Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How do YOU make a cup of tea? :) Watch

ReputationRep:
    Add tea leaves to preheated cup, add hot water, leave for three minutes.
    None of that teabag crap.

ReputationRep:
    Black coffee for the win.

ReputationRep:
    What usually happens is I add boiling water to a teabag and add some milk. Then I clean up the mess and try it again with a cup.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by glance)
    I'm totally in agreement with you about the water level falling after the removal of the teabag, it's an important observation. In stage 5 I tend to add the water up to about 1cm from the brim, though, and then post-removal of teabag replace the lost volume with milk to, again, about 1cm from the brim.
    Ahh, I always have to make my own cup because whenever anybody else does it, the cup seems to only be 3/4s of the way full. :confused: Cup must be full. It definitely is an important observation; tea making is an art! Your amount of milk is just right - if I were going to add milk I would add only about that much. Takes away from the bitterness black tea can sometimes have, without overpowering the flavour. :cool:

ReputationRep:
    Cup, tea bag, hot water, leave for a little bit (press down on teabag a little), TAKE TEA BAG OUT, add milk. It grosses me out when there's milk in the tea bag :s:

ReputationRep:
    I just tried it with milk in the mug, and then the tea bag, then the water. Tastes different. I think

ReputationRep:
    Boil half a cup of water in pot, add tea bag, add some cinnamon sticks. then, add half a cup of milk. boil twice. makes tea for 1 person

ReputationRep:
    When using a Teapot I put the milk in the cup first followed by the tea (and sugar if I'm making the tea for someone else lol)
    Whereas if I'm making Tea in the cup I put the milk in first, then the teabag, then the boiling water

ReputationRep:
    Teabag (yorkshire red box), water, stir, milk (1 per cent), stir, take teabag out, add more water / milk if necessary. Yum.

ReputationRep:
    Tea granules, sugar, water, milk.
    can't be fussed with all that tea-bag malarky.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iorek)
    I like my tea without water, I usually boil or microwave a mug of milk then add a teabag to it.

Has to be whole milk not that skim junks.
    you are weird. :-) sounds crazy to a german ear. most people here prefer coffee. Sometimes I put some milk in my tea. My friends thought I must be nuts. they thought it is disgusting and they even refused to taste it. :-) But I would never dare to ask for a cup of tea and mik in a restaurant. Maybe they would ask whether I am pregnant to do such disgusting things. It is totally different here.

Once I have tried to put milk in fruit tea. that was disgusting. I just wanted to try it. Does milk only work with earl grey tea??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thesilvermagnolia)
    Lots of people put the milk in the cup, then the teabag, then the water......

I do teabag, water, milk...

What about you?
    Teabag
    Freshly boiled water (re-boiled water loses oxygen) while stirring
    *Remove teabag after 2 minutes* IMPORTANT
    Add milk

Done.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cynthi007)
    you are weird. :-) sounds crazy to a german ear. most people here prefer coffee. Sometimes I put some milk in my tea. My friends thought I must be nuts. they thought it is disgusting and they even refused to taste it. :-) But I would never dare to ask for a cup of tea and mik in a restaurant. Maybe they would ask whether I am pregnant to do such disgusting things. It is totally different here.

Once I have tried to put milk in fruit tea. that was disgusting. I just wanted to try it. Does milk only work with earl grey tea??
    Earl Gray is a special blend of tea, therefore you are not supposed to put milk into it.

If you are wanting to make milk tea, you need to get plain tea or English Breakfast Tea.

ReputationRep:
    Tea bag in, leave it in for a few minutes to strengthen (none of this dishwater-like tea), then a drop of whole milk.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thesilvermagnolia)
    Lots of people put the milk in the cup, then the teabag, then the water......

I do teabag, water, milk...

What about you?

Same.

ReputationRep:
    Teabag, water, milk, sugar.
    (PG Tips)!

ReputationRep:
    Well normally I make earl grey, without milk or sugar so often its teabag then water and that's it.

Suposedly I should drink earl grey with lemon but to be honest I can never be bothered to mess around like that.

ReputationRep:
    2 teaspoons of sugar, add just enough milk to cover them, pour in the boiling water then put the teabag in untill it turns the perfect colour.

I want tea now. D:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iorek)
    Earl Gray is a special blend of tea, therefore you are not supposed to put milk into it.

If you are wanting to make milk tea, you need to get plain tea or English Breakfast Tea.
    ah. ok. thanks. I will try it.
    It worked with earl gray tea but it does not look that good. :-)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Megaross)
    Boil the kettle, 2 teabags (1 pg tips and 1 tetleys), boiling water on teabags, then microwave for a minute to keep water scalding while it brews. Then remove and squeeze teabags. Add a splash of cold water to make it drinkable and enjoy.
    No gay milk and sugar in my tea, just deliciously strong tea.

I usually just pour water on a teabag if I'm lazy though.
    seriously, how the f**k does milk and sugar make tea gay. you absolute towel.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.