Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

A child’s life needs to be GOVERNED and CONTROLLED Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CountMancula)
    Many youths today are brought up in such a poor fashion. If you were to wander around certain areas, you will see kids hanging out on street corners etc. They all follow the same thing and admire scum celebrities, which in effect, promotes their idea of being a maverick and causing mayhem.

My idea is to CONTROL what children see and do. I believe it is important that they are exposed to the HISTORY and HERITAGE of Britain. There is a general lack of knowledge when it comes to today’s youth. I am sure you are all familiar with the term: Jeremy Kyle people. This needs to prevented to stop more of them populating.

When they are young, let’s say 5, the child should have to read the history of Britain. It is important that they’re tarnished with stories about famous citizens, leaders, generals, politicians, etc. Also introduce them to key events and battles.

Different idols

This could be nicely incorporated with the National Trust or English Heritage. They offer an array of historic properties and locations up and down the country. Why not force children to visit these places? Let them appreciate class, dignity, heritage and history. Maybe introduce a class camp? The class camp will teach them manners, music, key skills etc.

Blicking Hall

By the time the child is a teen, he/she will have a broader knowledge, and hopefully more class. Rather than blasting music out of a mobile phone and drinking white lightening in a park at night, they will realise that their actions are despicable and somewhat animal like.
    Solution: One must have a license in order to breed.

ReputationRep:
    And to follow on from the OP's thoughts, lets' think more about the Monarchy and the respect it is owed by children, who are future workers.

The Monarchy teaches all workers, particularly future workers, important social values which then remain with them throughout their working lives. (For this reason alone British business should honour the Wedding - and allow the workers to do the same)

For the Monarchy teaches workers to accept hierarchy. To respect and obey hierarchical authority as a social given. It also teaches them to defer to inherited power, wealth and privilege - as a duty which is owed to certain very special families. It teaches workers to accept the status quo which sees some human beings in society having great power and ownership over other human beings. That it is only right to let them have that power and to surrender to it. That there is joy in duty, hard work and service. In this way Monarchy is the bedrock of all social, political and economic stability.

It is also only natural for a worker to want to celebrate The Royal Wedding. To give expression to a very deep human need. To pay homage to a future King and Queen. To rejoice and to celebrate in their union and the fact the Monarchy is going to continue. It is thus wrong and also unnatural for any business, let alone Government, to stop someone from celebating it. In any case, the joy and delight the occasion will engender will only lead to happier and more produtive workers in the longer term. For what is good for the soul is also good for the nation - and is of benefit to all employers.

(Haha! - only joking, some buffoon wrote this in the comments section of The Telegraph this morning - I couldn't resist duplicating it here.........)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .Ali.)
    Okay granted about the car, I've always assumed everyone has one, but maybe they don't. Also, what better way to destress than spending quality time with your child?
    destress and child in the same sentence, being around a healthy, hearty child is anything but peaceful i assure you.

Trust me, learning history and British culture will improve a child’s mentality. I think visiting the stately homes and historic sites will really benefit them too. It will take them away from the inner city slums and to the more pleasant areas of this country.
    if you can development an interest yes the its possible especially if its done with close intereaction with the parents. But you cant force it down thier throats as tehy will just reject it. I agree it will benefit them. And bear in mind what is pleasent is highly subjective, you might find a one bed flat in council block slummy doesnt mean everyone will. Some people like the smell of petrol others dont

ReputationRep:

Different idols
    I'm not being funny but who the **** looks up to that ******

ReputationRep:
    You're backing up one of my points though...take the kids to these places. Let them see great cathedrals, stately homes, Norman castles, Victorian engineering. Take them away from the usual rubbish that's ploughed into their head!
    But leave that to the teachers and the schools.

The Bullingdon Club is a very historic club. I would love to be a part of it.
    Yes, they may be a lavish at time, but at least its classier. I am not here to stop fun - I want to add class, IQ and knowledge to the modern stupid youth.
    Classier? Hardly.

ReputationRep:
    Many youths today are brought up in such a poor fashion. If you were to wander around certain areas, you will see kids hanging out on street corners etc. They all follow the same thing and admire scum celebrities, which in effect, promotes their idea of being a maverick and causing mayhem.

