Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How much do you judge people based on their taste in music? Watch

SO what music do you all like?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drunk Punx)
    Oh I seeeeee. Fair do's.
    I'm feeling really pedantic this morning, probably because I haven't been for a smoke/had anything to eat yet.
    To be fair, my original post was a bit confusing. Enjoy your smoke!

ReputationRep:
    I try not to judge people on it, but I think you can tell a lot about people from what they listen to, I don't mean like class or intelligence but maybe aspirations and attitudes?

I love it when you see people listening to stuff you really wouldn't expect, like I a really hard looking guy listening to Justin Beiber I think it's nice that they have little quirks and guilty pleasures

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steezy)
    To be fair, my original post was a bit confusing. Enjoy your smoke!
    Athankyou, my good sir :hat2:

ReputationRep:
    I like MGMT, Arctic Monkeys, Disturbed, Rufus Wainrwright, Ray Lamontagne and Coldplay.

What does that make me

ReputationRep:
    A thread full of judgmental *******s. Perfect for TSR.

ReputationRep:
    If you think rock fans are obnoxious, then I sincerely hope you never happen across the people in black metal who consider themselves "kvlt", or the thrashers who populate the Metal-Archive forums.
    It's usually a hilarious clash between the two with many a ban on both sides :teehee:
    God I hate those forums. The worst is when someone who doesn't know much about metal asks for some bands and classics and they just take the piss non stop because he hasn't already heard of tygers of pan tang, sacred reich, and (insert other random unknown metal band here). Elitist *******s all of them.

And if anyone ever starts a thread in the non metal forum asking what other music people listen to besides metal, a mod posts "ooh look at me, I listen to other stuff I'm so eclectic!) and bans the thread. All *******s. I only use it for the reccomendation forum, the guys there have found me some seriously good bands. Swallow the sun and Nox Aurea for one.

ReputationRep:
    The type of music you like does actually say a lot about you, so its not wrong to stereotype. That said, there are always exceptions, but there are definate personality traits you can associate with genres of music.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jono404)
    I also hate the 'I listen to anything!' people who basically mean they listen to the most commercial overplayed group in every genre, ie Kings of Leon, David Guetta and Pendulum.
    I disagree with that. I consider myself to be someone who "listens to anything" but I listen to a lot of Fenech-Soler, Wiz Khalifa, XV, Yelle, Cansei de Ser Sexy etc. Very diverse genres but hardly overplayed and commercial dare I say.

That being said, I do listen to a lot of Kanye West, The xx, The Killers and Maroon 5 (please don't kill me) so it just depends on who you are I guess.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by py0alb)
    Put it like this: every level of education higher I have gone, the number of people who aren't interested in music or are but like like unchallenging music like MOR or commercial pop music has gone down, whilst the number of people who like challenging, innovative, complex music like classical, jazz, non-commercial hip-hop and metal have gone up.

My experience was:

At school? 5% liked metal
    At undergrad? 30% liked metal
    At postgrad? 90% liked metal

You don't think metal is complex or intellectually stimulating then? I guess you're not a metal fan then.
    Like I said, I agree with the basic observation and I also see the correlation you point out with liking metal music and level of education - I just think that it is down to social factors more than intelligence e.g. geekiness and a basic willingness to listen to things and discover new music forms even if they aren't particularly cool or whatever. Also, I think the last two apply more as people get older too.

And yes, I am actually a metal fan - metal was most of what I listened to when I was a teenager. I just don't think that most of it is that much more complex or deep in comparison with other rock and pop. Of course it depends what we are talking about, some things are deeper than others (I'd say things like Meshuggah and Opeth come to mind) whereas your basic Metallica and whatnot is just balls out rock with a heavier sonority.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CherryCherryBoomBoom)
    I've found though, that many rock fans tend to be pretty obnoxious. No offence, but it's generally true, unless someone can really prove me wrong.
    I beg to differ. I've found some of the nicest people I've ever met through the rock society at my university.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mc1000)
    I disagree entirely. As both a metal and classical fan (favourites being prog metal and late romantic; Opeth and Mahler respectively), I can say that there is a very large chunk of metal that is very similar to one hell of a lot of Mahler. I call Mahler the 'Opeth of classical music' because they're two artists who work heavily with dynamics; and use complex structures in their music. Opeth have written very few songs with the standard structure. Hell, if I was musical enough I'd arrange the loud, dischordant bit of the first movement of Mahler's 8th for death metal. It would work ridiculously well.

