Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cameronn)
    Hey, just out of interest, did your tutor say how they did choose candidates?
    I got an offer for Biology in early November from Durham, and I was surprised about it, considering how early it was (deadline being in January). I assume that most applicants have really similar grades/subjects?
    He didn't say specifically but Durham use the 'point' system, so they mark on how good your GCSE's are, A levels, Personal Statement, Reference, Extra curricular stuff (virtually every Durham student do at least one thing beyond their studies) and also you get additional points for low performing schools.

But essential they want enthusiasm and 'potential', whatever the heck that means. Really they should have a interview system, its the fairest way IMO. But I am quite cynical since I am looking for grad jobs lol.

ReputationRep:
    I got an offer on the 15th of Feb.

Though I'm really shocked looking on here , so many rejections with much higher grades, Mine are only AAB :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flisshg)
    I got an offer on the 15th of Feb.

Though I'm really shocked looking on here , so many rejections with much higher grades, Mine are only AAB :confused:
    What subjects and grades did you do at AS (and your UMS score in Biology)...or anything of particular interest on PS? I think they looked at UMS for biology this year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Johnny Luk)
    I am sorry to hear that guys, my tutor is the admissions tutor for Biology and he said its been very tough this year.

They will in the next few years move the grades up to AAA for Biology (via a transition period),

also he said about 90% of the personal statement mentioned 'David Attenborough' lol
    LOL, i know i mentioned david attenborough, even though i didn't apply to durham

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Crazydavy)
    What subjects and grades did you do at AS (and your UMS score in Biology)...or anything of particular interest on PS? I think they looked at UMS for biology this year.
    My school puts everything as pending including my as so they don't have my ums or as grades. My predicted grades are AAB in biology, geography and chemistry (that order) with as's in maths and Spanish. (b and a d... oops)
    My GCSE's were kinda average too, 3*'s 7a's and 1b.
    I don't think my ps had anything really. I have quite a few extra circulars, no sports really though also I didn't mention David Attenbrough, though looking at the poster above I'm thinking maybe that was a good thing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flisshg)
    My school puts everything as pending including my as so they don't have my ums or as grades. My predicted grades are AAB in biology, geography and chemistry (that order) with as's in maths and Spanish. (b and a d... oops)
    My GCSE's were kinda average too, 3*'s 7a's and 1b.
    I don't think my ps had anything really. I have quite a few extra circulars, no sports really though also I didn't mention David Attenbrough, though looking at the poster above I'm thinking maybe that was a good thing?
    I didn't show my UMS either, but I'm 90% sure universities can find out regardless. Well done anyway, maybe they didn't like the fact I don't do chemistry

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Crazydavy)
    I didn't show my UMS either, but I'm 90% sure universities can find out regardless. Well done anyway, maybe they didn't like the fact I don't do chemistry
    Can they? Oh my gosh that is not good! my chemistry modules are terrible (bbabce, I’m a resit student but again, my school insists on not aggregating and putting everything as pending) Though maybe that’s worked in my favour for bio as they were a's

ReputationRep:
    It's weird isn't it...stupid university!

Plus I got 4 As for my module results this time around too! Taking my AS results up to AABB, (art, maths, biology, physics). Am now predicted AAB too! (Maths, biology and physics)

ReputationRep:
    Me (Biology with foundation)! Just got my offer last friday.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.