My idea is to CONTROL what children see and do. I believe it is important that they are exposed to the HISTORY and HERITAGE of Britain. There is a general lack of knowledge when it comes to today’s youth. I am sure you are all familiar with the term: Jeremy Kyle people. This needs to prevented to stop more of them populating.

When they are young, let’s say 5, the child should have to read the history of Britain. It is important that they’re tarnished with stories about famous citizens, leaders, generals, politicians, etc. Also introduce them to key events and battles.

Different idols

This could be nicely incorporated with the National Trust or English Heritage. They offer an array of historic properties and locations up and down the country. Why not force children to visit these places? Let them appreciate class, dignity, heritage and history. Maybe introduce a class camp? The class camp will teach them manners, music, key skills etc.

Blicking Hall

By the time the child is a teen, he/she will have a broader knowledge, and hopefully more class. Rather than blasting music out of a mobile phone and drinking white lightening in a park at night, they will realise that their actions are despicable and somewhat animal like.

A class camp really? HA!
    Why would a 5 year old give a crap about history? Unless they grew up with parents obsessed with it and were very advanced for their age.
    And what's wrong with Dappy as a role model, he came from having pretty much nothing to being loaded, a lot of kids who have nothing want to get where he is now and see him as an inspiration.
    People grow up in different ways get over it!

ReputationRep:
    lol I think children in school should learn to empower themselves and overthrow both governments and authority that keeps them opressed. So basically continue defacing the monarchy

Note* This comment is self amusement but had to be said due to the OPs ignorance and lack of knowledge of how life is outside being born in a wealthy family that oppresses the poor for its money.

Also hardly anyone role models dappy. They might respect someone like tupac. But not dappy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sinbad23)
    lol I think children in school should learn to empower themselves and overthrow both governments and authority that keeps them opressed. So basically continue defacing the monarchy

Note* This comment is self amusement but had to be said due to the OPs ignorance and lack of knowledge of how life is outside being born in a wealthy family that oppresses the poor for its money.

Also hardly anyone role models dappy. They might respect someone like tupac. But not dappy.
    You don't even know me, Sinbad. It's not fair to judge me based on an IDEA.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Tbh a bit of history might actually help. Look at the morons who attacked the statues and the war memorial during the protests

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    Tbh a bit of history might actually help. Look at the morons who attacked the statues and the war memorial during the protests
    One of them was a middle class idiot who is studying history.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WelshBluebird)
    One of them was a middle class idiot who is studying history.
    God help this country

ReputationRep:
    Somehow I think making visits to National Trust properties compulsory would have the opposite effect. Why not let children discover their own passions? I was never forced to appreciate history when I was little, I just did. Besides, I think some basic manners and consideration of others would be a good start. No need to run before you can walk...

ReputationRep:
    You don't even know me, Sinbad. It's not fair to judge me based on an IDEA.
    Yeah fair enough, really. But you have to understand where people come from. My life is tough. Its not glamourous in any way also when I was 12 I used to be rich. Ive got a lot of disdain towards authority and monarchy and governments who oppress the poor. I agree that manners etc should be taught but you should also have a look at the quality of life that other people live in in contrast to the monarchy or upper class.

ReputationRep:
    A child’s life needs to be GOVERNED and CONTROLLED'

Pure Nazi statement, obviously its to get people on the debate but still.. Children need to be provided with opportunity and excitement as well as relevant stimuli to develop properly, not forced into systems where they are denied freedom.

So, your a rich Nazi who eats cucumber sandwichs on fox hunts and gets his butler drive him around Oxfordshire in your 40 foot limo where you watch JK on your in car hd tv and think everyone who is poorer than you is some sort of non human who need to be monitored and slaughtered accordingly like cattle. Your stereotyping, dont see why i cant.

Sigh.

Music on a mobile phone? thats just a teenage fad, who cares they grow up. You see maybe 1 out of every 100000 people over 21 doing the same but who cares, its not like you have to follow them home.

