Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Interview with the disabled protester who was pulled form his wheelchair Watch

• Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by No Future)
    Then why drag him from wheelchair, why not just wheel him away from the crowd?
    I have no idea. But your making pretty wide judgments of the police based on that one snippet of video. We don't see what happens before hand.

Also if you look on the guys blog he says how he walked to the top of millbank tower up 19 flights of stairs. He also admits to being on the rampage at the protests

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    I know he was not throwing things at police however he was directing people to attack police lines.
    Still doesn't excuse dragging him out of his wheelchair across the road.
    If the police felt that he was doing something wrong, then they should have arrested him. They didn't - they just dragged him from his chair and the officer had to be pulled away by his colleagues. What does that say to you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arekkusu)
    I'm sure the police guy didn't mean to cause such injuries; what on earth would be the point?
    One would hope so, but why did the policeman whack Alfie Meadows on the head? Why did the policeman kill Tomlinson? Why did the policeman kill Blair Peach?

Some police are good, some revel in the violence and enjoy indiscriminate beatings of unarmed innocent people.

(Original post by Arekkusu)
    It's clear that "reasonable force" is, and should be, more based on intention than on outcome.
    Not sure that's the law.
    "Oh sorry gov, didn't mean to kill him, it was just a light whack to the head"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by f00ddude)
    throwing petrol bombs, sticks and rocks at you, you can't see it from the polices view
    Try attending a protest and see for yourself.

Petrol bombs? That's a new one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by goewyn)
    Bah, don't believe that for a second. When everyone panics and there are cowards about, it's the easier targets that are turned on first.
    Armed, trained and armored officer targets man in wheelchair. Such bravery against the yobs!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DaveSmith99)

The footage is absolutely disgusting, all of the involved officers should be fired and possibly face criminal charges, its absolutely inexcusable.

I understand that the police where under a lot of pressure and on the receiving end of violence themselves but that is no excuse.
    respect for this guy went up 1000% when he mentioned BBC and Palestine, makes me glad to know people aware of their impartiality

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hypocriticaljap)
    The deluded idiot shouldn't have been there.
    Why shouldn't he be there?
    Because he might be attacked by police.
    I can't see a reasonable reason as to why he was dragged from his wheelchair. It's not as if he was crushed in the crowd, in which case you could say it was tragic and happens.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PerigeeApogee)
    Generally, I support the police - but their behaviour at protests absolutely perplexes me.

It is clear that their only role there is to provoke and incite violence. What other purpose does practices like kettling serve?
    I have been struggling to understand this myself. Maybe some get a kick out of a good beating?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by badger-man)
    The purpose of kettling is to restrict movement and prevent further damage to property. I don't know why but some people don't like their shops and offices being trashed :rolleyes: The police therefore kettle protesters in areas where they can't cause as much damage and hope to keep them contained until most of them are tired and want to go home.
    The police have to make a decision between kettling or more traditional riot control methods. So far they have opted for kettling but I've heard rumours that they're preparing to use tear gas if there are any more violent protests. The police are actually quite liberal. In most European countries the police would have started using water canons and bean bag shotguns the moment it got violent.
    Actually, there was little vandalism in the early stages. It was AFTER people were kettled, attacked, charged upon that people began to get angry and cause most of the damage. The vandalism videos on the news are mostly after dark, after people had been kettled and attacked for some hours

ReputationRep:
    Why the **** would you go to a student protest in a wheelchair? Dumbass.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by No Future)
    One would hope so, but why did the policeman whack Alfie Meadows on the head? Why did the policeman kill Tomlinson?

Some police are good, some revel in the violence and enjoy indiscriminate beatings of unarmed innocent people.

Not sure that's the law.
    "Oh sorry gov, didn't mean to kill him, it was just a light whack to the head"
    If you know the full situation surrounding alfie Meadows I'd like to hear it. As for Tomlinson. They did not kill him. The injury's he sustained would not kill a healthy adult, he only died because he was a heavy drinker and his body was in a complete utter state.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zulSHwQ_Gp8

I'd just like to know what people make of this. The police are telling him he's got to move before he gets hurt.

