Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

:bump:

Anyone else interested in reviving this? If we work quickly, we could probably have a September sitting.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Abiraleft)
      :bump:

Anyone else interested in reviving this? If we work quickly, we could probably have a September sitting.
      I didn't know it existed but I'm up for taking part .

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Emmie3303)
      I didn't know it existed but I'm up for taking part .
      :bump:Anyone else interested in reviving this? If we work quickly, we could probably have a September sitting.

We have done the Snowman & Tale of Two Cities in the interim you know. Join the soc and have a look at the threads. Potiron is our group leader nowadays.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by BookWormShanti)
      We have done the Snowman & Tale of Two Cities in the interim you know. Join the soc and have a look at the threads. Potiron is our group leader nowadays.
      Thanks! I'll take a look now .

There don't seem to be any such threads associated to the soc? That's why I thought this group had died.

Have there been nominations/discussions very recently?

ReputationRep:
        There don't seem to be any such threads associated to the soc? That's why I thought this group had died.

Have there been nominations/discussions very recently?
        Nothing's happened very recently, we never discussed our last book, A Tale of Two Cities, and I don't know how many people have read it. It seems to have been on hold for a while.

And there should be threads associated with the group unless I've done it wrong

But I'd be up for giving it another stab, yep.

ReputationRep:
        Newbie!

I stumbled across this thread today and read through most of the threads. It's a shame that the interest seems to have fallen but maybe it will come back up? I would love to join if it is still going.

Do I join this thread or the group? *stupid newbie question I know but I'm not sure*

(Original post by Obsidian)
          Newbie!

I stumbled across this thread today and read through most of the threads. It's a shame that the interest seems to have fallen but maybe it will come back up? I would love to join if it is still going.

Do I join this thread or the group? *stupid newbie question I know but I'm not sure*
          By posting, you've already 'joined' the thread. All you have to do is go to the group page and press 'Join Group'.

(Original post by Potiron)
          Nothing's happened very recently, we never discussed our last book, A Tale of Two Cities, and I don't know how many people have read it. It seems to have been on hold for a while.

And there should be threads associated with the group unless I've done it wrong

But I'd be up for giving it another stab, yep.
          There are threads associated with the group, but nothing after May '11, I think. I meant that the books BookWormShanti mentioned (The Snowman and A Tale of Two Cities) did not seem to have associated threads.

Would we need to garner more attention before we proceeded? Or would it be a good idea to go ahead and make a nominations thread for September/October?

ReputationRep:
          Thanks very much Very useful post for me - I have joined the group now. I think I have Heart of Darkness and Tale of Two Cities around here somewhere - will have to dig them out soon.

Maybe putting nominations and a poll on this thread in a little while might attract more attention? Perhaps people prefer to see what books are avaliable rather than nominating them themselves? As it is after results day now, perhaps this thread might see more action? I hope so

On a side note - what has everyone been reading recently and am I the only one who makes a pile of books I haven't read yet? :p:)

ReputationRep:
          :hi:

I just wanted to say that I'm now leading this group and I'll hope to have a discussion thread for Tale of Two Cities & maybe a nominations thread for Sept open very soon.

I've only just got back home from a sleepover where I managed to have a half an hour sleep though, so bear with me a while!

The link to join the group is here if you haven't found it.

x
          x

ReputationRep:
          On a side note - what has everyone been reading recently and am I the only one who makes a pile of books I haven't read yet? :p:)
          I thought I'd reply to this for the fun of it, as I have my list ready to hand on the computer.

Yes, I do - but generally I make lists :blush:

What have you been reading?

Vaguely seperated into categories. So many Victorians because I'm anticipating my AS course - though sadly I didn't take the school's list with me and ended up wrongly guessing what was on it :sad:

I'd recommend them all more or less but the bold I would rave about.

Howards End – EM Forster
          Room with a View – EM Forster
          Passage to India – EM Forster

The French Lieutenant’s Woman – John Fowles
          Madame Bovary – Gustave Flaubert
          The Picture of Dorian Gray – Oscar Wilde
          Wuthering Heights – Emily Bronte
          Possession – AS Byatt
          The Woman in White – Wilkie Collins
          North and South – Elisabeth Gaskell
          Middlemarch – George Eliot
          Vanity Fair – William Makepeace Thackeray (about 1/2 through)

Started: History of Sexuality – Micheal Foucault
          York Notes for Paradise Lost
          York Notes for The Waste Land
          York Notes for Wuthering Heights
          A book about The Quartets - can't remember the title

Mrs Warren’s Profession – George Bernard Shaw
          Arcadia

Paradise Lost – John Milton
          Paradise Regained - John Milton

In Memoriam – Tennyson
          Selected Poems – Tennyson (and other poems from his selected works)
          20. Hiawatha – Henry Longfellow

ReputationRep:
          I'm currently reading Teach Yourself: Complete Russian, Overthrow, The Junior Officers' Reading Club, Letters to a Law Student and the Discourses of Epictetus. I've read all of these before (bar the Russian), but my dad has pinched my ereader. I'm also reading On War.

ReputationRep:
          Can I join please?

ReputationRep:
          ooh this looks rather interesting...i started reading the threads and realiesed that it started a while back and almost gave up hope till i jumped to the last..and it's alive! i think
          is the group still recruiting?

ReputationRep:
          I thought I'd reply to this for the fun of it, as I have my list ready to hand on the computer.

Yes, I do - but generally I make lists :blush:

What have you been reading?

Vaguely seperated into categories. So many Victorians because I'm anticipating my AS course - though sadly I didn't take the school's list with me and ended up wrongly guessing what was on it :sad:

I'd recommend them all more or less but the bold I would rave about.

