Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

@ people who think rap is spelt Crap/think hip hop is about guns and hoes etc... Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by therealOG)
    Didn't know she hired a TSR bodyguard.
    She didn't, I just felt compelled to comment on how much of a massive fail you are

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Boney King of Nowhere)
    She didn't, I just felt compelled to comment on how much of a massive fail you are
    Good for you then. Happy now?

ReputationRep:
    Someone's a bit jealous
    Yeah man... I get jealous of randomers off the internet like dat.

Seriously tho, try pick up girls with that, lemme know how it goes...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zKlown)
    Yeah man... I get jealous of randomers off the internet like dat.

Seriously tho, try pick up girls with that, lemme know how it goes...
    I wasn't planning to pick up girls with my UMS scores......dumbass.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jos10)
    It's awful, and so is most of rap. The song writer is just writing some lyrics and saying them moderately faster, which is nothing like reading poetry where there is a concious decision to let the words appreciated. Rap requires nowhere near as much talent as songwriters of bands like the Beatles, Velvet Underground and Bob Dylan. The Beatles and Bob Dylan both put poems to music, and why are they regarded as more talented? They SING the lyrics, rather than just spitting them out at a hundred miles an hour...
    While i agree that delivery is a very important factor, the lyrical content here and in most rap songs is a different type of wordplay, the 'hundred miles an hour spitting' is down to your inability/unwillingness to take it in as a lot of people dont have a problem.

Both formats are based around word/sentence/metaphor/wordplay/delivery appreciation portraying emotion, telling a story, feeding ego, social issues and situations etc.. only difference is one is stereotyped to intellectually superior white people and the other 'in da ghetto' black people.. oh and one requires a beat.. but its musical poetry of course...

(Original post by jos10)
    a concious decision to let the words appreciated
    lol, who doesn't make a conscious decision to speak to be heard?

(Original post by Diaz89)
    lol are you a fag
    lol, are you a philistine, a forum try hard or just a waste of bandwidth?

ReputationRep:
    I wasn't planning to pick up girls with my UMS scores......dumbass.
    Well what do you plan on doing with it other than quoting it on random forums?

Cool.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zKlown)
    Well what do you plan on doing with it other than quoting it on random forums?

Cool.
    I plan to use it to get into an academically sound university. You need to chill out bro :hoppy:

ReputationRep:
    In response to OP, one song is not a valid statistical sample.

ReputationRep:
    Or listen to Akala, the modern shakespeare

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EggmanD)
    lol, are you a philistine, a forum try hard or just a waste of bandwidth?
    Yep, you are, thanks for confirming my suspicions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Diaz89)
    Yep, you are, thanks for confirming my suspicions.
    Shouldn't you be studying for your GCSE's?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BlackVenom321)
    :tea:I fully agree with you brah, I think not taking time to properly sample and listen to a genre of music before you make judgements is simply ignorant.
    Have you done this with all genres of music?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jelkin)
    Have you done this with all genres of music?
    NO, but I never say a genre of music is crap because i haven't yet sampled it. Obiously

ReputationRep:
    NO, but I never say a genre of music is crap because i haven't yet sampled it. Obiously
    Oh, I see. I don't think it's that surprising that people hear a few hip hop tracks and make a decision about it based on those, though. (For the record, I have nothing against hip hop.) I mean, most people "hate" classical music these days, but "classical music" is a stupidly wide genre. I guess people will always make judgments based on the little they know - particularly in music, where there is so much choice that you kind of need to be discriminating to get anywhere.

ReputationRep:
    Good point. I really can't think of anything better to do with my time than listen to some guy say words that someone else wrote for him, over music that someone else made for him......

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JoeLatics)
    Good point. I really can't think of anything better to do with my time than listen to some guy say words that someone else wrote for him, over music that someone else made for him......
    Surely you must be talking about pop and Rnb music, because rappers write their own lyrics mate. That's what makes them talented unlike the shyt you get off the charts nowadays, where their songs are written for them and all they have is a good voice which they were born with.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jelkin)
    Oh, I see. I don't think it's that surprising that people hear a few hip hop tracks and make a decision about it based on those, though. (For the record, I have nothing against hip hop.) I mean, most people "hate" classical music these days, but "classical music" is a stupidly wide genre. I guess people will always make judgments based on the little they know - particularly in music, where there is so much choice that you kind of need to be discriminating to get anywhere.

I was pleasantly surprised actually by how few people on here claim to hate classical

ReputationRep:
    Surely you must be talking about pop and Rnb music, because rappers write their own lyrics mate. That's what makes them talented unlike the shyt you get off the charts nowadays, where their songs are written for them and all they have is a good voice which they were born with.
    As opposed to rappers who have the ability to talk (which everyone is born with)?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JoeLatics)
    As opposed to rappers who have the ability to talk (which everyone is born with)?
    Good rappers are talented, Good lyrics, good flow, abstracts thoughts, the use of excellent metaphors and cool concepts.
    Trust me you've got it all wrong. Anyone can rap, but only good ones deserve credit. Anyone can sing but only singers that write their own songs deserve credit

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by therealog)
    i plan to use it to get into an academically sound university. You need to chill out bro :hoppy:
    nah man, i get angry dat cool?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 21, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.