Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How has mental illness affected your life? Watch

Announcements

(Original post by fire2burn)
    For some people they stop completely thanks to medication, I know a girl who attends the same place as me and for her the antipsychotics have worked and she's really doing well towards recovering and getting everything back on track. For me though despite being on the highest dose of quetiapine I still get days where I hear them, mostly at night time when I'm trying to get to sleep. There's no background noise to distract you so you end up noticing them more.

When I'm not on medication I get other hallucinations such as seeing ghostly shadow people following me everywhere, and other things like objects changing size/shape and moving towards me. Those sorts of things though are controlled pretty well by the medication. And so far as I'm aware I'll probably have to take the medication for life, in the past when I've stopped taking it my symptoms have come back.
    That's bad that you still experience symptoms even when on meds. To what extent does this affect your everyday life? Are you able to go to uni, have a job, have relationships?

Is there any potential triggers which you're able to identify which started this whole thing? What's the impact been on your family too?

Sorry for all the questions, hope you don't mind

(Original post by londonboi88)
    Just accept them and realise everyone has those thoughts but OCD makes them appear worse.
    Really and truly you need CBT because its difficult to explain over the internet, but to summarize you could try imagining yourself carrying out those thoughts.. Everytime you have thoses thoughts just counsciously amplfy them. ie.. intrunsive thought.. "stabbing mother" you get scared "why am i thinking about it" so instead just ampfly it and continue with stabbing mother, chopping her, eating her, etc think the worst of the worst, until you forget about the intrusive thought. Then continue whatever you're doing or start on something fun.. The point is to desenstise you from those thoughts.
    Also importantly what i've learned is i get intrusive thoughts when im really bored.
    So try to make a note of when you have those thoughts to try identify a pattern.

My suggestion is try to get help as soon as because CBT is really helpfull on young people..
    Hey man cheers for the helpful post. Have you had OCD and Anxiety CBT treatment yourself? You seem to know what you're on about. IF you have had treatment, please could you tell me more about it? That's if you don't mind.

ReputationRep:
    My depression's made me a lot more care-free and determined, which has mostly been a good thing, but also bad because it means when I get it into my head that I don't want to go to a lecture/seminar for whatever reason, then I won't go. Then my anxiety makes me really embarrassed about going in and facing my lecturers, meaning that I don't want to go in again...it's a pretty bad cycle. Thankfully it's one that doesn't happen very often and I'm otherwise very happy after finishing my counselling in the summer

It hasn't really affected my life majorly, just my perception of it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    How did you deal with your trichotillomania? Although not diagnosed by a doctor (as it's not really necessary, the symptoms are pretty obvious) I pull the hairs out of my arms, eyebrows and the back of my head near my neck. Any tips would be great!
    Hey I used to pull out my hair a bit when I was younger and recently over the last year (which has been stressful) ive started doing it again...its not really bad, I do it on the hair underneath at the back of my head by my neck, about an inch and a half of my hair width ways is really short (i have long hair), and i do it on the top of my head. I tie it in a knot and pull it out, some time sunconsciously, sometimes not, cause I find it relaxes me..is that weird ??? Is that even trich or me being weird?! lol x
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    I have been treated for mental health issues since I was 18, but even before that I had anxiety and eating problems.
    I went through a lot of years in some kind of bubble really, I got through uni and passed, but my life was pretty much led by the fact I was mentally ill. It had an impact on my social work course, which I didn't finish, and how people viewed me.
    I am 27 now, diagnosed with bipolar disorder. I am taking a variety of medications, but in general feel the most 'normal' and stable I have ever felt. I actually want to fight it, when many times in the past that wasn't the case.
    I have seen a lot of professionals, some a lot better than others, but even with all the help in the world I believe that a big part of it is needing to reach the place in yourself where you are ready to change, because otherwise you will be resisting any sort of help and may end up doing all sorts of things so you don't have to face it.

Hey :-)

Just wondered if all you guys could help me out...

About two years I go, I developed an...well I supose it was an eating disorder (I never got treatment).. Im not even sure how it started. I guess it made me fell good, like I had something if you know what I mean, I know that sounds pathetic but :/ I had bulimia and then after a while it inda of turned into what would have been anorexia. (If I hadn't of been found out I think it would have got serious). The whole thing lasted about a year but it has been in my mind constantly. Like some days I can eat so much junk, and then some days I'm almost daring myself not to eat. and if I don't I feel good. I have developed what I am pretty sure is depression over the last 7 months (due to stressful times) and now when I'm upset I make myself sick occasionally. It makes me feel good and awful at the hard time... I don't even know if it is an ED cause I know I'm not necessarily fat, but it is the thrill of losing weight and being in control.