White lightning in the park? well thats just school tradition and teen curiosity. I used to go down the park and down cheap booze just like most other people my age. Good luck putting a stopper in teenage curiosity without harsh extremities.

Like someone said before, you idea of knowledge about British history somehow leading to an increase in 'class' (whatever that is) and respect is a completely moronic idea.

You come across as a rich snob who has lived in a bubble until he came to uni outside of Oxford and has been greatly offended by the normalities of city life and has started a pathetic little snob crusade based on a crap episode of a tv show no one with a brain watches or relates to real life and formed some Nazi ideals about teaching these people you assume to be everywhere about Lord Tillingdons country manor in, what is possibly the most stupid idea ever, an attempt to force your silly values of class and manners on children, when in reality, they are just doing what children do based on 'whats in'.

You ever seen 'Peckham Finishing School for Girls'? Thats how i imagine you. A complete and utter *******.

ReputationRep:
    What a load of reactionary piffle. Fortunately, you're a troll. Unfortunately, you're a very representative troll.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dreiviergrenadier)
    I have thought about it and it makes no sense whatsoever. It means that money is given to families who don't need it, it doesn't address any specific problems, and no-one who needs help gets it. But feel free to explain why it makes sense.
    It encourages marriage and two-parent families for one. It gives mothers an incentive to stay off work with their children, and to bring the children up properly.

Most of the people i know who receive benefits are dependant on food, shelter, clothes and heating, not the state. People should be able to rely on the state to help with these things, and on their fellow citizens not to be complete imbeciles about it. I doubt you have anything other than dogma to support your view of benefits.
    People should be self sufficient. Yes, some people need benefits, that is all well and good. There are also people who are riding the dole. The lazy. The workshy. You know who I mean. Jeremy Kyle people, as the OP mentioned. I don't want to work to support them.

I don't know what kind of child you were, but i don't imagine that spending time trying to get a child to sit still and listen to a parent they rarely see is the least stressful of activities.
    I was actually quite well-behaved, and my parents always spent time with me. If the child doesn't listen and is illbehaved, then the parents have themselves to blame.

You've got to know families whose children behave this way? As in, spoken to them about the kind of pressures and stresses they face, the time constraints, their local environment etc?
    Yes, unfortunately. I haven't discussed those things with them, but I know some of them.

Surely, at this point in the conversation, given what you've shown about your assumptions and preconceptions, you should have thought to yourself 'Hang on, i don't have the slightest clue what it's like to be in this situation. Maybe i should stop judging people based on what i experienced, and invest some time into discovering the reality.'
    You ignored all my points. No, I haven't experienced it, that doesn't make my points less valid. 'Reality' is subjective, isn't it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EggmanD)
    Pure Nazi statement, obviously its to get people on the debate but still.. Children need to be provided with opportunity and excitement as well as relevant stimuli to develop properly, not forced into systems where they are denied freedom.
    It's not a Nazi statement at all.

So, your a rich Nazi who eats cucumber sandwichs on fox hunts and gets his butler drive him around Oxfordshire in your 40 foot limo where you watch JK on your in car hd tv and think everyone who is poorer than you is some sort of non human who need to be monitored and slaughtered accordingly like cattle. Your stereotyping, dont see why i cant.
    Did he mention income in this? No.

Sigh.

Music on a mobile phone? thats just a teenage fad, who cares they grow up. You see maybe 1 out of every 100000 people over 21 doing the same but who cares, its not like you have to follow them home.
    It's annoying and uncouth.

White lightning in the park? well thats just school tradition and teen curiosity. I used to go down the park and down cheap booze just like most other people my age. Good luck putting a stopper in teenage curiosity without harsh extremities.
    LOL no it's not. Yes, teenagers drink. One, we drink better quality alcohol, and two, we don't all drink in the park. It's foul.

You come across as a rich snob who has lived in a bubble until he came to uni outside of Oxford and has been greatly offended by the normalities of city life and has started a pathetic little snob crusade based on a crap episode of a tv show no one with a brain watches or relates to real life and formed some Nazi ideals about teaching these people you assume to be everywhere about Lord Tillingdons country manor in, what is possibly the most stupid idea ever, an attempt to force your silly values of class and manners on children, when in reality, they are just doing what children do based on 'whats in'.
    Nothing he has said is snobby. "What's in" doesn't make it right. Also, where do you live for that to be 'in'? :lolwut:

You ever seen 'Peckham Finishing School for Girls'? Thats how i imagine you. A complete and utter *******.
    I've never seen it so I can't comment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EggmanD)

Sigh.

