The Student Room Group

Fifa boss tells gay fans: 'Don't have sex at Qatar World Cup'

Scroll to see replies

Original post by No Man
In that case you could say drinking alcohol is wrong, because if it was right your liver would not be affected by it.

drinking alcohol is wrong
Reply 101
Original post by Princess_perfect786
drinking alcohol is wrong

Why? Who said so?

On the other hand, Ellipsis sums this up perfectly. I sincerely wish Qatar draw Spain or some other European giant where they get beaten 10-0 or something.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Vozhak

Original post by Vozhak
WRONG- The practice of Sodomy is illegal end story..... if you are caught in your room, in your house, in your car, in public, in a cave 50000000 feet down as long as you are in Qatar you will be arrested.

The law does not say public gay sex---- it says sodomy and homosexual.

By the way has no one considered besides for the sex, gay couples will one to check in to hotels together and that will be a next whole mess by itself..... the hotel staff will know right away.... how fun.... i hope this turns into a rife mess no alcohol, no gays and i would love to see what women can and cannot do or how they can dress

this is not about following local customs like driving on the other side of the road, or bowing in Japan, or taking off your shoes in India this is about people's human rights and a huge politic of exclusion.

Source for that? If you're a non-Muslim sharia law only applies in public property. The King is likely to waiver many of the laws anyway during the WC, alcohol consumption laws for example will be relaxed and sold in the tourist regions.
Reply 103
Original post by Charzhino
As Sepp Blatter is not a popular man amongst English football fans, he has caused more controversy to the general public as he told visiting homosexual fans to the world cup in Qatar to ''refrain from sexual activity''. Views?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/9284186.stm

You can't deny this is hilarious. The fact that Qatar got the world cup is a good thing, but they're about to pay a very high price for it (literally and metaphorically).
Reply 104
The worst FIFA president in history
Reply 105
Being even microscopically anti gay on tsr is like condoning the holocaust

Though he does go on to the give the usual mantra of "I love all gays" yadayadayada
Original post by ish90an
I think the bigger problem is why hold a world cup in a place that has a ban on alcohol and condemns homosexuality? There was a massive fuss when South Africa was not allowed in international tournaments due to apartheid, why is Qatar, a country with just about all its stadiums in 1 city, no footballing history or culture, harsh climates and laws that are just ensuring people get in trouble, being adjudged fit to host a world cup despite much better contenders?

Their envelope had the most money in it...
I dont see the problem brah
Original post by super.teve
It's just like telling someone not to speed in Dubai, it's the law of that country.
JESUS CHRIST.

STOP BEING GIRLS FFS.
I'm gay, I don't give a ****ing ****,
GET OFF YOUR MORAL HIGH HORSE!

The point is that the World Cup shouldn't be hosted in a country which doesn't promote equal rights over Great Britain, not that he said it.

Basically he's acknowledging the reason why everyone's angry but not realizing it/caring.
Reply 109
Original post by Elipsis
So let me get this straight, this hell hole beat us in hosting the world cup despite being:
-Homophobic :yy:
-Having one of the worst football teams in the world, with almost no notable players :yy:
-Misogynistic to the hilt :yy:
-Shorts being frowned upon (playing in trousers in a million degree heat is going to make the games interesting) :yy:
-Alcohol being banned, which for 99% of football fans round the world goes hand in hand :yy:
-Not being allowed to even so much as look a local woman in the eyes :yy:
-The country actively courting and accepting known terrorists in its borders :yy:

Apart from the first point you made (i.e. perceived homophobia- you'd have to define 'homophobic' though), the rest of your points are either outright lies or views based on ignorance either from a religious or cultural point of view. That's what I call a joke. Not being allowed shorts to play football? Get out of this thread please.
Blatter continues to be a tube. Would definitely be nice to see his head on a platter (metaphorically).
Reply 111
Original post by slawaccess23
Apart from the first point you made (i.e. perceived homophobia- you'd have to define 'homophobic' though), the rest of your points are either outright lies or views based on ignorance either from a religious or cultural point of view. That's what I call a joke. Not being allowed shorts to play football? Get out of this thread please.