With the what I think is depression I feel like this:

- some weeks I can be fine.
    - Overly sensitive.
    - Feel guilty about stupid small things.
    - This feeling of bad adrenaline/guilt/weight in my stomach which is sometimes accompanied by a lump in my throat - sometimes I get these feelings for no reason and sometimes over something really little.
    - Once I get one of these above moods I feel like I cannot be happy for the whole evening.
    -Feeling hopeless.
    -Overly tired or not sleeping well.

The main thing is the stomach feeling which I HATE.

I feel so confused cause I have never got a diagnosis of anything so I just feel like a bloody hypochrondriac and attention seeker.
    So confused :/ x

(Original post by You_Missed_a_Bit)
    Hey I used to pull out my hair a bit when I was younger and recently over the last year (which has been stressful) ive started doing it again...its not really bad, I do it on the hair underneath at the back of my head by my neck, about an inch and a half of my hair width ways is really short (i have long hair), and i do it on the top of my head. I tie it in a knot and pull it out, some time sunconsciously, sometimes not, cause I find it relaxes me..is that weird ??? Is that even trich or me being weird?! lol x
    How often do you pull your hair out? I sounds like you might have it, yeah. Do you feel like a compulsion to pull them when it's not subconscious? It's not weird, you wouldn't do it if you could!

ReputationRep:
    How often do you pull your hair out? I sounds like you might have it, yeah. Do you feel like a compulsion to pull them when it's not subconscious? It's not weird, you wouldn't do it if you could!
    every day...there is always loads of knots of hair on the floor!!x

ReputationRep:
    Sorry to quote you all, but just wondering how (if you guys suffer from intrusive thoughts) cope with them? For about 2 mnths now I've been having violent intrusive thoughts about stabbing family with a knife when I'm using one in the kitchen when chopping vegetables etc. I haven't been diagnosed with anything yet, but the doctor thinks it's anxiety and a bit of OCD. I never act on these thoughts obviously, but they are quite upsetting as you'd imagine!

Any advice welcomed please!
    All I do is try and distract myself, like getting a new hobby or doing school work, failing that I got to doctor and get help from them for meds.
    I hope your thoughts stop or your doctor can help you x

ReputationRep:
    Anyone take Atenolol or Adcal d3? Got chucked out my house too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neiljeff123)
    it has destroyed it
    How mate?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    One thing that's always puzzled me, is when people say they hear voices, is it like the sort of voice that's like your conscience, it sounds like your own voice like when you're thinking? Or is it like voices of other people you don't know? And are they voices that are so real like it's someone talking to you in real life?

What have you been diagnosed with if you don't mind me asking? How long have you had it for, and what age did it come on? :console:
    Different people will experience it differently. In my case it varies quite a lot and there are multiple voices, which is why everyone's had such a time trying to diagnose me. Even though they've now made a diagnosis (severe depression with psychotic symptoms), I can tell they still aren't quite sure whether they've got it right. Things aren't helped by the fact that the two psychiatrists I've seen in this country didn't agree :nah:

I can trace voices back to when I was 5 or 6. Some of my voices sound a bit like my conscience but are quite distinct from my conscience (in my mind anyway), some of them are other people's voices who I know, some are unfamiliar voices. Most of them speak English but one of them doesn't speak English (sounds a bit like Parseltongue) and some of them have screaming matches with each other where the words aren't identifiable at all. Most of them sound inside my head but some of them are external and sound like someone talking to me irl. I don't have much explanation for that :nah:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
    Different people will experience it differently. In my case it varies quite a lot and there are multiple voices, which is why everyone's had such a time trying to diagnose me. Even though they've now made a diagnosis (severe depression with psychotic symptoms), I can tell they still aren't quite sure whether they've got it right. Things aren't helped by the fact that the two psychiatrists I've seen in this country didn't agree :nah:

