Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spidergareth)
    Smartphone/laptop note taking is permissible, ipad note taking is not. I do not know why I feel this so very strongly, but for some reason I have much more attachment to the cause of ipad/hipster hatred than i do to any political, religious or nationalist sentiments.

Its very strange but whenever i look at some horn rimmed glasses and cardigan wearing hipster using an ipad in my lecture I feel a burning hatred unlike anything i have ever experienced before. When I felt the emotion of love for the first time, in my mind I said 'this must be what love feels like'. Likewise, when i saw the 3 hipsters for the first time I thought 'wow, this must be what deep seated prejudiced hate feels like'.

I really don't know why but I just find people who buy a very expensive device and use it to read or take notes utterly despicable. Something about the ipad as well, kindles and other tablet devices do not invite the same hatred.
    Have you used one at all?

ReputationRep:
    I "sampled" one at PC world, and they are really, really not worth the money at all. There are cheaper devices out there that can do the same thing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by de_monies)
    Definitely, definitely not. I can't see how you'd justify spending around £700 just to read books. A kindle or other device would be better suited for yourself. You can also get the $100 tablets(+tax's). If it's just for reading then they're probably not too bad.
    But the iPad costs no where near £700.
    And you can get $100 tablets, but in general they are awful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spidergareth)
    Its not just the mac thing. Its the 'look at me I can spend 500 pounds on a big touchy screen and use it in lectures. Pen and paper would do the job just fine but I will use this to show how cool I am'.
    lol.. Why is taking down notes to save on storing paper so bad? Isn't that the reason people use computers to take down notes?

ReputationRep:
    I don't know why people hate apple and apple users so much.
    Nothing wrong with using pen and paper but if you have an iPad then why not use it ?

ReputationRep:
    I don't hate Apple or anybody who uses their products.

I just dont see the point in the iPad and why it appeals to so many people :confused:

I would rather save the little extra and purchase a far superior machine.

People are forgetting that once they purchase the iPad they are more than likely going to purchase the keyboard as the touchscreen for typing is going to be much slower. This will again drive up costs, plus the other extras. It may be fine for taking notes but I would find it rather annoying. Its simple enough to take notes on an iPhone (if you have a contract already) or a personal USB note taker that would cost a fraction of the price. For the price of an iPad you could buy a netbook with more memory, a dictaphone to record lectures and a USB digital personal note taker.

http://www.microdirect.co.uk/Home/Pr...tal-Note-Taker

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...&creative=6738

Its a lot easier to jot down the notes on paper (as we're used to jotting onto paper, its natural) which get saved onto a USB and then sort them out later on the PC into listed notes. I find note taking on a touchscreen device to be a pain in the ass to be perfectly honest.

I just can't see how anyone can justify the price?

You can get the majority of the needed features on other devices which in total will cost less or, you can pay a bit extra and get a far superior machine in a MBP.

Even a netbook + USB Note Taker would be cheaper than an iPad and still do the same job, plus you'd have the keyboard already, bigger hard drive and memory and a lot more at your disposal as you'd probably have Windows XP. Plus some netbooks have bluetooth and can play Flash without any issues at all.

People only buy iPads because they think they look cool. Why would I hate them? I'm not going to hate them just because they choose to waste their money. I just know I'd spend that money on items that are much better.

I'll probably purchase a dictaphone and jot notes on a piece of paper of the very important things that I may need to make reference too quickly without listening to the whole audio clip - at least with a recording you have everything the lecturer said.

I bet Apple are laughing as they've sold millions of iPads already just because of the brand. Quite shocking to be honest.

Whereas you can justify buying a MBP due to Mac OSX and the valuable designing tools it has as its disposal that PC's do not have, you can't justify the iPad at all.

I trialed an iPad for 2 weeks and it was so basic in what it did for so much money, it was laughable. MBP for me, even if I don't take it to lectures. I'm not image concious so I'll be happy with a dictaphone and paper and pen.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WelshBluebird)
    But the iPad costs no where near £700.
    And you can get $100 tablets, but in general they are awful.
    The "high end" version does. I say "high end" as it's not very advanced at all. The cheapest tablet available costs £430 and is not worth the money for what your paying.

At that rate, you may as well purchase an Asus 1001P or a 1005PE or the new 1015PEM. These both also have terrific battery life(One of the iPad's selling point)

ReputationRep:
    The "high end" version does. I say "high end" as it's not very advanced at all. The cheapest tablet available costs £430 and is not worth the money for what your paying.

