Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Lord of the Rings. Books and films.

... obviously.

Nazgul.

ReputationRep:
    Harry Potter. I can't get through the first chapter of LOTR. HP just appeals to a much wider audience I think.

ReputationRep:
    Lord of the Rings. The books are epic and the films are way better than HP.
    I really don't understand all these things about better writing styles and stuff, even though I read constantly. Can anyone explain it to me

ReputationRep:
    'Mr Potter'
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Hylean)
    Lord of the Rings for both films and books. I like the Harry Potter books, but they're not a touch on Tolkien's work.

Similarly, Harry Potter has not had much of an influence on Modern Fantasy as Lord of the Rings; the latter pretty much created High Fantasy whilst the former just works within an already established genre, which the author takes little notice of and it takes little notice of her.

Lord of the Rings will always be the more influential work.

It's not a trilogy and you make me laugh with the latter point. The book is over 50 years old and is still one the most influential and popular books in the world.
    This this and this again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by llpokermuffinll)
    Harry Potter of course! Lord of the Rings is some next crappy long ting movie, with no sense, whereas Harry Potter makes a lot more sense!
    What are you on about LOTR being some 'long ting' movie? Harry Potter is much longer than LOTR and worse too.

Seriously, LOTR is pretty much the most epic saga ever made, imo. Awesome story, awesome characters, and an awesome world. Harry Potter is decent, but LOTR is better by a long shot. Can't wait for the extended edition to come out on blu-ray. The epic saga will be even better in 1080p!

ReputationRep:
    Obviously Harry Potter! Lord of the Rings gets a bit tedious and also has too many really long action scenes in!

ReputationRep:
    I've not seen a Harry Potter film.

LOTR is clearly good but quite overrated. It's long, predictable and kinda drawn out. All the religious references can get annoying too.

ReputationRep:
    Lord of the Rings for definite. Nothing can touch how detailed that 'verse is.

ReputationRep:
    LOTR

ReputationRep:
    Did anyone else see the LotR exhibition when it came to the Science Museum in 2003/4? It was incredible to see the work that went into the props up close and to try out the 'forced perspective' imaging that shrinks you Hobbit-size or enlarges you Gandalf-sized compared to a friend next to you.

ReputationRep:
    Harry Potter (the films) are pretty badly acted - especially in the first 2. But I'd still go for Harry Potter both in the books and films. I could never get through reading the first lord of the rings - it bored me to death, even though I'd read the hobbit beforehand. I also hated the first and second lord of the rings films, but I thought the third one was really good: in terms of quality films and special effects for when they were made, they are better than harry potter. But harry potter is somehow more enjoyable. The books are more accessible and there are fewer chapters with long, boring descriptions.

ReputationRep:
    Harry Potter FTW.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SpacemonkeySam)
    Did anyone else see the LotR exhibition when it came to the Science Museum in 2003/4? It was incredible to see the work that went into the props up close and to try out the 'forced perspective' imaging that shrinks you Hobbit-size or enlarges you Gandalf-sized compared to a friend next to you.
    Yes! I did!
    I also went to the Dr Who exhibition a few years later, with all the monsters like the maaaassive spider on display. But that's more for a Dr Who or Star Trek thread or something :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lightburns)
    Yes! I did!
    I also went to the Dr Who exhibition a few years later, with all the monsters like the maaaassive spider on display. But that's more for a Dr Who or Star Trek thread or something :P
    The one at Earl's Court? Or there was one at the Science Museum? I went to the one at Earl's Court and was particularly impressed by the exhibit showing the making of the Ood mask. Plus the replica TARDIS.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/barnz2k/3072469458/

This spider?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SpacemonkeySam)
    The one at Earl's Court? Or there was one at the Science Museum? I went to the one at Earl's Court and was particularly impressed by the exhibit showing the making of the Ood mask. Plus the replica TARDIS.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/barnz2k/3072469458/

This spider?
    Yes, Earl's Court!

I only found out about the exhibition because I had just been to USA and got a squashed-penny-book (a book with pockets to keep squashed pennies in) and it had a website of places to get squashed pennies. I saw it had them at Earl's Court Dr Who exhibition and thought "there's a Dr Who exhibition?"

The Ood mask was great, as was the Face of Bo.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lightburns)
    Yes, Earl's Court!

I only found out about the exhibition because I had just been to USA and got a squashed-penny-book (a book with pockets to keep squashed pennies in) and it had a website of places to get squashed pennies. I saw it had them at Earl's Court Dr Who exhibition and thought "there's a Dr Who exhibition?"

The Ood mask was great, as was the Face of Bo.
    I used to love squashed penny machines! They got a bit too expensive for my sense of their value though in most places.

I'd forgotten there was a Face of Bo there!

ReputationRep:
    I'm a die hard LOTR fan.

I'll admit that the HP books are easier to get started on than the LOTR ones, but once you get into LOTR, it's hard to stop!

And in terms of movies, I only watched the HP movies just for the lolz - they're not that great at all. But LOTR, oh my....the word epic was made for those three movies. I just hope they get The Hobbit right so it can join them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by INTJ)
    Which do you prefer?

You can interpret the question to mean both the books and the films. Do you perhaps prefer the books of, say, Harry Potter, and the films for LOTR? Or vice versa? Which do you think has had the greatest impact on the fantasy genre, the film industry and modern fantasy literature? Do you think Harry Potter will grow to be more influential than LOTR in later years?Discuss...
    I bloody well hope not, it will be a dire testament to English literature when Harry Potter is considered even close to the same league as LOTR

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by karateworm)
    I think the more important question is:

Gandalf vs Dumbledore - who would win?

Gandalf, he is willing to look at all possible solutions.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.