The Student Room Group

The Norwegian Society

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by Luceria
"Norwegians are the best foreign English-speakers in the world, according to new results from the English Proficiency Index."

Hoho
http://theforeigner.no/pages/news/updated-norway-top-in-english/

1. Norway
2. The Netherlands
3. Denmark
4. Sweden
5. Finland.

Yeah, I can believe that. Surprised at The Netherlands being in second place though, when I visited I didn't remember them being that great generally. Although Dutch is supposed to be the most closely related language to English.
Reply 101
Original post by Luceria
:eek: Haha. Brilliant.

Strange. I've always heard the Dutch were really good. Hmm. But yay for Nordic countries.
Isn't that Frisian?

Depends, I met a few people who really couldn't understand even very basic things and others who were very fluent, most were pretty good but a step down from the Nordic countries.

Yes, I fail. *facepalm* Although I think Dutch is ranked pretty highly in similarity.
Reply 102
Original post by Luceria
I just love that the parliament passed the Data Retention Directive. Really, jolly good. We're all so happy about it. :rolleyes:

Storing all information about you for 6 months! Great. Oh yes, it will definitely stop those nasty criminals. Not.

Stortinget or the British Parliament? I never watch the news.
Reply 103
Original post by Luceria
Yeah.. I reckon it's Dutch after Frisian. Dutch is such a strange language.
In a way, it sounds strangely like Norwegian. Though it doesn't really sound like Norwegian at all. If I'm not paying attention, it can sound rather like Norwegian. Once I even understood a couple of Dutch sentences.

Hmm, I never really thought of it like that. I suppose so, Norwegian and Dutch are both Germanic languages so there's bound to be a lot similarities.
Reply 104
Original post by Luceria
Stortinget. I don't like it! It's more the principle.

Yes, there are similarities. But there is just something strange about it!

Have you ever watched a Disney film in Norwegian? I guess not. But for all my nagging about how much I love English. I actually prefer the Norwegian versions.
Though that's probably because I grew up with them. Disney during the 90's was great. No... Not so much.

Lion King, Pocahontas, Mulan etc.. :^_^:

Yeah, that sounds more like something the British government would do (they probably already do). It's a slippery slope, for sure - information is easily abused.

No, but I have Mumintrollet in Swedish on DVD :biggrin: . I think Scandinavian languages (not so much Danish) sound very nice and fitting in cartoons, nice in general infact (again, not so much Danish, haha).
Reply 105
Original post by Luceria
I think they have it in Britain. Or maybe not. Anyway, not a good idea!

I used to love Mummitrollet! Swedish and Norwegian works when it comes to cartoons. But definitely not Danish :tongue:.. I saw a clip of Pippi Langstrømpe, the English dubbed version on Youtube. And it was horrible! I grew up watching Pippi in Swedish. Any other language sounds very wrong. Swedish makes the whole show.

Childhood nostalgia.. I miss the 90's, haha.

Pochahontas :biggrin::

Yeah, I never liked that cartoon - I think it was intended mainly for girls though so that's probably why.

Original post by Luceria
This was my favourite show when I was little though. But I reckon it scarred me for life. It's awfully dramatic. Animals getting killed left and right! Haha.
But it's a million times better than the rubbish they send these days.

I used to watch that every day after school, I'd completely forgotten about it. It was very dramatic. I guess it would be pronounced "Farting Wood" in Norway? Funny (now I've just massively lowered the tone of the thread, hah).
Reply 106
Original post by Luceria
I just love that the parliament passed the Data Retention Directive. Really, jolly good. We're all so happy about it. :rolleyes:

Storing all information about you for 6 months! Great. Oh yes, it will definitely stop those nasty criminals. Not.

"Please rate some other members before rating this member again."

Argh.
Reply 107
Original post by Luceria
I don't really think it's mainly intended for girls (that's a silly reason to dislike a film anyway, haha. I don't give a damn if a film is intended for boys or girls). Mulan is better though. I never watched "Beauty and the Beast" when I was younger. First time I watched it was three years ago. Some people seem to find that weird!

In Norway it's called "Flukten fra Dyreskogen" (and it was one of the few shows in nynorsk!). Most people would probably say "farting". Stupid th sound that doesn't exist in the Norwegian language. Took me ages to learn how to say "think" properly!

Well, it isn't a silly reason if you're a six-year-old boy, haha. Afterall, girls are the number one carriers of cooties (jentelus). :biggrin:

I think English and Icelandic are the only living languages with the two 'th' sounds now. It seems Scandinavian languages naturally drop sounds for some reason, the 'w' sound was dropped really early (proto-Norse had it, Old Norse lost it).
Reply 108
Original post by Luceria
Oh I remember. You could scare a boy to death at that age by threatening to kiss him:tongue:. Still have fond memories of watching girls chasing terrified boys.

