Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kew)
    I think you're just determined to carry on believing that Christians aren't sincere in their faith.
    Jews didn't celebrate birthdays, and Orthodox Jews still don't (neither did Puritans, early Protestants and other Christian denominations, for this very reason), it was considered a pagan affection. As a religious Jew living 2000 years ago Jesus certainly wouldn't have celebrated his and would probably have been appalled to see his followers doing so. If Christmas-celebrating Christians aren't insincere in their beliefs then they're certainly ill-informed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Conz_soappy)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNf-P_5u_Hw

this explains alot and may make you wonder if it is even true the whole Christian bit ....but remeber this is one side of the story told and well it explains basically that 25th is when the sun starts to rise in the night again and days become longer and from the 22 or 23rd it stays at the lowest for 3 Days thus signifying his rebirth after 3 days
    Hmm good words!! Anyway dont you think it should be celebrated at the right time?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shadow99)
    The date isn't important, it's the celebrations that count.
    how could you say that! its a day to mark jesuses birthday! some people take him as god so it is important!!

ReputationRep:
    It marks the beginning of one of the 8 festival weeks in the ancient pagan calendar, each symbolising a different part of the cycle of the seasons. The first and last night of the festival weeks were the most prominently marked, and many of these celebrations can still be seen in Northern Europe and around the world to this day.

The 8 weeks were roughly:

first week of Feb (now Mardi Gras and Pancake Day)
    last week of March (now Easter)
    first week of May (now May Day)
    last week in June (now Midsummer)
    first week of August (no modern remnant)
    last week in September (now harvest festival)
    first week in November (now Halloween and Bonfire night)
    last week of December (now Christmas and New Years)

It's amazing how closely the modern traditions mirror the ancient Pagan celebrations without anyone really noticing this fact. Just ignore the Christianity nonsense, thats just a red herring. Our calendar is probably our closest link to our ancient cultural history.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drunk Punx)
    The Romans brought Christianity (damn them) to England
    Well, putting aside the minor point that England didn't exist then, that's inaccurate. Christianity was in Britain whilst the Roman establishment were still feeding Christians to the lions. The British Church was eventually incorporated into the Roman church.

ReputationRep:
    hmm I celebrate cause of the message that its spreads and it brings us closer and makes people be helpful to others (most of the time) and its just a good way to end the year ....I dont really believe in religions anymore so no not at all to your question

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mujahid_e3)
    Why do people celebrate christmas on 25th even though they know Jesus wasnt born on december 25th?? This dont really make sense and is a bit weird really. Just proves that people are not into religion and their faith, they just do what they want
    Zeitgeist

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNf-P_5u_Hw

ReputationRep:
    In Germany we celebrate Christmas on 24 th of December. Santa Claus does not go through the chimney here. He comes knocking on the door throught thge fields or just puts the presents under the Christmas tree. Bad children get some branches of a tree, which are tied, to remind them to better be good ones next time. I think that it is the same with the cole in England. We don´t have stockings here.

I wonder what British families without a fireplace do. Where do they put their stockings or do they use alternatives?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    Well, putting aside the minor point that England didn't exist then, that's inaccurate. Christianity was in Britain whilst the Roman establishment were still feeding Christians to the lions. The British Church was eventually incorporated into the Roman church.
    Damn, I knew I was wrong on something but I couldn't think of what. Probably shouldn't post when I'm that tired.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cynthi007)
    In Germany we celebrate Christmas on 24 th of December. Santa Claus does not go through the chimney here. He comes knocking on the door throught thge fields or just puts the presents under the Christmas tree. Bad children get some branches of a tree, which are tied, to remind them to better be good ones next time. I think that it is the same with the cole in England. We don´t have stockings here.

I wonder what British families without a fireplace do. Where do they put their stockings or do they use alternatives?
    My family has always had a fireplace but we've always hung up our stockings on our bedposts. I thought that was normal? I always presumed that hanging stockings by the fireplace was an American thing.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.