Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Asylum seeker who left girl to die after hit-and-run allowed to stay in UK Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    Why should we give asylum to criminals?
    Then why accommodate any criminals at all? 'Giving asylum'- how generous! Ungraciously letting them stay in a part of the world you've staked out as yours!
    Britain is not a winner's state and we shouldn't think of it that way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sinbad23)
    Its not your country again.
    Would you tell an African that Africa wasn't his country? Or a native American Indian that America wasn't his continent? Or a Maori that Aotearoa wasn't his land?

I was born here. I live here. I pay my taxes here. I abide by the law of this land. This is my country.

(Original post by Chi019)
    It also reminds me of Auster's comments about the bizarre response of the Swedish PM, which sums up the main priority of liberalism:
    Pat Condell made a video about Sweden's fast track to oblivion, which turned out to be rather prophetic in the light of the recent attempted mass-murder by suicide attack a few days later:

Edit: My browser appears to be showing a white square above, but works fine with other Flash. I case anyone else is having trouble, the link for the video is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZtc2ma2GEQ

(Original post by chinaberry)
    Then why accommodate any criminals at all? 'Giving asylum'- how generous! Ungraciously letting them stay in a part of the world you've staked out as yours!
    Britain is not a winner's state and we shouldn't think of it that way.
    OK, I get the bit about giving asylum being generous. Yes, it is. We don't need to do it, it costs £billions every year and has brought crime and increased levels of HIV and TB to this country. But I'm really sorry, you must think me rather thick, but I have no idea what most of the rest actually means. I mean, what does "Britain is not a winner's state" mean?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by digitaltoast)
    OK, I get the bit about giving asylum being generous. Yes, it is. We don't need to do it, it costs £billions every year and has brought crime and increased levels of HIV and TB to this country. But I'm really sorry, you must think me rather thick, but I have no idea what most of the rest actually means. I mean, what does "Britain is not a winner's state" mean?
    I was being sarcastic! I don't think giving asylum is generous and I do think we need to do it.
    Britain is not a winner's state- we don't need to think of it like some sort of Great Country, wherein everyone has some use or contribution to make. It is a country that everyone has a right to be in because we don't need a ticket to get in. There's no 'deserving' thing about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chinaberry)
    Britain is not a winner's state- we don't need to think of it like some sort of Great Country
    You actually have no idea about...well, anything actually, do you?
    History? Politics? Education? Anything?

If it's not a great country, why do so many people from across the world come here?

We were one of the first countries to abolish slavery.

We were one of the first countries to give women the right to vote - in Saudi Arabia, they don't even have the right to drive a car.

In UAE, they only got the right to vote in 2006.
    In many Islamic countries, a woman's word is worth half that of a man's, and in some places, a women can be stoned to death for the crime of being raped.

We were one of the first countries to abolish slavery, while it continues in several countries.

We are one of the most generous and fastest contributors when there is disaster around the world. Not just the government, but the people making individual voluntary donations, too.

In China, you can be locked up for years for criticism of the government. In many parts of the world you can be killed for the same.

In America, if you have no private insurance and get sick, you may be left to die.

In some parts of the world, tiny baby girls scream and suffer terrible infection as their clitorises and labia are sliced off to ensure they may never experience pleasure.

In many places, including so-called civilised countries like Ireland, a women (currently) may not be given an abortion, even if raped or her life is at risk.

I'm only just touching the tip of the iceberg here. For all it's faults, Britain is one of the most open, democratic and generous societies and cultures. So please, feel free to come on here and talk crap, but don't tell me "we don't need to think of it like some sort of Great Country".

Unless, of course, you can tell me somewhere you'd prefer to be? And if so, why aren't you there?

ReputationRep:
    What the blazes was the buffoon driving for when he was banned?

4 months? ****ing ridiculous, I bet if the father of the dead child found him and punched him in the face he'd get more than that...:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by digitaltoast)
    You actually have no idea about...well, anything actually, do you?
    History? Politics? Education? Anything?
    Unless, of course, you can tell me somewhere you'd prefer to be? And if so, why aren't you there?
    Oh don't be so pompous. And rude, people are pretty brave on the internet! You wouldn't be saying that to my face now.
    Of course Britain is great for many things. I was using 'great' in a more sardonic way, it has several meanings. I meant, you shouldn't need to be a 'winner' in life or a great person to earn your place in Britain, it shouldn't be placed on a pedestal because other countries also have potential to develop. Sorry. It's a piece of land. They are not asking to be part of your empire or to become British, just to stay and profit and give back. Have I made it clearer now for you?

Nice use of 'actually'- I bet I could guess your accent...

ReputationRep:
    it's all very well people saying 'oh this is an isolated case etc.' Firstly, there have been dozens of these cases in the last few years, and this happening even once is once too many.

I really wish David Cameron kept his initial pledge to scrapping the human rights act and replacing it with a common sense British bill of rights so we are no longer slaves to that ridiculous ECHR.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Margaret Thatcher)
    Stop playing the victim card and getting offended over proper terminology. I mean, offended by the term 'asylum seeker'? Are you serious?
    No im offended because of the fact that something about asylum seeker is on the front page of the news and its a deliberate divide and conquer tactic just like making the people hate students. Also it encourages hatred for immigrants and non english people.

WHo is going to make a thread about an asylum seeker? Someone like me who is half turkish and half english, has black friends, asian friends, white friends, has lived in three countries and travels a lot or someone who only has white friends lives in a white neighbourhood and their dad is a bnp supporter and thinks their fully english when theyve probably got russian or french descent.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 17, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.