I didn't say they weren't allowed, I said it's frowned upon to wear shorts, which could be problem - not to mention the fans who want to wear shorts cus it's hot. The rest of your 'argument' was the equivalent of saying 'you're wrong', pathetic. I don't know about you, but my definition of homophobic would be calling for the death and imprisonment of otherwise innocent individuals who decide to bum each other...
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 112
Original post by Elipsis
So let me get this straight, this hell hole beat us in hosting the world cup despite being:
-Homophobic :yy:
-Having one of the worst football teams in the world, with almost no notable players :yy:
-Misogynistic to the hilt :yy:
-Shorts being frowned upon (playing in trousers in a million degree heat is going to make the games interesting) :yy:
-Alcohol being banned, which for 99% of football fans round the world goes hand in hand :yy:
-Not being allowed to even so much as look a local woman in the eyes :yy:
-The country actively courting and accepting known terrorists in its borders :yy:

What a joke...

You forgot about the part of it being the size of Belgium, if not smaller. It could of co-hosted with Bahrain at least.
Original post by S-man10
Why? Who said so?

Assuming she's Muslim I guess her holy text. The Bible seems to suggest it's ok in small amounts but drunkenness isn't allowed, maybe the Qu'ran is stricter.
Reply 114
Original post by lynds81
Whilst to many people in the Western world it seems shocking that Qatar does not condone homosexuality, perhaps we should consider that the people of Qatar probably think that the acceptance that homosexuals have in this part of the world is unacceptable. It is a matter of opinion as to who is right and wrong in this situation surely...

There are countries where cannabis is legal, does that mean they have grounds to complain if they come to this country and smoke weed and get arrested? No. That's our law, and whilst they are guests in our country they should respect that. All countries have imperfections, some more so than others. If you don't like the laws of another country, don't go there, but whilst you are a guest in another country you should abide by their rules.

As for the FIFA boss, he can hardly tell people that it's OK to break the law, so I don't see a problem with what he said..

Firstly let me congratulate you on being a grade A idiot, you have done a sterling job. Whether or not someone is gay, and that is wrong is a matter of opinion, but it is upto your own conscience as to whether or not you do it. It does not and cannot hurt anyone else. The west does not condone homosexuals, and it doesn't condemn them either. It is a matter of personal choice. The idea that a man should be killed or imprisoned for engaging in homosexual activity is disgusting. It is perhaps the stupidest part of Islam that you are allowed 4 wives, but the 3 men who go wifeless have to just sit on their hands.

There are in fact no countries where cannabis is legal. The point about not being allowed to enjoy a nice beer whilst watching the game in the stadium is that for the majority of fans the two go nicely together. No one disagrees that you should respect and follow Qatars laws on it, but what they do disagree with is letting them host it whilst such laws are in force. There were tons of countries who would have happily hosted the world cup and let the fans have a good time, without us having to resort to hosting it in such a country. And lets not forget that allowing them to host it is tantamount to endorsing the way things are run.
Put simply, Blatter is saying:

DO NOT BREAK THE LAW
Reply 116
Original post by ish90an
I think the bigger problem is why hold a world cup in a place that has a ban on alcohol and condemns homosexuality? There was a massive fuss when South Africa was not allowed in international tournaments due to apartheid, why is Qatar, a country with just about all its stadiums in 1 city, no footballing history or culture, harsh climates and laws that are just ensuring people get in trouble, being adjudged fit to host a world cup despite much better contenders?

well given that the "west" does a hell of lot business with the oil rich gulf states, it most probably means that they don't mind not being able to drink/get pissed in public/hold hands-kiss thier bfs/wear that gaypride t-shirt loud and proud etc.....

all about the dollars..... :smile:
Reply 117
Original post by rugbyladosc
You can't drink alcohol there as well..

..sounds like a right laugh....

I can just picture the ingurrlund fans!
Original post by ish90an

Why do you think? They sit on a great deal of oil wealth and clearly paid a lot of money to be hosts.

Same for Russia.

It's hard to understand.
Reply 119
Original post by n1r4v
From an Islamic point of view, yes they are; have a look at Al-Qaradawi's comments about it.

Yes they are in the wrong? Is that what you meant? Thanks, I don't know what Qaradawi you're referring to though, this one?

Quick Reply

Latest