Why must it not exist?:frown: Haha. I mean, we used to have it. I've gotten better though! But still a few issues. Then there is Z and S. And the W and V. My English teacher always went on about those.

I vaguely remember that, probably too traumatized to have a clear memory, hahah.

You'd love proto-Norse then: ek wiwaz after woduride witadahalaiban worahto mez woduride staina thrijoz dohtriz dalidun arbija sijostez arbijano. <---- From the 5th century Norwegian Tune runestone. Crazy language :biggrin: .
Reply 109
Original post by Luceria
Would have been a lot easier! Somehow I managed to achieve the highest grade in oral English (*coughnottobragcough*). But that damn th sound
sure did complicate things for several years.

proto-Norse... What? :s-smilie: That's the most crazy language I've seen. Haha

Yup, pretty crazy - that's the original Scandinavian language, and it was standardised throughout the whole of Scandinavia (before Norwegian and Icelandic broke off from Swedish and Danish). Really interesting though. I don't what it'd be called in Norwegian, fornskandinavisk perhaps?
Reply 110
Original post by Luceria
Maybe.. I've never really heard about it before. I think. But it's rather interesting!

I remember when Cartoon Network was very language confused many years ago. Switched between Nordic languages and English. I could watch it in English, Norwegian, Danish and Swedish. But Finnish isn't a Scandinavian
language, and I don't understand a word. So yes.. Haha. Though it did change back.

Sadly it's barely attested, probably because people used to smash up runestones and use them for building materials *shakes fist*. And the inscribed Golden Horns of Gallehus were stolen and melted down :frown: . Really makes me angry, actually.

They showed Finnish language-dubbed cartoons in Norway? I bet their ratings went down drastically everytime. They must have been very confused. I know "terve" (hello) and that's it :s: .
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 111
Original post by Luceria
There is a fake runestone at Avaldsnes . Really? That's terrible.

Yes. Which is just insane really. It's not a Scandinavian language (and Finland is not in Scandinavia!) . So it's not like anyone understood anything at all. Haha. Very confused indeed.

Cool, I wonder who made it. There is a Swedish guy who carves and paints runestones today, I can't remember his name though - I think it was Ulf. I used to have his site bookmarked but I can't find it now. Yeah, it's sad and many runestones are found being used as parts of walls.

Bizarre. I bet it wasn't person from the Nordic area who decided it, probably an American.
Reply 112
Original post by Luceria
I'm not sure, but it's at the Viking farm. Would have been cool with a random runestone out in the wild though. I remember when I was 11 and we learnt to write our names in runes at school. My name is luckily short! I think I've said this before. But we also got to be Vikings for a day on the Viking farm. Dressed up etc. Hard work, but fun.

And one of the people working there very kindly told my 11 year old self that brunettes weren't worth much when it came to slavery. Haha. I think it was that anyway. As he pointed at my blonde friend, and apparently she would have been worth a lot more.

Wouldn't surprise me!

Which viking centre is that? Avaldsnes? Sounds really cool.

Haha, must have been a relief - you can safely rest assured that you won't be enslaved by vikings. Actually, I wouldn't really know if that's true or not, I'll have to ask a lecturer the next time term starts again. It sounds like something a reenactor would say because it 'sounds about right' :rolleyes: .
Reply 113
Original post by Luceria
This was my favourite show when I was little though. But I reckon it scarred me for life. It's awfully dramatic. Animals getting killed left and right! Haha.
But it's a million times better than the rubbish they send these days.

OMG amazing. I loved this show and the book :awesome: The bit with the Butcher Bird and the baby mice...:frown:
Reply 114
I get the 18th - 26th April off, quite nice!

Schools in the UK normally have 2 weeks off at Easter, but we don't have all the crazy fridager in May and June like you guys do.
Reply 115
Original post by Luceria
Lovely.

Yay for random fridager :awesome:. I can only think of two in May though. Are there even any in June? I don't know. Most of them are for &quot;religious&quot; reasons, but hardly anyone
remembers why.

I'm rather sick of hearing about the royal wedding. They're just two people getting married. Weddings bore me to death!

Pinsedag or something?
Also Jesusgoingtoheaven Day.
Reply 116
Original post by Becca
Pinsedag or something?
Also Jesusgoingtoheaven Day.

Pinse is 49 days after Easter, so it's not always in May. Like this year, it's in June :wink:

Edit: same goes for Jesusgoingtoheaven Day (as in, depends on Easter) :tongue:
Jag tänker skapa ett svenskt samhälle här TSR, men medlemmar ska kanske vara mindre än dem detta samhället.
När börjar påsklovet i Norge?
Original post by Luceria
Påsklovet? Påskeferien? 18 April tror jeg? Er ikke helt sikker.

Jeg spammer denne tråden. Uten meg hadde den nok vært død. Haha. Uff.

ven es svensdag ?
Original post by Luceria
Svensdag? Hva?

ulrikakakakaka-royaume uni ,nil points.

Quick Reply

Latest