I've already posted on another thread about this so I don't want to repeat it all again .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emmie3303)

I'd just like to know what people make of this. The police are telling him he's got to move before he gets hurt.

I've already posted on another thread about this so I don't want to repeat it all again .
    I think that is able to judge whether he is in danger or not himself, if he felt he was in danger then he would have asked for assistance of gotten himself out of there. What he did not need was to be pulled from his wheelchair and dragged across the street in such an undignified way.

ReputationRep:
    You just have to roll your eyes at the stupidity of some of these comments. Even if he was in a wheelchair swearing blue murder at the police, he still should of been wheeled away. A disabled person in a wheelchair is not treated equally by being pulled out of their chair. It is a rob of their dignity and the police officers, anyone who defends it, are frankly idiots . Simple as that, no other way of putting it. Police officers actions are suppose to be proportional and restrained.

People need to get a grip on things and stop acting like the majority were rioting. It was a loud minority of fringe idiots. How ironic is that the same people who condemn the 'violence' are the ones who see no issue with a disabled man being dragged along the street.

Idiots.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DaveSmith99)
    Doesn't their have to be intent for attempted murder? The actions of that officer are disgusting but I doubt their was an intent to murder.
    No there doesn't need to be an intention to cause death but only an intention to cause 'serious harm'. The courts have a standard for the gradation of injuries, and hitting someone on the head with a baton does constitute an attempt to cause 'serious harm'. That's why the police's own guidelines state that they are not to hit anyone on the head with batons. It's very easy to cause death or brain injury by such techniques. If you hit someone on the head with an iron bar you will most likely cause very serious injury - it's not slapstick comedy like Charlie Chaplin or movie violence with Arnie in it. People get very seriously busted up or killed by hitting them in the head. By the way, the police have the option of disavowing responsibility for the cop who hit the protester and leaving him to fend for himself. There is not one law for cops and another for civilians. It's one law for everyone - the cops actually have no legal right to brain-damage people, and if the CPS decided to prosecute the cop responsible, the Met Police wouldn't have to back him up.

ReputationRep:
    The Police own the legitimate use of force in this country. Students do not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    If you know the full situation surrounding alfie Meadows I'd like to hear it. As for Tomlinson. They did not kill him. The injury's he sustained would not kill a healthy adult, he only died because he was a heavy drinker and his body was in a complete utter state.
    As far as I am aware, that does not matter in law.
    If someone has a pre-existing condition (say a weak skull from a previous injury), and someone who doesn't know this hits him on the head and the guys end up dying, that person can be tried for mansalughter / murder. It doesn't matter if the incident wouldn't affect a healthy person.

(Original post by Emmie3303)

Then just move him out of the way.
    Its no justification for dragging him violently out of his wheelchair across the road.
    As I have said many times, if the copper was in the right, why did his colleagues have to drag him away from the incident.

ReputationRep:
    I think it's such a difficult one- obviously this guy was not a threat and shouldn't have been treated so appallingly but what do people think about police violence at the protests generally? I can totally understand it if they are defending themselves against violence from protesters but by the sounds of things that was only a tiny minority of people, whereas the police were acting indiscriminately with violence towards all the students, often hitting and charging at those who were doing nothing wrong and could not get out of the way because of the crowds. There are some really good witness statements from people who were there at this blog

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laurabates)
    whereas the police were acting indiscriminately with violence towards all the students
    Exactly this. And that is the problem I have with the police tactics (including kettling). It also has to be noted that the police are instructed NOT to hit people on the head because of the damage it can do. Yet look what happened.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WelshBluebird)
    As far as I am aware, that does not matter in law.
    If someone has a pre-existing condition (say a weak skull from a previous injury), and someone who doesn't know this hits him on the head and the guys end up dying, that person can be tried for mansalughter / murder. It doesn't matter if the incident wouldn't affect a healthy person.

Im getting sick of this argument. STOP SAYING IT WOULD BE MURDER. Without Intent to murder it is not murder.

In this case even manslaughter would be a stretch.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 18, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.