Like someone said before, you idea of knowledge about British history somehow leading to an increase in 'class' (whatever that is) and respect is a completely moronic idea.

Wow, I’ve really hit a nerve haven’t I?

Listen, yes I am from Oxfordshire but I do NOT look down on people, nor do I have a butler or a limo. Yes you’re stereotyping, but I wasn’t. I was merely presenting my idea to IMPROVE and EDUCATE the youth of today, because lets face it, a lot of them are classless bullies!

You have taken my idea and completely blown it of proportion. Nazism? Get a grip. There is a big difference between the curious drinking and consistent binge drinking. We have all had a bit of cheap alcohol when we were younger (no matter what school/area you’re at), but many of children now focus their lives around it along with the exposure to crap idols, music, drugs and the pressures of live to make them “modern” or “cool”.

My idea – sending youths to camps and dowsing them with a bit of British class will REALLY improve these children. Think about it – A child is bought up in sub urban area surrounded by “chav” (I dislike the term) culture. But they’re young. Send them to these places and open their eyes. Drill in history, key events, heroes and sacrifices made for this country. Their appreciation will rise.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .Ali.)
    It's not a Nazi statement at all.
    No, it has little to do with a German political party of late but it is related to forcing social change against what others might think is right.

(Original post by .Ali.)
    Did he mention income in this? No.
    he heavily implied it and i was saying that the majority of people on JK are at the bottom of the barrel and not representative of the 'working class'

(Original post by .Ali.)
    It's annoying and uncouth.
    Thats life. Ill also add that there are more pressing issues at hand than a few kids being annoying.

(Original post by .Ali.)
    LOL no it's not. Yes, teenagers drink. One, we drink better quality alcohol, and two, we don't all drink in the park. It's foul.
    Well, when i was in school and people were drinking we had to get away from the house or go to someones when there parents were away.

Most of the time everyone went down Reigate priory park (not exactly a ghetto) with whatever booze we could get our hands on. My uni housemates did the same, wherever was easiest to get to.

I didnt say it was the coolest thing ever did i? It was just somewhere where you could get away with it and get home from easily.

(Original post by .Ali.)
    Nothing he has said is snobby. "What's in" doesn't make it right. Also, where do you live for that to be 'in'? :lolwut:
    Teenagers and children are fickle, they will jump on whatever bandwagon is going on to fit in. If you listen to 'cool' music then you will show everyone how 'cool' you are by playing it on your cool iphone for example.

(Original post by .Ali.)
    I've never seen it so I can't comment.
    I would recommend it, it went out on channel 4 or BBC..I cant remember but its a good little documentary. The rich females make good friends with the Peckham ghetto *****es breaking all these silly social barriers that OP cant seem to get past.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .Ali.)
    You said earlier about how when parents, if they work, should still try and educate their children after work. If the parents work (full time) then they get very little time to play with their children so they don't want to use that limited time being strict and boring with them - they want to make fun times and memories. So yes you were right about destressing the parent can be done by spending time with your child but if you have worked a 40 hour week you dont want to be bringing out a mega huge histroy textbook to go through with a five year old!

My mum worked full time when i was younger and was a single mum and i rarely saw her - i couldnt imagine anything worse if she had come home to start taking me round art galleries and things like that. Instead we baked and coloured but nothing educational or to add class, just for fun.

If your parents are lucky enough to have the time, the money and the energy to educate you at home then fine but statistically it isnt many parents these days. I get your point and extra stuff at home will help some people but not everyone. I could still read and write by 4 etc but through fun activites not by being dragged around boring places!

Also even if some people have the access to free facilities many people don't have the knowledge to take their children round and explain things to them - like most parents don't have a clue about art, now yes yours might have done, but it isn't the smae for everyone.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.