Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by #Funky)
    Hi,

We've been given a prayer room but are not allowed to pray in it? The College says that it's a national rule that you cannot be late for lessons because of prayer or leave lessons for prayer.

Do you think Muslims should be allowed to pray and folllow their religion or not?
    Be late for your class, it's not a "national rule".

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

We've been given a prayer room but are not allowed to pray in it? The College says that it's a national rule that you cannot be late for lessons because of prayer or leave lessons for prayer.

Do you think Muslims should be allowed to pray and folllow their religion or not?
    I would say they should be allowed to pray, but only if it doesn't interrupt with any of their lessons. I mean religious freedom should still exist. They should be allowed to pray during lunch time. That's how we did it at my school. A Muslim teacher led the prayer there and we never were late for lessons. Our lunch break was 40min and we mostly finished within the first 15min.

So, I think it is not going to disturb anyone if they allow Muslims to pray during lunch time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MoanyLisa)
    So I reread your original post.
    OP, you want special permission to leave lessons for praying, instead of taking the common sense route of using the PROVIDED* prayer room during your free time, and in between lessons.

And of course, if someone says the common sense route would be better for you, that means their trying to stop you from practising your religion. :facepalm2:

*Your college have obviously made an effort to accommodate you, why can't you be grateful and use your brain instead of trying to create problems where there are none. Your not a victim, so don't play that card.

Also, your original post does not give a reason why you chose to twist the other posters words.
    I'm a Muslim and I can agree with you. There is no absolutely fixed time for prayer like that you HAVE TO PRAY at 13.42pm or something. The time can always be moved a bit forwards and backwards.

And Muslims are allowed to pray Zuhr and Asr (day-prayers) together at Asr time (before sunset). So, except in winter, there should never be a problem. And even in winter, Muslims should just do their prayers during lunch time, which in most cases is a time between Zuhr and Asr or either of the two and pray both together.

This sort of behaviour by Muslims is what gives Islam the bad reputation. Islam is not that strict guys. So, stop exaggerating that it stops you from practising your faith. Some even say that

"We are not allowed to wear a cap in lessons. That is stopping us to practise our faiths, because as a Muslim we have to wear a cap on our head at all times."

BULLS***. It is good to do so, but by far not something you HAVE to do. So stop bull****ting people!

ReputationRep:
    We were given a room to pray in, but we prayed during lunch.

ReputationRep:
    Why do you need to pray at college? Isn't that what your house or your mosque is for?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by edd360)
    This is such a ridiculous question, of course they should not be allowed to miss any time of learning to pray. Who do you think you are? Oh yeah, I follow that Jedi-Knight religion, can I please miss 10 mins of a lesson to practise my light saber swooshing technique?
    It would be funny if it wasn't so real, but it's an absolute tragedy of modern society that anyone with a holy book (:rolleyes:) in their hands can demand unreasonable 'rights' that precede over anyone else's.

Why does the government have to spend money on accommodating people's religious beliefs? If you wish, follow a religion or don't follow a religion; either way I have no care but why demand a prayer room from tax payers? If your religious mumbo jumbo says you have to do some bizarre ritual five times a day then fund your own accommodation for that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Driveme)
    There are sum strange people in the wprld,even jokes like that are taken in the wrong way,i dont mind cos there are sum idiots out there especially online
    Oh and dont talk to me like a 5 year old, i was just responding to wat u sed

Anyway ......
    It was barely even a joke, I was being sarcastic because the OP asked such a retarded question. Just wanted to make that clear, because it's apparent people think I'm against Islam.

ReputationRep:
    are the times very exact or do you have a range, say one is 6-9am, one is 9-12pm, one is 12-3pm, one is 3-6pm etc?

I mean most colleges either don't have a totally full timetable most days or at the very least have a break some time in the morning and at lunchtime. Is there no way to avoid not missing lessons?

How long does each prayer session have to be?

Apologies if this sounds offence but is praying 5 times a day completely necessary? Surely in such circumstances where it's rather awkward to be able to do them all(such as missing lesson time) it is acceptable to alter the time a little or miss one? A little like if there is no other food at all and you'll starve I thought eating what is Haram is acceptable? It would seem a tad..petty of your deity to be so concerned about you sticking to an exact arbitrary time scale when to it time is meaningless.

ReputationRep:
    If you Muslims (the ones who are moaning) have a problem with it then why not move to a country where it's ok to pray instead of being educated? Yeah? Kewl

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x_muneeb_x)
    No even though im born to Muslim parents each prayer has a specific time in which you can pray so for example zuhar from 12-3 pm , they should pray when they get time in between and not skip lessons for praying.
    Actually in winter prayer times are reduced! so Zuhr now is 12:30- 1:30 so YHHHHH! after which it becomes Qazaa! :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

It isn't my business.

When I was at college, they used to pray during lessons. Good for them? :K:

ReputationRep:
    The 'prayer' room in our college is simply an unused cbuboard which can fit five people only at one time.

It goes crazy at Jum'uah.
    believe me, yours is still better than ours lol, only one persson is allowed to access ours at a time, they so suspicious of us, now we have a room with a spikey carpet and cant even lock the door for safety its really crap the way they treat us...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by prettyinpink92)
    believe me, yours is still better than ours lol, only one persson is allowed to access ours at a time, they so suspicious of us, now we have a room with a spikey carpet and cant even lock the door for safety its really crap the way they treat us...
    LOL! It probably is. They furnished it to make it look like a 'Masjid' by putting a cylinder type of wall around it.

Wow, one person? LOL! Man! We're always over flowing with people so we have to end up reading in the corridoor outside.

One of the problems we have is that there's a lot of Muslim brothers as well as sisters. Yesterday, I went to pray Maghrib and I was a little late, there were about 15 sisters waiting to pray and one brother was inside and I walked in and prayed Maghrib. It was uber akward making them wait longer!

The floor here is wooden which makes it slippy. But I guess it's okay. My timetable is actually much better now Alhamdulillah!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.