At that rate, you may as well purchase an Asus 1001P or a 1005PE or the new 1015PEM. These both also have terrific battery life(One of the iPad's selling point)
    The iPad actually has selling points other than curing your vanity :eek: News to me :eek:

The only thing iPad's having going for them is the brand and Apple maniacs.

If Apple put a half eaten kebab with the Apple logo on it on the market there are people out there that would buy it. Damn they are crazy.

Its usually the Tory followers with money to waste that purchase them. Saying;

" Look at me guys. I got this ultra stylish device on the tube and I have internet access via 3G. This is cool dude. Its so good, I just blew half a grand on it. I actually, unbelievably, just booked my tube ticket on this bad boy ".

:facepalm:

Weirdo's.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jb9191)
    For the price of an iPad you could buy a netbook with more memory, a dictaphone to record lectures and a USB digital personal note taker.

Wow. I didn't even know such devices like USB note takers existed. Not to mention, there's this one as well(looks like the Microdirect one, but cheaper)
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/NEWLink-Digi.../dp/B001FB6WOQ

I suppose the downside would be that it would mean that your handwriting would still have to be legible(ish), and won't convert it to a computer font such as Times New Roman, Calibri, or Verdana?

The upside is that it won't annoy any one else in the class(unless they are all typing using computers as well that is)

It is quite an interesting invention.

ReputationRep:
    Wow. I didn't even know such devices like USB note takers existed. Not to mention, there's this one as well(looks like the Microdirect one, but cheaper)
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/NEWLink-Digi.../dp/B001FB6WOQ

I suppose the downside would be that it would mean that your handwriting would still have to be legible(ish), and won't convert it to a computer font such as Times New Roman, Calibri, or Verdana?

The upside is that it won't annoy any one else in the class(unless they are all typing using computers as well that is)

It is quite an interesting invention.

Yes they are very good. Some of the newer ones allow you to convert it into a font and some do it automatically for you. I wouldn't reccommend the automatic conversion as I'd want to check them for errors first before converting so I would know where to make ammendments.

I've used an older model in a meeting at work and it was very good but had less memory than what is available now. So I'm thinking of getting 1 for university to use in conjunction with a dictaphone.

Then I have both written notes and audio notes to refer back to, if needs be.

I love the mass amount of justifications people try to use for the iPad, when the reality is they are all false.

ReputationRep:

The point that you (and other people) are missing is that the target market for an iPad, and that for a netbook do not totally overlap. There are some things (namely watching media) that a tablet will thrash a netbook in. Of course, thats IMO, but I am speaking from experience in my annoyance at my old netbook when watching stuff on it. With note taking, it depends what subject you are doing. For courses that have a heavy symbol element (like Maths), then a netbook is pretty useless for taking notes. But I do agree other alternatives like the usb pen things are better than the iPad for notes.

ReputationRep:
    There are some things (namely watching media) that a tablet will thrash a netbook in.
    No, it will not. The only and the only reasons why I upgraded from my Asus 1005PE was because of the larger screen available on my ultraportable, and also Kaspersky was a resource hog on the N450 CPU. Saying that, there are now dual core netbooks that can handle 1080p media

Of course, thats IMO, but I am speaking from experience in my annoyance at my old netbook when watching stuff on it.
    Netbooks have really came on in the past couple of years. They are now very good little tools to use
    With note taking, it depends what subject you are doing. For courses that have a heavy symbol element (like Maths), then a netbook is pretty useless for taking notes.
    I agree with this. It is possible, though it can be quite time consuming

But I do agree other alternatives like the usb pen things are better than the iPad for notes.
    Indeed. I may get one(especially if it converts to a computer font for you) and I may not.I like typing, however if most people on my course are not typing then I would be quite inclined to get a USB note taking device and possibly a dictaphone (as not to annoy others)

ReputationRep:
    No, it will not. The only and the only reasons why I upgraded from my Asus 1005PE was because of the larger screen available on my ultraportable, and also Kaspersky was a resource hog on the N450 CPU. Saying that, there are now dual core netbooks that can handle 1080p media
    I dont mean in terms of power. I mean it terms of experience.
    I tried watching video on my netbook, but got so fed up with the general experience of it, I ended up just using my iPhone instead. Despite the fact its got a smaller screen etc, the physical experience of watching video on it is better than using a netbook. Especially in bed, or on a train etc.

