Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Frightened Rabbit - The Winter of Mixed Drinks

ReputationRep:
    The best was: Kanye West - My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy

But I also enjoyed :
    * Janelle Monaé - The ArchAndroid (Suites II and III)
    It was great and it wasn't what I was expecting after Tightrope came out, it was a really nice blend of soulful stuff, funk and electro. It felt like it should have been what Erykah Badu's New Amerykah Part Two... should have sounded more like, not to say she is a carbon copy.
    * Drake - Thank Me Later
    I thought it was pretty nice compared to the flack he's been getting. I appreciate the difference he's bringing even though I didn't warm to him at first. I love Fancy, Over & Up All Night.
    * Trey Songs - Passion, Pain & Pleasure

ReputationRep:
    Paloma Faith may be one of the most beautiful women in the world but she is also an excellent singer and I love her album a lot, though I cannot quite recall the title of her album. Lovely stuff from a lovely woman.

Otherwise, I enjoyed 'Man Alive' by Everything Everything a lot. I still do, in fact.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TotalLifeForever)
    Idiots, xx was last year. Just cos you're all very far behind.

Close between Kanye, Foals and Beach House. All very good albums. Laura Marling deserves an honourable mention too.

Laura Marlings album is gorgeous, as is the foals.
    Lissies album is incredible though, as is The Hurts and Plan Bs is brilliant aswell.
    Example has some brilliant tracks on his,too. THere is also some serious guff there, but some of them are class

ReputationRep:
    Listening to Foals' latest album while playing GT earlier I realised it was very good, though they get - points for not having Paloma Faith on their album.

Fun fact: she mentions a supposed ancestor of mine on one song of hers. Hell, we are practically going out alreayd.

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to say Recovery, because it was lyrically better than My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy, although Kanye produced better. Kanye comes second, but I also spent a lot of time listening to Thank Me Later and B.o.B's album.

ReputationRep:
    The Chaos by The Futureheads

ReputationRep:
    Warpaint - The Fool
    Arcade Fire - The Suburbs
    The National - High Violet

ReputationRep:
    Broken Bells - Broken Bells
    Big Boi - Sir Lucious Left Foot: The Son of Chico Dusty
    Gorillaz - Plastic Beach

Haven't listened to that many albums from this year tbh. Also really surprised more people haven't mentioned The Suburbs by Arcade Fire. I haven't listened to it enough to comment but all these critics seem to be naming it as their best album of the year.

ReputationRep:
    Kanye West - My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy :sogood:

ReputationRep:
    Pendulum - Immersion
    Arcade Fire - The Suburbs
    Gorillaz - Plastic Beach
    Eminem - Recovery
    The Drums - The Drums

ReputationRep:
    Beach House - Teen Dream

ReputationRep:
    Idiots, xx was last year. Just cos you're all very far behind.

Close between Kanye, Foals and Beach House. All very good albums. Laura Marling deserves an honourable mention too.
    so many late people with the xx! but i have to thank bbc switch on radio 1 for interviewing them last year, a good while before they released the album. the DJs never seem to have talked about it since

Foals and Beach House definitely. and Laura Marling deserves a massive honourable mention - favourite album by far for me

just found out the other day James Blake went to my school, aaahhh!

ReputationRep:
    The suburbs any day of the week.

ReputationRep:
    Chase and Status - More Than Alot

ReputationRep:
    Wild Nothing - Gemini

I LOVE this band. Woo.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jasminge)
    so many late people with the xx! but i have to thank bbc switch on radio 1 for interviewing them last year, a good while before they released the album. the DJs never seem to have talked about it since

Foals and Beach House definitely. and Laura Marling deserves a massive honourable mention - favourite album by far for me

just found out the other day James Blake went to my school, aaahhh!
    I saw the xx last year (2009...so not last year) at underage, in a room of about 50 people, so it's my claim to fame of knowing them before they were famous! Typical indie style :P

Laura Marling's album is incredible, put it as number two on my favourite albums behind Foals. And Bombay Bicycle Club are up there too.

That's so cool!

ReputationRep:
    I saw the xx last year (2009...so not last year) at underage, in a room of about 50 people, so it's my claim to fame of knowing them before they were famous! Typical indie style :P

Laura Marling's album is incredible, put it as number two on my favourite albums behind Foals. And Bombay Bicycle Club are up there too.

That's so cool!
    Oh, my god! that sounds so cool. i was supposed to go and see them at underage, too (because i had heard them on the radio :P) but TOTALLY forgot while i was there - was probably at some crap band like hadouken was also supposed to see marina and the diamonds. both big regrets. and now underage has turned all mainstream so it's unlikely you'll find another future xx/marina/laura marling (2007?) act :mad:

hmm, bombay haven't really been doing it for me lately, don't know why but hoping the next electric album will win me back and remind me why i loved them so much!

EDIT: heyy, why the 'neg rep', huh? if it's cos of the bombay thing, it's just an opinion and if you really like them, it's not like i don't hear what you hear - i used obsessed with them! overlistened? i dunno. i still like them and all but it feels as though their music doesn't really live up to the stuff i've been listening to recently :/ ( i am VERY bored :P)

ReputationRep:
    My beautiful dark twisted fantasy
    Surfing the void

or A thousand Suns

ReputationRep:
    Defamation of Strickland Banks - Plan B
    There isn't a bad song on that album.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.