Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

To all your dubstep haters Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dubstep.)
    Jeez I only wanted to write a sentence not a whole essay.

Is like asking someone to describe a 4x4 and you saying it has 4 wheels and an engine. Well, yeah it does, but so do a large number of other vehicles on the road. It wont help someone identify a 4x4 in a line of cars will it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Riderz)
    Is like asking someone to describe a 4x4 and you saying it has 4 wheels and an engine. Well, yeah it does, but so do a large number of other vehicles on the road. It wont help someone identify a 4x4 in a line of cars will it?
    I read 4x4 and thought you meant the genre.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cybele)
    Are you on a wind up? Music itself is entirely subjective and what appeals to one person might not to someone else. That's really all there is to it, and yet because someone doesn't agree with you, they must be by default "deaf or stupid"?

I don't like dubstep because it does absolutely nothing for me when I listen to it. I find it incredibly boring, it has no message or relevancy to me. My favourite genres are brit rock, ska, reggae, soul - feel free to criticise them all you like because like I said, it's so subjective you cannot dismiss someone's opinion just because it's the opposite of yours.

And how the hell did you come to that conclusion? You really are pulling my chain.

No I'm not on a wind up. I KNOW it's subjective. BUT

My whole point is that you're saying it's rubbish, without any justification of the point. You've probably listened to a handful of tracks. Give me examples of stuff you've listened to and found rubbish?

ReputationRep:
    What did you guys/girls think of Skream's latest album?

ReputationRep:
    I wish the production society was half as active as this :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DeanK22)
    We don't hate Dubstep due to the ' "filthy" mid range wobble'. Poor lyrics and instrumentally weak songs accomplish our hate.
    lol who lstens to dubstep or any edm genre for the lyrics?
    Im not a massive fan of dubstep but here are some of my favorites.

ps dont bother listening on laptop speakers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pengwan)
    What did you guys/girls think of Skream's latest album?
    I liked it, prefered the earlier one but that'd be hard to beat. The Epic Last Song gets my approval. It's nice melodic dubstep and not depressing dubstap tat makes you want to scoop out your own brain with a spoon and eat it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jaydoh)
    I liked it, prefered the earlier one but that'd be hard to beat. The Epic Last Song gets my approval. It's nice melodic dubstep and not depressing dubstap tat makes you want to scoop out your own brain with a spoon and eat it
    Ha, yeh. It does seem to be largely charcaterised by emotion, even the names depicts different emotions. There's alot of variation present in the album like break-beat, hip hop/dubstep hybrid etc which is favorable. I'm going to write a review on it on my blog soon enough.

ReputationRep:
    No I'm not on a wind up. I KNOW it's subjective. BUT

My whole point is that you're saying it's rubbish, without any justification of the point. You've probably listened to a handful of tracks. Give me examples of stuff you've listened to and found rubbish?
    I don't "know" the tracks because I don't seek them out. I'm assuming you've been to FAC251? I've been plenty of times when one of the rooms is dedicated to dubstep and I just don't 'get' it. I'm also sure the Warehouse Project was a bit dubsteppy. It bores me, I want songs that have some kind of 'point' and lyrics!

My opinion doesn't really need justification because that's exactly what it is, an opinion. I don't agree that dubstep is the best thing since sliced bread, infact I think it's pretty woeful, but just because you like that sh*t I'm not gonna go off on one and call you 'deaf and stupid' even though I may or may not be thinking it. :ahee:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cybele)
    I don't "know" the tracks because I don't seek them out. I'm assuming you've been to FAC251? I've been plenty of times when one of the rooms is dedicated to dubstep and I just don't 'get' it. I'm also sure the Warehouse Project was a bit dubsteppy. It bores me, I want songs that have some kind of 'point' and lyrics!

My opinion doesn't really need justification because that's exactly what it is, an opinion. I don't agree that dubstep is the best thing since sliced bread, infact I think it's pretty woeful, but just because you like that sh*t I'm not gonna go off on one and call you 'deaf and stupid' even though I may or may not be thinking it. :ahee:
    The sort of dubstep they play in mainstream clubs is the worst possible kind and is therefore not anything to base an opinion on.

The Warehouse Project could be dubsteppy but you'd think at £20 a ticket you would know whether or not it was....ie you would go to see the artists specifically and not just turn up for the hell of it.

Anyway

The music I am linking, IF you'd had watched the videos, you'd never get in a club in a million years.

The point of this thread is to educate people like yourself who think dubstep is all aggressive and bass heavy.

ReputationRep:
    OP, I'm into UKF Dubstep and love TC 'Where's my money'. If you haven't worked it out, I love dirty dubstep, those drops are dirtier than finding your dads wedding ring in your sisters vagina. If none of you watch dubstep videos on youtube, then you'll just think my comment was perverted but it is infact a tradition to describe dub in the filthiest possible way.

ReputationRep:
    The sort of dubstep they play in mainstream clubs is the worst possible kind and is therefore not anything to base an opinion on.

The Warehouse Project could be dubsteppy but you'd think at £20 a ticket you would know whether or not it was....ie you would go to see the artists specifically and not just turn up for the hell of it.

Anyway

The music I am linking, IF you'd had watched the videos, you'd never get in a club in a million years.

The point of this thread is to educate people like yourself who think dubstep is all aggressive and bass heavy.
    I've watched your videos and my opinion still stands. Oh and it was more like £30 for the WHP and I went because some friends were travelling up from London especially for it.

I never said dubstep was all aggressive, but, I still don't like it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pinda.college)
    OP, I'm into UKF Dubstep and love TC 'Where's my money'. If you haven't worked it out, I love dirty dubstep, those drops are dirtier than finding your dads wedding ring in your sisters vagina. If none of you watch dubstep videos on youtube, then you'll just think my comment was perverted but it is infact a tradition to describe dub in the filthiest possible way.
    Are you deaf or just musically retarded?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pinda.college)
    Get out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dubstep.)
    Music that has around a 140beats per min bassline/sub bass.
    :eek3:

I know nothing about music like this.

ReputationRep:
    Dubstep is way too repetitive for my liking. I went to a dubstep night and it was the first time I've ever been bored at a rave.
    Does anyone else think the majority of the old 'nu-rave' kids converted to dubstep as 'nu-rave' went out of fashion?

ReputationRep:
    Wrote about Skream's latest album on my blog. Link in sig.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Riderz)
    More often than not it doesnt follow a 4/4 time signature.
    Please show me a dubstep tune that isn't in 4/4

ReputationRep:
    /////////

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Baii93)
    Please show me a dubstep tune that isn't in 4/4
    I get confuzed when people say 4x4 cos I always think of 4x4 bassline. Dubstep is kick on the first, snare on the 3rd almost always (of course there's exceptions) bassline is kick, snare, kick, snare.... hence 4 beats in four 1/4 bars. In case my maths is wrong.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.