Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

If you're of an ethnic minority, how do you react to someone saying this Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Extricated)
    Depends who it is, if it's JS or MN then i'll say 'RIP JS AND RS AND MN'
    i dnt care who it is....."RIP SHU, JS, MN AND ABDEL"

ReputationRep:
    Born/raised/originally from three different countries So when someone asks, I get out the photo album and tell them my life story? why what do you do?

ReputationRep:
    yeah i would just tell them my ethnic origin...it's clear what they mean and if it sounded wrong to you doesn't mean it is...i've been asked that several times e.g.
    "so where you from?"
    "oh near leeds"
    "no i mean originally"
    "ahh hawaii...lol nah originally from pakistan"

i actually said to someone i'm from hawaii and they believed it...tagged them along for a week or two before telling them i'm actually from pak lol
    also been mistaken for spanish several times dunno why

ReputationRep:
    If someone asked me where I was from, I'd tell them where I was born. Then they say, no originally, then I'd say, oh you mean where did my parents get on the slave ship from? What the f**k, you f***ing Nazi.
    Seriously what does it matter, once a white man asked me this, only because he was a quarter Ivory Coast.
    This question wasn't even worth me answering.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dirac Delta Function)
    I really dislike the way people are uptight about race and ethnicity. Appreciating diversity is a good thing, we don't all need to pretend we're cut from the same cloth, that would just be so bland.

But what I find amusing is the reaction of people when I tell them I'm from Baghdad - usually a white person will just look sympathetic, but a Muzzie want to know if I'm shia or sunni to know whether to hate me or sympathise.
    I take it you came here on the back of a truck ?

ReputationRep:
    I just tell them where Im from it's not a big deal, although most of them guess where I am from and they generally get it right.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by effofex)
    So you are talking about someone's ancestral line?

My parents come from different ethnic groups but most people who belong to those groupings inhabit the same country (which admittedly, is fairly large).

But what if your parents are each from different countries (e.g. German father, French mother - met each other in Basel, Switzerland, where you were born).

In this instance, I would say I was 'born in Basel', but would I be from Germany? Or France? I suppose you could say you are from 'Europe' (since Germany, France and Switzerland are all in Europe). But what if your father was Iranian and your mother was Swedish - would you then say you are from 'Eurasia'?

I thnk it is usually easier to just say where you were born, no? That is what I do.
    It happens to me all the time ... you just go,'well i am originally from...blah'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CrusaderTemplar)
    I take it you came here on the back of a truck ?
    Yes. I tricked a white girl into marrying me so that could get residency. I'm claiming benefits now. All in all things worked out quite well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lukejoshjedi)
    As in someone not of ethnic minority, you've met, you're getting along and you start talking about personal things - your family, past schools, where you're from etc

"So where are you from"

You answer casually, seeing as you were born in the UK, nothing weird

"No, but where are you from"

You may think that's like straight from a comedy skit and it never actually happens but it does, anyway if you're asked that and you're from an ethnic minority, how do you / would you react?

Anyone got real and funny experiences of a conversation like that they want to share?
    Person: 'where are you from?'
    Me: 'Leeds, how about you?'

ReputationRep:
    I get that all the time... I just say yh I'm english and what ;p
    when I went to turkey they were all asking me where i was from and then asking if they could take a picture with me!!!! apparently they've never seen a black person in that part of the world

(Original post by lukejoshjedi)
    As in someone not of ethnic minority, you've met, you're getting along and you start talking about personal things - your family, past schools, where you're from etc

"So where are you from"

You answer casually, seeing as you were born in the UK, nothing weird

"No, but where are you from"

You may think that's like straight from a comedy skit and it never actually happens but it does, anyway if you're asked that and you're from an ethnic minority, how do you / would you react?

Anyone got real and funny experiences of a conversation like that they want to share?
    People are not racist they are simply curious. In the summer i went to india to do some volentary work the people in the village asked us where we were from we said england they asked us why do we look like this then - chinese and black - we just explained that are parents are from other contries. The truth is that across the world has a certain perception of what british people look like and they just wish to know a bit more about your heritage not everything is racism it seems that many people mistake curiosity or a lack of knowledge for racism.
    Get over it the world is not against us ( members of ethnic minorities )

ReputationRep:
    I usually just keep saying London until they clarify. Depends on my mood.

ReputationRep:
    To people outside the Yorkshire region I say I live "around Leeds" Leeds is heard of, and my town is not something to be proud of. When they say where are you from, normally I take it to mean they're asking where am I from around Leeds and I'll answer. If they ask what's my ethnicity or where my parents are from, I'll tell them that it's Pakistan. It's not a racist thing, unless it comes out a racists mouth(if that makes any sense)

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 25, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.