Howards End – EM Forster
          Room with a View – EM Forster
          Passage to India – EM Forster

The French Lieutenant’s Woman – John Fowles
          Madame Bovary – Gustave Flaubert
          The Picture of Dorian Gray – Oscar Wilde
          Wuthering Heights – Emily Bronte
          Possession – AS Byatt
          The Woman in White – Wilkie Collins
          North and South – Elisabeth Gaskell
          Middlemarch – George Eliot
          Vanity Fair – William Makepeace Thackeray (about 1/2 through)

Started: History of Sexuality – Micheal Foucault
          York Notes for Paradise Lost
          York Notes for The Waste Land
          York Notes for Wuthering Heights
          A book about The Quartets - can't remember the title

Mrs Warren’s Profession – George Bernard Shaw
          Arcadia

Paradise Lost – John Milton
          Paradise Regained - John Milton

In Memoriam – Tennyson
          Selected Poems – Tennyson (and other poems from his selected works)
          20. Hiawatha – Henry Longfellow

Good to know it is not only me! On my current pile is:

Re-reads: (the middle four are my possible coursework options, need to decide between Yates + Albee or the two F.Scott Fitzgeralds)
          Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte
          Revolutionary Road by Richard Yates
          Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf - Edward Albee
          The Beautiful and Damned - F.Scott Fitzgerald
          Tender is the Night - F.Scott Fitzgerald
          Frankenstein - Mary Shelley

New Reads:
          Jude the Obscure - Thomas Hardy
          A Passage to India - E.M. Forster
          Crime and Punishment - Fyodor Dostoyevsky

We have some similar books. Did you enjoy Passage to India?

EDIT: I have a few more on the ebook reader including 'Heart of Darkness'. I will get around to reading it, I will

ReputationRep:
          I'm always reading so count me in please

ReputationRep:
          To anyone wondering, as I found out a few posts above this one.
          The group is still very much open to new members I am one myself. Bookwormshanti very kindly posted the link for us, again a few posts up.

Thanks again Bookwormshanti,
          Obsidian

ReputationRep:
          Yes, to everyone above - of course you can join

Good to know it is not only me! On my current pile is:

Re-reads: (the middle four are my possible coursework options, need to decide between Yates + Albee or the two F.Scott Fitzgeralds)
          Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte
          Revolutionary Road by Richard Yates
          Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf - Edward Albee
          The Beautiful and Damned - F.Scott Fitzgerald
          Tender is the Night - F.Scott Fitzgerald
          Frankenstein - Mary Shelley

New Reads:
          Jude the Obscure - Thomas Hardy
          A Passage to India - E.M. Forster
          Crime and Punishment - Fyodor Dostoyevsky

We have some similar books. Did you enjoy Passage to India?

EDIT: I have a few more on the ebook reader including 'Heart of Darkness'. I will get around to reading it, I will
          Great list! Yeah, we've got some similar stuff I really, really enjoyed 'Passage to India' - you got an amazing sense of the country, the heat, the characters - I was totally immersed. I didn't adore it in the same way as I adored Howard's End but I could see that, objectively, it was the better of the two novels. HE has some slightly 'unlikely' plots which could be seen as a bit clunky, and the scope of PtI is that bit huger. I'd recommend it for sure.

How's Jude the Obscure? I have a completely irrational block when it comes to Hardy, which I should be trying harder to overcome.

As for your choice, I've heard great things of 'Virginia Woolf' though I don't know Yates. Fitzgerald is considered a god by most of TSR - I've only read Gastby myself and while I enjoyed it I wasn't as blown away as I expected.

ReputationRep:
          Yes, to everyone above - of course you can join

Great list! Yeah, we've got some similar stuff I really, really enjoyed 'Passage to India' - you got an amazing sense of the country, the heat, the characters - I was totally immersed. I didn't adore it in the same way as I adored Howard's End but I could see that, objectively, it was the better of the two novels. HE has some slightly 'unlikely' plots which could be seen as a bit clunky, and the scope of PtI is that bit huger. I'd recommend it for sure.

How's Jude the Obscure? I have a completely irrational block when it comes to Hardy, which I should be trying harder to overcome.

As for your choice, I've heard great things of 'Virginia Woolf' though I don't know Yates. Fitzgerald is considered a god by most of TSR - I've only read Gastby myself and while I enjoyed it I wasn't as blown away as I expected.

I haven't read Jude yet, but I enjoyed Tess of the D'Urbervilles so I wanted to give it a go.

Nobody, not even my English teachers, had heard of Yates when I started to talk about it at school. Quite a tragic tale really as when he died all of his novels were out of print but they are making a revival now. I love Revolutionary Road (it was made into a film in 2008 as well) and I am hoping to read a few more of his works. I would recommend giving him a try (maybe I'll nominate it for the next TSR Book club read )

As for Woolf, same here! I have heard lots about her but never actually read anything by the great lady. As well as reading it for English Lit. benefits and general reading pleasure, as part of my A level Music course, I will be looking at the film 'The Hours' which is based on Mrs. Dalloway (sort of), hence my choice. Plus it's only £2 on Amazon if you buy Penguin Classics

Must confess that I am a Fitzgerald lover but I did Gatsby for AS level so we explored every nook and cranny, almost. For me, I love it because every time I read it something else pops out at me. I like his writing style, although I can see why others might not. I've also read 'Tender is the Night' and 'The Beautiful and Damned' as well as some of his short stories, including 'The Curious Case of Benjamin Button'.

Re-reading Wuthering Heights at the moment, it's much better the second time around knowing who is who! So many repeated names...

ReputationRep:
          Was going to join. Then I saw the books you read, and decided I wouldn't fit in. :laugh:
          I suppose theres a bit of a difference between Terry Pratchett and the books you read.

*retreats*

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
        Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
      • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
        Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.