Do you know stuff like Opeth, Dream Theater, Symphony X, etc? Listen to a 10-minute plus song of theirs, and this is when metal becomes much closer to classical in structural sense than chart pop.
    Firstly, Opeth are one of my favourite bands and Mahler is one of my favourite composers

But - pretty much most forms of symphonic music relies heavily on dynamics... Opeth are unique within metal for the extent of their dynamic and textural range but Mahler wasn't in the romantic realm.

Yeah, I know Dream Theater and Symphony X. I even like a lot of Dream Theater but I am under no illusion that they produce deep music. Just because they have a lot of fast lines, metric modulation and non-standard structure - I don't think they compare to Opeth even for example. I mean, dream theater do some clever metric stuff sometimes and feature a lot of virtuostic passages but basically, they are harmonically and texturally very simple - they have fairly standard chord progressions with a lot of fast passage work on top.

Don't get me wrong, Opeth, Dream Theater they are great but they don't match the level of complexity and consideration of Mahler in any sense. They have different attributes but I think comparing directly is like comparing a go kart to an F1 car.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Luceria)
    Not really. Though in some cases I'd probably would judge them a little bit on their music taste. I like a lot of different things. From Mozart to Metallica to put it mildly. Though there are some genres I don't listen to. (Hip hop, rap, death metal etc). And not overly sweet or whiny songs. I do like rock, alternative rock, classical etc.

Right now I'm listening to Globus.. I love Immediate Music, they make awesome trailer music. And Globus is a "cinematic rock band". . Playing Immediate Music's music with lyrics, lol. I highly recommend them!
    Or just check out Immediate Music or E.S Posthumus. They're brilliant!
    They are beautiful! I'm so glad someone else besides me appreciates them!

ReputationRep:
    I don't judge anyone on the basis of their musical preferences. My friends listen to music that I'd never dream of listening to but it doesn't bother me in the slightest.

ReputationRep:
    A wee bit. I'll instantly want to talk to someone if I know they like hip-hop, but generally I like it when people have a certain 'taste' in music i.e. love a genre, and have looked into it further than what's given to them in the charts. I won't think any less of a person if all they listen to is the stuff off the Radio 1 playlist, I'll just think "why do you listen to such pish music?" and then carry on the conversation.

ReputationRep:
    :eek:
    Eh? That's really confused me :teehee:
    You wanting me to recommend you black metal with the bands that I know, or are you wanting me to take recommendations for myself from bands that you know?

Being honest, the only band that I really got along with out of that list was Agalloch. One day I'll actually get my arse in gear and go up to see them play in London. Damn motivation.
    It was meant to confuse you . I'm kidding mate, I want YOU yes, YOU Drunk Punx to recommend some Black Metal bands with the bands that you know . Sorry about the confusion I was trying to watch Come Dine with Me Christmas Special while I was typing my post :rolleyes:. I mainly listen to Death, Thrash, Groove and Prog Metal but I want to expand my field of Black Metal; I first heard of Agalloch due to the fact the band was being reviewed by one of my favourite Youtubers (TheNeedleDrop), I listened to Agalloch and I was amazed . Have a good day , I have to go into town to complete my Christmas shopping, it's going to be a ****ing nightmare :eek:.

ReputationRep:
    if you like S Club 7, gtfo

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by asparkyn)
    They are beautiful! I'm so glad someone else besides me appreciates them!
    Another fan :awesome: .. Brilliant!

ReputationRep:
    Well, the sort of music they listen to, comes with a certain stereotype, I think. But in general, it doesn't really bother me what kind of music people listen to.

Apart from when people say they don't like Stevie Wonder. That's just odd.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AlligatorTears)
    if you like S Club 7, gtfo
    :rofl:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.