ReputationRep:
    Fair enough. That is one point that you have over a netbook.However saying so, this feature alone is not really worth the extra money, especially as there are devices out there with better specifications, and some newer devices also have 3G capabilities for a cheaper price, whilst also retaining a high battery life(one of iPad's selling points)

ReputationRep:
    I've received an ipad for christmas and I'm clueless on what I can do with it. Anyone can tell me briefly what stuff can I do on it apart from music/videos?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jb9191)
    I don't hate Apple or anybody who uses their products.

I just dont see the point in the iPad and why it appeals to so many people :confused:

I would rather save the little extra and purchase a far superior machine.

People are forgetting that once they purchase the iPad they are more than likely going to purchase the keyboard as the touchscreen for typing is going to be much slower. This will again drive up costs, plus the other extras. It may be fine for taking notes but I would find it rather annoying. Its simple enough to take notes on an iPhone (if you have a contract already) or a personal USB note taker that would cost a fraction of the price. For the price of an iPad you could buy a netbook with more memory, a dictaphone to record lectures and a USB digital personal note taker.

Its a lot easier to jot down the notes on paper (as we're used to jotting onto paper, its natural) which get saved onto a USB and then sort them out later on the PC into listed notes. I find note taking on a touchscreen device to be a pain in the ass to be perfectly honest.

I just can't see how anyone can justify the price?

You can get the majority of the needed features on other devices which in total will cost less or, you can pay a bit extra and get a far superior machine in a MBP.

Even a netbook + USB Note Taker would be cheaper than an iPad and still do the same job, plus you'd have the keyboard already, bigger hard drive and memory and a lot more at your disposal as you'd probably have Windows XP. Plus some netbooks have bluetooth and can play Flash without any issues at all.

People only buy iPads because they think they look cool. Why would I hate them? I'm not going to hate them just because they choose to waste their money. I just know I'd spend that money on items that are much better.

I'll probably purchase a dictaphone and jot notes on a piece of paper of the very important things that I may need to make reference too quickly without listening to the whole audio clip - at least with a recording you have everything the lecturer said.

I bet Apple are laughing as they've sold millions of iPads already just because of the brand. Quite shocking to be honest.

Whereas you can justify buying a MBP due to Mac OSX and the valuable designing tools it has as its disposal that PC's do not have, you can't justify the iPad at all.

I trialed an iPad for 2 weeks and it was so basic in what it did for so much money, it was laughable. MBP for me, even if I don't take it to lectures. I'm not image concious so I'll be happy with a dictaphone and paper and pen.
    I think the iPad is basically marketed to very casual users, and not a seasoned computer user. For people who social network, an iPad or other tablet is ideal. the fact it's very portable is a plus also.

For taking notes, well I think it's *******s for that. It doesn't have many Apps close to MS Word (I despise MS products in general but MS Office is the **** as far as office apps go), so IMO it's wasted in that regard.

ReputationRep:
    It depends... Are you a **** with more money than sense?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rajandkwameali)
    I think the iPad is basically marketed to very casual users, and not a seasoned computer user. For people who social network, an iPad or other tablet is ideal. the fact it's very portable is a plus also.

Even for social networking it is ridiculous. Who in their right mind pays that much money to social network :confused: ? You can social network on a phone or iPod Touch and its more discreet. If someone jumped on a bus with an iPad and was on FB I'd think they were stupid. I also think most netbooks are more portable than the iPad to be honest. The iPads screen is always at risk if it is dropped whereas a netbooks screen is hidden when its shut. The iPad is taking massive advantage of image conscious people with more money than sense, as someone else has said.

For taking notes, well I think it's *******s for that. It doesn't have many Apps close to MS Word (I despise MS products in general but MS Office is the **** as far as office apps go), so IMO it's wasted in that regard.
    Yes the iPad in my opinion is a waste of time for note taking as you can get numerous different tools to do the same job at a lower price.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hasan)
    Have you used one at all?
    I have in a shop. It was okay, but overpriced and largely depended on novelty value.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by destination unknown)
    I've received an ipad for christmas and I'm clueless on what I can do with it. Anyone can tell me briefly what stuff can I do on it apart from music/videos?
    My point exactly! It makes the internet pretty and has some nice apps, but other than that it is a useless device that does nothing better than a laptop.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.