
    Are you dizzee blud? Mi nuh kya !! :mad:

Yu Labba-Labba Chi-Chi Man .

Yu rass claat haad eaz.

Yu Half eediat !
    Are you from Gabalfa...?

ReputationRep:
    No, they are not human and they never have been. Some are admittedly more agreeable (David Davis, John Bercow, Michael Portillo once he left the Commons) but the mere sight of most of them make my colon clench.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .Ali.)
    Look at it this way -

Example

Conservatives 40%
    Labour 30%
    LibDem 20%
    Other 10%

Those 40% all agree on something. The other 60%, although there are more, don't have a collective set of ideas, and compromising would please no one. FPTP promotes strong governments, and is essential.
    I fully understand your point; even though vital, I failed to address it. My point is that the political voting system does not work. This protective democracy is not the real form if demos kratos 'the rule of the people' this is the rule of the minority. If we all voted on key issues and policies, we would be more democratic. We need a system of developmental democracy.

ReputationRep:
    Are you from Gabalfa...?
    Nah man

Mi half Jamaican/half welsh innit

Mi yard ina Rumney

Yu?

ReputationRep:
    You say they are "devoid of both souls and morals" but you don't elaborate on how "they're scum". Is this because the members are resistant to your views and you cannot accept democracy?
    So you believe this system we have is democracy loooooooooooooooooooool.

ReputationRep:
    Let's try again.

Two million people attended an anti war rally protesting policies of the last government. TWO MILLION.

Where was this "small minority of anarchists" (blamed now by the Conservative Party) who hijack mass protests in order to inflict arbitrary damage on the political infrastructure?

Where were they?

Can you explain why there have been four violent protests within the first year of the present administration?

ReputationRep:
    Is this guy for real? Over 10m people voted for the Tories - 2m more than Labour and millions more than anyother party BASED on cuts and an increase in tuition fees. The only undemocratic thing here is yobs wanting to smash **** up because they don't like having to pay a bit more for their 2:2s in media studies
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gimme More)
    I just watched a live Q and A session with the Home Secretary, Teresa May, making statements about the student protests and have to say I am stunned by the display of illogical emotion I witnessed.

Apart from perhaps two MPs - not one person stated, addressed or asked why these protests have taken place.

I overestimated these individuals' propensities for compassion. I don't even know where to start to describe what I mean. It is as though these people believe they are legitimate representatives of the people, having the mandate of the people, even after they've been shown that nothing can be further from the truth!

The argument being put forward is that a hard core of violent activists infiltrated peaceful protests in order to perpetrate criminal acts! I mean, what kind of mentality would rationalize things in this way?

This so called hard core of trouble makers exists? Where are they then? What makes them suddenly appear? Where were they during the Blair/Brown years? According to the Tories, and even if you ask me, I'd say there was plenty of reason for angry protest under the last government, and yet we did not see this level of animosity.

Teresa.

You need to ask yourself a simple question.

Why is this happening?
    They may not be 'human' in your eyes, but at least they're honest! The Conservatives have been the most consistent in terms of carrying out their manifesto, albeit not completely due to the coalition. Lib Dems just lied their asses to power - "Oh we will abolish student fees". University isn't free and asking the student to contribute is the only fair way of relieving the burden on taxpayers. They were talking ****. The only way student fees will be free is if we cut places and close crappy unis. Labour are now disagreeing with everything and anything the Conservtive Party says in order to score some political points in the Commons because they lost, even going back on what they said when they were in power. HYPOCRITES. Also, people are forgetting that it was New Labour who started this whole fees malarkey.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prince Rupert)
    Is this guy for real?
    Let's try again.

Two million people attended an anti war rally protesting policies of the last government.

TWO MILLION.

Where were they?

ReputationRep:
    Nah man

Mi half Jamaican/half welsh innit

Mi yard ina Rumney

Yu?
    Cyncoed, you type/talk like a person from Rumney so it was my next guess after Llanrumney.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.