I can trace voices back to when I was 5 or 6. Some of my voices sound a bit like my conscience but are quite distinct from my conscience (in my mind anyway), some of them are other people's voices who I know, some are unfamiliar voices. Most of them speak English but one of them doesn't speak English (sounds a bit like Parseltongue) and some of them have screaming matches with each other where the words aren't identifiable at all. Most of them sound inside my head but some of them are external and sound like someone talking to me irl. I don't have much explanation for that :nah:
    Snappy The drugs don't work they just make you worse......
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lamps08)
    Snappy The drugs don't work they just make you worse......
    Yeah, that's what happened last time :mad: Hoping the new ones might work

ReputationRep:
    Erm depression certainly has.I used to have it quite severely (breaking down in tears randomly,sleeping and sleeping plus other stuff) and tbh I don't think I've ever really ''recovered'' from it. I don't feel excitement much and if I do it doesn't last long, and I'm never ''truly'' happy, also little things can upset me for days and days. I think I'll always be pre-disposed to it, but I've learnt to manage it a lot better and identify things that are bringing me down. I used to not be able to focus on things and would sleep a hell of a lot, or stay awake for hours on end, but I now I just have a few days feeling down and then start pulling myself together.
    This time of the year always makes me remember when I had it.

ReputationRep:
    I suffered from depression til I was about 15. I started self harming at around 11. It mainly just manifested itself in the cutting, and the series of really awful relationships, and the odd panic attack/food issue. And a mild alcohol problem.

Also I listened to a lot of Avril Lavigne, which I think demonstrates the tragicness of the situation.

But seriously, 5 years later and I'd challenge anyone who dismissed it as a 'teenage thing'. Unhappiness isn't an inevitability of adolescence, and I absolutely hate when people don't take young persons' depression seriously- it's so dangerous, and it's so serious, even if from the outside it can just look like a silly hormonal thing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lamps08)
    How mate?
    girlfriend broke up with me on christmas day and said realised she never loved me. Ive got bipolar and ocd. and it kicks off when i get lonely so its a bit of a struggle

ReputationRep:
    That's bad that you still experience symptoms even when on meds. To what extent does this affect your everyday life? Are you able to go to uni, have a job, have relationships?

Is there any potential triggers which you're able to identify which started this whole thing? What's the impact been on your family too?

Sorry for all the questions, hope you don't mind
    Well I had to leave uni in my final year, but I only have my dissertation to finish no exams so I'm just slowing going at it taking chunks out of it when I can Job wise it's not a worry, I have plenty of money (I like to hoard it rather than spend) and I live at home now where I see my local psychiatric services. Have a long term girlfriend, she's pretty understanding so when I get paranoid and don't speak to anyone for days at a time it's not a problem she's there for the days when I'm not feeling quite so bad

Triggers... well there's not being on medication Pretty big and major trigger if I stop medication it all returns within weeks. But what started it all off I have no idea, some people are just susceptible I think.

I don't mind the questions so don't worry

ReputationRep:
    Hey man cheers for the helpful post. Have you had OCD and Anxiety CBT treatment yourself? You seem to know what you're on about. IF you have had treatment, please could you tell me more about it? That's if you don't mind.
    yeah i had OCD for nearly 5 years and mine was more obsessive thoughts, intrunsive thinking etc.
    1st week envolved me writting what happens when i have those thoughts. Why i was anxious about it, rating the anxiety from 1 being (im bored) to 10 being full blown panic attack (im scared of death). I probably spent most of my time at around 6/7.
    I write what im anxious about it, how i feel. And some time later come and explain it logically when im calmer.
    Example you probably get the "what if..." thoughts, eg what if i start to hear voices 8, my life would be ruined, etc.. When i'm calmer on and offer a logical explaination, which in most of the time was because i had been reading a LOT about mental illness.

Then moved on to changing the way i thought, i.e "what if.." consciously think it over but "worser" think yes it can actually happening to me, and so what if it happens.

Its complicated to explain to but the basis of the whole thing it to think "so what..."
    Example of pure CBT: you're scared of dogs,
    See an police dog attack someone
    Play with an aggressive dog in its cage whilst you're outside wearing a protective suit.
    When you're comfortable, play in an enclosed space
    The dog gets out of the cage whilst you wearing the suit.
    Whe you're comfortable graudally remove your suit
    Play with the dog in an enclosed space
    All this someone talking to you explaining that they are some aggressive dogs, but they are very rare. Dogs will attack you if you behave in a certain manner. Also this dog that clearly knows how to attack is trained to attack criminals. Problem with OCD is we like to control everything, and behaving according to the "dog" does bode very well.

Thats the best way i could explain it.. feel free to pm if you want.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 4, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.