Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

'I didn't think of Iraqis as humans,' says U.S. soldier who raped 14-year-old girl Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)
    And all people are the same? Yeah, other soldiers go through the same training and are exposed to the same levels of violence. Are they all supposed to react in exactly the same ways to it? To say he's sick and twisted is true, to imply he's always been that way is wrong.
    I agree....I know a few soilders, they're not now since they quit like ten years ago.

Said they went into the army to try and do good.

One said he saw children burning being burnt alive in front of him by other people in the country...but they wern't allowed to open fire on those doing it unless they attacked the soilders...so had to stand there and watch it. They caved in of course and started shooting those doing it...but such things are so terrible to imagine...

ReputationRep:
    Read it with a Texas accent in mind. Wasn't surprised to find out that's where he's from.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by style)
    What's worse about this crime is the group nature of it, that 4 soilder's participated in the crime and 1 soilder watched on.
    I dont see how anyone perfectly sane could commit something so horrific...
    Insane? No...but I don't think he's of sound mind either...

Im glad it's being taken seriously though and he's being punished and not just let off because he is a soilder..

ReputationRep:
    Wow you are are all so angry, but none of you will do sh*t war is a war.
    Have we not heard this 10000000000000 times before, I don't condone the soldiers actions but is anyone genuinly suprised?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fragile_Illusions)
    So... this is what war does to people...
    Thats a lame excuse in my opinion. War does not make you sexually frustrated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silverbolt)
    You almost sound like this is a new thing, its not soldiers especially those who have seen a lot of combat have been raping and killing civilians for centuries if not eons. Even supposedly devout christian crusaders were not averse to the whole burn rape pillage and kill emotions. I dont pretend to fully understand it but its part of the human psyche. The difference between these days and those days is if you get caught (publically) you will be tried for it.
    no of course it isn't a new thing, it's just a massively overlooked thing ('it' being the influence army training has on an individual).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amani-puresapphire)
    Thats a lame excuse in my opinion. War does not make you sexually frustrated.
    Sorry, but how the hell do you know?

Ever been to war? Ever been a man?

ReputationRep:
    One of the horrors of war. This wouldn't happen if they been more strict with what they do with their soldiers and not give them so much power.

ReputationRep:
    Different sizes of groups get different names, A Corps is mahoosive, made up of several Armies, which in turn are made up of Battalions, each made up of several Regiments, 2-400 people per regiment, made up of Companies of 30-60 people.

And again, if we're going by the Vietnam incident as a marker, then we're looking at a total strength of about 1.8million people, so finding 30 nutjob people isn't exactly too much of a stretch of the imagination.
    yes, but that would be suggesting that another unit would have acted differently, whereas my argument is that, under the circumstances, many units who had undergone similar training would have acted in a similar way had they been in the same position.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by littleangel9914)
    well if all evil people like him were dead we wouldn't have a problem
    Also in the army you are required to kill people so are you really that shocked that around 30 evil murderous people could be put together i mean honestly why can't you accept some people are just plain evil
    because i don't believe there is such a thing as an 'evil' person. or a 'good' one, for that matter.

ReputationRep:
    And the terrorists in this war are who again?

ReputationRep:
    The way they choose to train soldiers in America results in this, it's probably helpful that the USA is such a highly Christian place.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yawn11)
    that's far too much of a generalization, so I have to disagree. In the army you're taught combat, it is kill or be killed. And there are usually battle fieldss or evacuated towns/cities where they take place. It is always taught that at all costs soldiers are to avoid killing civilians.
    when i said 'people,' i meant some people, not all people. sorry if that's what you thought i meant, i've been typing too quickly.

and they may be taught to avoid killing civilians, but they're also conditioned to see the other side as the enemy, rather than as individuals. they wouldn't be able to kill them otherwise. this is just amplified if you see one of them shooting your friend. and then there's the stress and constant terror, racism that is openly encouraged, the 'video game' mentality that can take over... the man who raped the little girl is a sick individual, but whether he would have been had he not been subject to such conditions is impossible to say, a person can only assume.

ReputationRep:
    Life imprisonment is not justice.

What I would have done is made him slowly saw his own leg off, and then make him eat it or else his other leg goes too.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, but how the hell do you know?

Ever been to war? Ever been a man?
    No I dont know. But are you telling me as a "man", if you were to kill people, see people die, you would feel the need to relieve yourself sexually? Oh wait, let me add, with a 14 year old? If im missing something, please do explain.

Im also assuming that at the time, he didnt know she was 14. Judging from her picture, without being told her age, I would have guessed she was 10..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lovely88)
    He raped and killed the family so therefore only the same punishment should be fair! A eye for eye..
    an eye for an eye makes the whole world blind.............

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MissFanatical)
    when i said 'people,' i meant some people, not all people. sorry if that's what you thought i meant, i've been typing too quickly.

and they may be taught to avoid killing civilians, but they're also conditioned to see the other side as the enemy, rather than as individuals. they wouldn't be able to kill them otherwise. this is just amplified if you see one of them shooting your friend. and then there's the stress and constant terror, racism that is openly encouraged, the 'video game' mentality that can take over... the man who raped the little girl is a sick individual, but whether he would have been had he not been subject to such conditions is impossible to say, a person can only assume.
    Considering the fact that sick individuals exist outside of the army, I'm willing to place the majority of the blame on the individual, rather than environmental influences.

ReputationRep:
    Who's great idea was it to set up a separate military court? What the **** is that? I'm just glad this guy got sent down in a civilian one but 9 times out 10, if you get tried in a military court, with a judge in the military and the jury in the military and people sitting in the hearing from the military, what do you honestly expect will be the outcome?

ReputationRep:
    The story disgusts me and I'm glad he is in prison. As for hoping he gets raped or killed - definitely not. There is no justification for his act or some vigilante act in retaliation. I'm glad he's been locked away by the United States.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Annoying-Mouse)
    He rapes a 14 year old girl. Raping is immoral and sick. You hope he gets raped in jail but that isn't immoral and sick? You also believe he should be killed? Well ain't you just one happy sane person rather than a twisted sadistic individual.
    Eye for an eye.
    He raped and killed people,
    why not have it done to him? Let him know what it feels like?
    If we actually fit punishments to crimes, our justice system would be much more of a deterrent.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 22, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.